download PDF

Abstract

The article deals with a contingent of mounted archers, who presented in the army of Alexander the Great during his Asian campaign. It is determined that the appearance of a new kind of cavalry in the invader’s army was the result of the subordination of the Central Asian territories. A group of mounted archers, who played a prominent role in the Indian campaign of Alexander, should be re-adopted as a selective unit, staffed by the Dahae and Massagetae, Central Asian nomads who joined the army of the Macedonian king as mercenaries. A thousand squad of these riders, equipped with bows of the “Scythian” type and blade weapons, quickly incorporated into Alexander’s army, becoming one of the most frequently used troops along with Macedonian infantry, cavalry of the hetairoi and the Agrianae. The guarantee of this was the high fi ghting qualities of the cavalry of Central Asian nomads and the peculiarities of Alexander’s military art, in which the use of mobile hulls equipped with the most combat-ready and mobile units was of great importance. During the period of the Indian campaign, mounted archers began to be included in such troops. The tactics of using the latter was based on the traditionally strong sides of the Central Asian lightly armed cavalry, such as maneuverability and excellent archery. In the Battle of Hydaspa, 326 BC, the mounted archers, intensively fi ring at the enemy, weakened him before the decisive attack of the shock heavy cavalry Alexander. Central Asian nomads were repeatedly used to hinder the actions of the enemy during the regrouping of Alexander’s troops. However, the inclusion of mounted archers in the army of the conqueror did not lead to a significant change in the military art of Alexander, but it allowed improving already wellmastered methods of conducting military operations.

Keywords

Alexander the Great, warfare, tactics, mounted archers, Scythians, Dahae, Massagetae

Alexander A. Kleymenov, Sergey S. Ivanov

Tula State Lev Tolstoy University, Tula, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Kyrgyz National University named after Jusup Balasagyn, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Anson, E.M. 2010: The Asthetairoi: Macedonia’s Hoplites. In: E. Carney, D. Ogden (eds.), Philip II and Alexander the Great. Father and Son, Lives and Afterlives. Oxford, 81–90.

Ashley, J.R. 1998: The Macedonian Empire: The Era of Warfare under Philip II and Alexander the Great, 359–323 BC. Jefferson.

Badian, E. 1965: Orientals in Alexander’s Army. The Journal of Hellenic Studies 85, 160–161.

Balakhvantsev, A.S. 2012: Dakhi Sredney Аzii v epokhu Аleksandra Makedonskogo: dannye narrativnoy traditsii [Dahae of Middle Asia in the age of Alexander the Great: the data of narrative traditions]. Vostok [Orient] 1, 29–36.

Barceló, P. 2007: Alexander der Grosse. Darmstadt.

Barua, P.P. 2005: The State at War in South Asia. Lincoln–London.

Baypakov, K.M. 1998: Semirechenskie khudozhestvennye bronzy [Artistic Bronzes from the Semirechie]. Izvestiya Ministerstva nauki – Аkademii nauk Respubliki Kazakhstan. Ser. obshest. nauk [Transactions of the Ministry of Science – Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Series of social sciences] 1, 3–17.

Berve, H. 1926: Das Alexanderreich auf prosopographischer Grundlage. Bd. I. München.

Blavatskiy, V.D. 1950: O strategii i taktike skifov [On the strategy and tactics of the Scythians]. Kratkie soobshcheniya Instituta istorii materialnoy kultury [Brief reports of the Institute of the History of Material Culture] 34, 19–30.

Bosworth, A. B. 1976: Errors in Arrian. The Classical Quarterly 26.1, 117–139.

Bosworth, A.B. 1983: History and Rhetoric in Curtius Rufus. CP 78.1, 150–161.

Bosworth, A.B. 1988: Conquest and Empire: The Reign of Alexander the Great. Cambridge.

Bosworth, A.B. 1995: A Historical Commentary on Arrian’s History of Alexander. Vol. 2. Oxford.

Bosworth, A.B. 2003: Alexander and the Iranians. In: I. Worthington (ed.), Alexander the Great: A Reader. London–New York, 208–234.

Brunt, P.A. 1963: Alexander’s Macedonian Cavalry. The Journal of Hellenic Studies 83, 27–46.

Chernenko, E.V. 1981: Skifskie luchniki [Scythian archers]. Kiev.

Engels, D.W. 1978: Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army. Berkeley– Los Angeles.

Engels, J. 2006: Philipp II und Alexander der Grosse. Darmstadt.

Gabriel, R.A. 2010: Philip II of Macedonia: Greater than Alexander. Washington.

Gabriel, R.A. 2015: The Madness of Alexander the Great: And the Myth of Military Genius. Barnsley.

Gaebel, R. E. 2002: Cavalry Operations in the Ancient Greek World. Norman.

Gaibov, V.А., Koshelenko, G.А. 2005: Kochevniki Sredney Аzii v epokhu Аleksandra Makedonskogo: dannye pismennykh istochnikov [Nomads of Central Asia in the epoch of Alexander the Great: information from written sources]. Vestnik drevney istorii [Journal of Ancient History] 1, 103–127.

Garlan, Y. 1972: La Guerre dans l’Antiquité. Paris.

Garneau, A. 2013: “The Heads of Hydra which ever grew again”: Alexander the Great’s failed counterinsurgency in Afghanistan. In: The General Sir William Otter Papers. A Publication of the Royal Canadian Military Institute 4/13, 1–8.

Gorelik, M.V. 1987: Sakskiy dospekh [Saka armor]. In: B.B. Piotrovskiy (ed.), Tsentralnaya Аziya. Novye pamyatniki pismennosti i iskusstva [Central Asia. New memorials of literature and art]. Moscow, 110–133.

