download PDF

Abstract

The article deals with one of the very complicated and controversial problematic of transitivity – the problem of the formation of a new identity of society under the passing from Antiquity to the Middle Ages. The époque of Late Antiquity (the 4th – 7th centuries) having become a subject of special research comparatively not very long ago, gives a stunning pattern of replacement of social-cultural paradigm, when the deep transformation of all the social foundations, changing of mental structures, particularly, the crisis of traditional ethnocultural identity and a forming of a new one were taking place. In this article, an attempt of analysis of mechanisms of these global changes is made. Package treatment of ethnic, political, religious and cultural aspects of identity gives to the article interdisciplinary character.

The author shows how was the habitual principle of human separation in the Hellenes and the Romans on the one hand and ‘barbarians’ on the other hand, replaced in Eusebius’ work by a new principle depending on confession. Whereby the mechanisms of such mental transformation were rather soft without the need for drastic break with the tradition. The author points the two ones. First, it was a rethinking of traditional categories when their meaning moved from the ethno-geographic sphere to political one. One more mechanism was emphasis transfer from ethnic to ethical and moral characteristics.

For the Christian author the main criteria for distinguishing some people of others became now a moral characteristics, existence some moral virtues in one or another people, mode of life and behaviors. As a result, the fi rst church historian, not breaking any traditional beliefs and perceptions, came to quite new interpretation of identity of that society.

Therefore, thinking in the frames of previous paradigm, the fi rst church historian carried out a revolutionary change in oekumene perception, changing not only certain assessments of some people but also a principle itself for humanity division. In the context of the crisis of the roman identity when traditional ideals and values of Roman society became a thing of the past irreversibly, the fi rst Christian historian Eusebius of Caesarea validates a new form of identity which is religious. Among the all peoples of the oekumene he distinguishes the Christian one, enduing it with all that values and merits that new society will identify itself with.

Keywords

Late Antiquity, ethno-cultural identity, Eusebius of Caesarea, Christianity, «Church History».

IrinaYu. Vashcheva

N.I. Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Ahrweiler, H. 1975: L’idéologie politique de l’empire byzantin. Paris.

Barnes, T. D. 1981: Constantine and Eusebius. Cambridge.

Cameron, A. 1971: Agathius. Oxford.

Cameron, A. 1985: Procopius and the Sixth Century. London.

Cameron, A. 2010: The Byzantines. Wiley–Blackwell.

Cameron, A. 2014: Byzantine matters. Princeton.

Cameron, A., Cameron, A. 1964: Christianity and Tradition in the Historiography of the Late Empire. The Classical Quarterly (New Series) 14/2, 316–328.

Chesnut, G. 1977: The First Christian Histories: Eusebius, Socrates, Sozomen, Theodoret and Evagrius. Paris.

Chrysos, E. 1996: The Roman Political Identity in Late Antiquity and Early Byzantium in Byzantium. In: K. Fledelius (ed.), Identity, Image, Infl uence. XIX International Congress of Byzantine Studies. University of Copenhagen, 18–24 August, 1996. Major Papers. Copenhagen, 7–16.

Colish, M.L.1985: The Stoic tradition from Antiquity to the Early Middle Ages. Brill.

Comparetti, D. 1997: Vergil in the Middle Ages. Princeton.

Dagron, G. 1964: Aux origines de la civilisation byzantine: langue de culture et langue d’état. Revue historique 241, 23–56.

Digeser, E. 2006: Christian or Hellene? The great persecution and the problem of identity. In: R.M. Frakes, E. Digeser (eds.), Religious Identity in Late antiquity. Toronto.

Digeser, E., Frakes, R.M., Stephens, J. 2010: The Rhetoric of Power in Late Antiquity: Religion and Politics in Byzantium, Europe and the Early Islamic World. London–New York.

Fouracre, P. (еd.) 2005: The New Cambridge Medieval History: c. 500 – c. 700. Cambridge.

Geary, P.J. 1983: Ethnic Identity as a Situational Construct in the Early Middle Ages. Mitteilungen der anthropologischen Gesellschaft in Wien 113, 15–26.

