download PDF

Abstract

The present article is devoted to the cult of Constantine the Great (306–337) in the reign of his sons, in particular Constantius II (337–361), whose tenure in power exceeded the duration of his brothers reign. Constantine’s sons came to power after their father’s sudden death; they were quite young – Constans, the youngest of the brothers, was hardly 17 (or even 14 according another source) years old, – and the Constantine’s authority was the only sound of their domination. In accordance with an old (but pagan) tradition Constantine, who was baptized on his deathbed, was deifi ed and became «Divus Constantinus», i.e. public deity of the Roman state pantheon. Veneration of Constantine is documented not only by narrative tradition, but also by numismatic evidences. After Constantine’s death, his sons struck new coin issues, which praised Constantine as the father and protector of young emperors.

Constantius II, whom one narrative source calls «the Constantine’s beloved son», faced with a number of problems in his domestic and foreign policy – the public consensus and the stability on the borders, maintained by Constantine, began to disintegrate. Both his brothers were killed during the civil wars. The phenomenon of provincial and military usurpation, suppressed by Constatine the Great and his predecessors, emerged newly: this circumstance indicates a decline of authority of the central government and Constantius II in particular. The borders – both Eastern and Nothern froniers – claimed Emperor’s attention: Constantius II should repulse attacks by Persians and Germanic tribes. That’s why under Constantius II the image of his father, who was remembered as the most successful emperor of the recent years, acquired a profoundly sacred signifi cance. The narrative tradition indicates that Constantius in his decisions resorted to an ecstatic experience in the form of dreams, during which he allegedly received advice from the late Constantine. This detail is interesting to characterize not only the ideology of the imperial power in this period of Roman history, but of the emperor Constance himself, whose person and time of administration attracted little attention of researchers.

Keywords

Roman Empire, Dominate, imperial ideology, Constantine the Great, the Constantinian dynasty, Constantius II

Ivan A. Mirolyubov

Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Barnes, T.D. 1981: Eusebius and Constantine. London.

Barnes, T.D. 2014: Constantine: Dynasty, Religion and Power in the Later Roman Empire. Malden–Oxford–Chichester.

Brandt, H. 2007: Konstantin der Grosse: Der erste christliche Kaiser. München.

Burckhardt, J. 2003: Vek Konstantina Velikogo [The Age of Constantine the Great]. Moscow.

Burgess, R.W. 2008: The Summer of Blood: The «Great Massacre» of 337 and the Promotion of the Sons of Constantine. Dumbarton Oaks Papers 62, 5–51.

Cataudella, M.R. 2003: Historiography in the East: Ancient History: Petros Patricius and the Anonymus post Dionem. In: G. Marasco (ed.), Greek and Roman historiography in late antiquity. Leiden–Boston, 431–441.

Christ, K. 1997: Istoriya vremen rimskikh imperatorov [The History of the Epoch of Roman Emperors]. Vol. 2. Rostov-on-Don.

Drijvers, J.W. 1992: Flavia Maxima Fausta: Some Remarks. Historia: Zeitschrift für Alte Geschichte 41/4, 500–506.

Gibbon, E. 2008: Zakat i padenie Rimskoi imperii [The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire]. Vol. I. Moscow.

Jones, A.H.M., Martindale, J.R., Morris, J. (eds.) 1971: Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire (PLRE). Vol. I. A.D. 260–395. Cambridge.

Kienast, D. 2004: Römische Kaisertabelle. Grundzüge einer römischen Kaiserchronologie. Darmstadt.

Mashkin, N.A. 2006: Istoriya Drevnego Rima [The History of Ancient Rome]. Moscow.

Mirolyubov, I.A. 2016: Konstantin Velikiy v «Istorii protiv yazychnikov» Pavla Oroziya [Constantine the Great in the “Historia Adversum Paganos” by Paulus Orosius]. Problemy istorii, fi lologii, kul’tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies] 4, 62–70.

Mirolyubov, I.A. 2016: Konstantsiy i Yulian: Otnosheniya vnutri «doma Konstantina» v svete imperatorskoy ikonografi i [Constantius and Julian: the House of Constantine in the light of Imperial Iconography]. In: A.O. Chubaryan (ed.), Pis’mo i povsednevnost’ [Script and Everyday Life]. Vol. 3, 84–85.

Mirolyubov, I.A. 2016: Ob obrazovanii imperatora Konstantina Velikogo [Education of Constantine the Great]. In: Aristey: Vestnik klassicheskoy fi lologii i antichnoy istorii [Aristeas: Bulletin of Classical Philology and Ancient History] XIII, 90–95.

Mommzen, T. 2002: Istoriya rimskikh imperatorov [The History of Roman Emperors]. Saint Petersburg.

Mullerus C. (ed.) 1851: Petri Patricii Fragmenta. In: Fragmenta Historicrum Graecorum. Vol. IV. Parisiis, 181–191.

Neronova, V.D. 1989: Pozdnyaya Rimskaya imperiya (III–V vv.) [The Later Roman Empire in the 3rd –5th centuries AD]. In: I.M. Dyakonov, V.D. Neronova, I.S. Sventsitskaya (ed.), Istoriya drevnego mira [The History of Ancient World]. Vol. 3. Moscow, 295–322.

Niebur, B.G. 1860: O zhizni Petra Magistra [The Life of Petrus Magister]. In: G.S. Destunis (transl.). Vizantiiskie istoriki [Byzantine Historians]. Saint Petersburg, 280–293.

Odahl, Ch.M. 2010: Constantine and the Christian Empire. London–New York.

Ostrogorskiy, G.A. 2011: Istoriya vizantiiskogo gosudarstva [History of the Byzantine State]. Moscow.

Rolfe, J.C. (ed.). 1940: Ammianus Marcellinus: History. Vol. II. London.

Seeck, O. 1900a: Constans. In: Paulys Realencyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft IV/1. Stuttgart, 948–952.

Seeck, O. 1900b: Constantin II. In: Paulys Realencyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft IV/1. Stuttgart, 1026–1028.

Seeck, O. 1900c: Constantius II. In: Paulys Realencyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft IV/1. Stuttgart, 1044–1094.

Sergeev, V.S. 1938: Ocherki po istorii Drevnego Rima [Essays on the History of Ancient Rome]. Vol. 2. Moscow.

Tillemont, L.S. de. 1691: Histoire des empereurs. T. II. Paris.

Tillemont, L.S. de. 1691: Histoire des empereurs. T. II. Paris.

Udaltsova Z.V. 1984: Diplomatiya ranney Vizantii v izobrazhenii sovremennikov [Early Byzantine Diplomacy from the Contemporary Accounts]. In: Z.V. Udaltsova (ed.), Kul’tura Vizantii. IV – pervaya polovina VII v. [Byzantine Culture. The 4th –7th centuries]. Moscow, 371–392.

Vashcheva, I.Yu. 2013: Konstantin Velikiy: variatsii obrazov v khristianskikh istoriiakh pozdney antichnosti [Constantine the Great: Variations of the Character in the Christian Histories of Late Antiquity]. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta imeni N.I. Lobachevskogo [Vestnik of Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod] 4 (3), 46–58.

Vipper, R.Yu. 1996: Istoriya srednikh vekov [The History of Middle Ages]. Kiev.

Weber, G. 2000: Kaiser, Träume und Visionen in Prinzipat und Spätantike. Stuttgart.

Williams, J. 2007: Religion and Roman Coins. In: Rüpke J. (ed.), A Companion to Roman Religion. Malden–Oxford–Carlton, 143–163.