Gibbon, E.H. 1997: Istoriya upadka i razrusheniya Rimskoy imperii [The History of the Decline and Destruction of the Roman Empire]. Pt. II. Moscow.

van Ginkel, J.-J., Murre-Van den Berg, H.L., van Lint, T.M. (eds.), 2005: Redefi ning Christian Identity. Cultural Interaction in the Middle East since the Rise of Islam. Leuven–Paris– Dudley.

Grant, R.M. 1980: Eusebius as Church Historian. Oxford.

Grigoryuk, T.V. 2011: «Rimskiy narod» v IV v. n.e. [“Roman people” in the 4th century AD]. In: V.V. Dementieva (ed.), Narod i demokratiya v drevnosti. Doklady rossijsko-germanskoy nauchnoy konferentsii [The People and Democracy in Antiquity. Papers of the Russian- German Scientifi c Conference]. Yaroslavl, 287–292.

Iricinschi, Ed., Zellentin, H.M. (eds.). 2008: Heresy and Identity in Late Antiquity. Texts and Studies in Ancient Judaism 119. Tubingen.

Kaldellis, A. 2004: Procopius of Caesarea: Tyranny, History and Philosophy at the End of Antiquity. Philadelphia.

Kaldellis, A.E. 2007: Hellenism in Byzantium: the transformations of Greek Identity and the Reception of the Classical Tradition (Greek Culture in the Roman World). Cambridge–New York.

Kaldellis, A.E. 2012: From Rome to New Rom, from Empire to Nation-State: Reopening the Question of Byzantium’s Roman Identity. In: L. Grig, G. Kelly (eds.), Two Romes. Rome and Constantinople in Late Antiquity. Oxford–New York, 387–404.

Kazhdan, A. P. 1965: Ot Khrista k Konstantinu [From Christ to Constantine]. Moscow.

Koder, J. 1996: Byzantinische Identität– einleitende Bemerkungen in Byzantium. In: K. Fledelius (ed.), Identity, Image, Infl uence. XIX International Congress of Byzantine Studies. University of Copenhagen, 18–24 August, 1996. Major Papers. Copenhagen, 3–6.

Koder, J. 2012: Sprache als Identitätsmerkmal bei den Byzantinern. Auf -isti endende sprachbezogene Adverbien in den griechischen Quellen. Anzeiger der Philosophischhistorischen Klasse. 147/2, 5–37.

Korelin, M.S. 1901: Padenie antichnogo mirosozercaniya (kul’turnyj krizis v Rimskoy imperii) [The Fall of the Ancient World Outlook (the Cultural Crisis in the Roman Empire)]. Sankt Petersburg.

Krivushin, I.V. 1996: Evseviy Kesariyskiy, otets tserkovnoy istorii [Eusebius of Caesarea, the Father of Church History]. In: I.V. Krivushin, N.V. Revyakina (eds.), Intellektual’naya istoriya v litsah: Sem’ portretov mysliteley Srednevekov’ya i Vozrozhdeniya [Intellectual history in the faces: Seven images of thinkers of the Middle Ages and Renaissance]. Ivanovo, 7–24.

Krivushin, I.V. 1998: Rannevizantiyskaya tserkovnaya istoriografi ya [Early Byzantine church historiography]. Sankt Petersburg.

Krivushin, I.V.1995: Rozhdenie tserkovnoy istoriografi i: Evseviy Kesariyskiy [The Birth of Church Historiography: Eusebius of Caesarea]. Ivanovo.

Kryvelev, I. A. 1985: Bibliya: istoriko-kriticheskiy analiz [Bible: historical-critical analysis]. Moscow.

Laurence, R., Berry, J. (eds.). 1998: Cultural Identity in the Roman Empire. London.

Lebedev, A.P. 2000: Tserkovnaya istoriografi ya v glavnykh ee predstavitelyakh s IV do XX vv. [Church historiography in its main representatives from the 4th to 20th centuries]. Sankt Petersburg.

Nguyen, V.H.T. 2008: Christian Identity in Corinth: A Comparative Study of 2 Corinthians, Epictetus and Valerius Maximus (Wissenschaftlishe Untersuhungen zum Neuen Testament. 2/243). Tübingen.

Overbeck, F. 1892: Uber die Anlange der Kirchengeschichtssc hreibung. Basel. Page Gill 2008: Being Byzantine: Greek Identity before the Ottomans. Cambridge. [Электрон- ный ресурс]. Режим доступа: http://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/tmr/article/ view/ 16788/22906.

Pohl, W., Heydemann, G. (eds.) 2013: Strategies of Identifi cation: Ethnicity and Religion in Early Medieval Europe. Turnhout.

Rapp, C. 2008. Hellenic Identity, Romanitas and Christianity in Byzantium. In: K. Zacharia (ed.), Hellenismus. Culture, Identity, and Ethnicity from Antiquity to Modernity. Aldershot, 127–147.

Schwartz, E. 1957: Griechische Geschichtsschreiber. Leipzig.

Shukurov, R.M. 2008: Konfessiya, ehtnichnost’ i vizantiyskaya identichnost’ [Confession, ethnicity and Byzantine identity] [http://www.centre-fr.net/spip.php?article169&lang=ru].

Smythe, D.C. 1996: Byzantine Identity and Labelling Theory. In: In: K. Fledelius (ed.), Identity, Image, Infl uence. XIX International Congress of Byzantine Studies. University of Copenhagen, 18–24 August 1996. Major Papers. Copenhagen, 26–36.

Stouraitis, I. 2014: Roman Identity in Byzantium: a Critical Approach. Byzantinische Zeitschrift. 107/1, 175–220.

Trompf, G. 1979: The Idea of Historical Recurrence in Western Thought: From Antiquity to the Reformation. Berkeley.

Udaltsova, Z.V. 1984: Razvitie istoricheskoy mysli [Development of historical thought]. In: Kul’tura Vizantii. IV – pervaya polovina VII veka [Culture of Byzantium. The 4th to the fi rst half of the 7th century]. Moscow, 182–191.

Vashcheva, I.Yu. 2002: Etnokul’turnye i konfessional’nye gruppy v mirovozzrenii pervogo khristianskogo istorika [Ethno-cultural and confessional groups in the worldview of the first Christian historian]. In: A.V. Makhlayuk (ed.), Akra. Sbornik nauchnyh trudov [Akra. Collection of scientifi c papers]. Nizhniy Novgorod, 34–44.

Vashcheva, I.Yu. 2004: Mekhanizmy formirovaniya istoricheskogo soznaniya na rubezhe III– IV vekov (po dannym «Tserkovnoy istorii» Evseviya Kesariyskogo) [Mechanisms of the formation of historical consciousness at the turn of the 3rd – 4th centuries (according to the “Church History” by Eusebius of Caesarea)]. In: E.V. Molev (ed.), Medievistika i social’naya rabota [Medieval Studies and Social Work]. Nizhny Novgorod, 21–49.

Vashcheva, I.Yu. 2005: Antichnye kategorii v mirovospriyatii pervogo tserkovnogo istorika [Ancient categories in the worldview of the fi rst church historian]. In: Drevnee Sredizemnomor’e: religiya, obshchestvo, kul’tura [Ancient Mediterranean: religion, society, culture]. Moscow, 230–254.

Vashcheva, I.Yu. 2006: Evseviy Kesariyskiy i stanovlenie rannesrednevekovogo istorizma [Eusebius of Caesarea and the formation of early medieval historicism]. Sankt Petersburg.

Vashcheva, I.YU. 2012: Krizis rimskoj identichnosti v IV – VII vv. [The crisis of Roman identity in the 4th – 7th centuries]. Voprosy istorii [Issues of History] 10, 110–117.

Wallace-Hadrill, D.S. 1960: Eusebius of Caesarea. London.

Whitby, M. 2006: Procopian Polemics: a Review of A. Kaldellis Procopius of Caesarea. Tyranny, History, and Philosophy at the End of Antiquity. The Classical Review 55(2), 648.

Zacharia, K. (ed.) 2008: Hellenisms: Culture, Identity and Ethnicity from Antiquity to Modernity. Aldershot.