Gorelik, M.V. 2003: Oruzhie Drevnego Vostoka (IV tys. – IV v. do n.eh.) [Weapons of the Ancient East (the 1st millennium BC – 4th century BC)]. Moscow.

Griffith, G.T. 1935: The Mercenaries of the Hellenistic World. Cambridge.

Griffith, G.T. 1963: A Note on the Hipparchies of Alexander. The Journal of Hellenic Studies 83, 68–74.

Hamilton, J.R. 1987: Alexander’s Iranian Policy. In: W. Will, J. Heinrichs (eds.), Zu Alexander d. Gr. Festschrift G. Wirt zum 60. Geburtstag am 9.12.86. Bd. I. Amsterdam, 467–486.

Hammond, N. G. L. 1980: Alexander the Great: King, Commander and Statesman. Park Ridge.

Hammond, N.G.L. 1983: Three historians of Alexander the Great. Cambridge.

Hammond, N.G.L. 1996: Alexander’s Non-European Troops and Ptolemy I’s Use of Such Troops. BASP 33, 99–109.

Hammond, N.G.L. 1998a: Cavalry Recruited in Macedonia down to 322 BC. Historia 47, 4, 404–425.

Hammond, N.G.L. 1998b: The Genius of Alexander the Great. London.

Head, D. 1982: Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars 359 BC to 146 BC. Goring-by-Sea.

Head, D. 1992: The Achaemenid Persian Army. Stockport.

Heckel, W. 1992: The marshals of Alexander’s empire. London–New York.

Heckel, W. 2008: The Conquests of Alexander the Great. Cambridge.

Holt, F. 2005: Into the Land of Bones. Alexander the Great in Afghanistan. London–Berkeley– Los Angeles.

Howe, T. 2015a: Alexander and “Afghan Insurgency”: A Reassessment. In: T. Howe, L.L. Brice (eds.), Brill’s Companion to Insurgency and Terrorism in the Ancient Mediterranean. Leiden–Boston, 151–182.

Howe, T. 2015b: Plutarch, Arrian and the Hydaspes: A Historiographical Approach. In: C. Bearzote, F. Landucci (eds.), Alexander’s Legacy. Milano, 25–39.

Ivanov, S.S. 2008: Zheleznye vsadnicheskie mechi Tsentralnoy Аzii [The iron cavalry swords in Central Asia]. In: V.А. Kolchenko, F.G. Rott (ed.), Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii Kyrgyzstana [Materials and Research on the Archeology of Kyrgazstan] 3. Bishkek, 34–40.

Ivanov, S.S. 2014: Osobennosti formirovaniya voinskikh kontingentov drevnikh kochevnikov Sredney Аzii v sakskiy period [Features of formation of military contingents of the ancient nomads of Central Asia in Saka period]. In: T.K. Chorotegin (ed.), Kyrgyzskiy kaganat v kontekste srednevekovoy gosudarstvennosti i kultury tyurkskikh narodov. Sbornik materialov II mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii, posvyashhennoy 1170-letiyu obrazovaniya Velikogo Kyrgyzskogo kaganata v Tsentralnoy Аzii [The Kyrgyz Kaganate in the context of the medieval statehood and culture of the Turkic peoples. Collected materials of the II International Conference, dedicated to the 1170th anniversary of the formation of the Great Kyrgyz Kaganate in Central Asia]. Bishkek, 281–284.

Ivanov, S.S. 2015: K voprosu ob etnicheskoy identifi katsii drevnikh kochevnikov Prityanshanya v sakskiy period [On issue of the ethnic identifi cation of ancient nomads of Tien Shan region]. In: M.А. Zenko-Nemchinova, S.S. Ivanov (eds.), Sbornik dokladov mezhdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferentsii, posvyashhennoy 110-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya vydayushhegosya uchenogo-etnologa S.M. Аbramzona “Kompleksnyy podkhod v izuchenii prirody, obshhestva i cheloveka” [Collection of reports of the international scientifi c conference dedicated to the 110th anniversary of the birth of the outstanding scientist-ethnologist S.M. Abramzon “An integrated approach to the study of nature, society and man”]. Bishkek, 116–121.

Ivanov, S.S. 2016a: K probleme vzaimootnosheniy sakskikh plemen Prityanshanya s derzhavoy Аkhemenidov [On problem of the relationship between Saka tribes of Tien Shan region and Achaemenid Empire]. In: M.V. Kirchanov (ed.), Acta Orientalia Voronensia. Voronezhskoe vostokovedenie [Acta Orientalia Voronensia. Voronezh Oriental Studies] 1. Voronezh, 55–62.

Ivanov, S.S. 2016b: Etnokulturnye vzaimosvyazi rannikh kochevnikov Prityanshanya i Аltaya v skifo-sakskuyu epokhu [Ethno-cultural relationship of early nomads of the Tien Shan region and Altai in the Scythian-Saka era]. Mir Bolshogo Аltaya [The World of the Great Altay] 2 (4.2), 869–885.

Kadyrbaev, M.K. 1968: Nekotorye itogi i perspektivy izucheniya arkheologii rannego zheleznogo veka Kazakhstana [Some results and perspectives of studying the archeology of the early Iron Age of Kazakhstan]. In: M.K. Kadyrbaev (ed.), Novoe v arkheologii Kazakhstana [New discoveries in the archaeology of Kazakhstan]. Alma-Ata, 21–36.

Khazanov, A.M. 1971: Ocherki voennogo dela sarmatov [Essays on the Art of Warfare of the Sarmatians]. Moscow.

Kozhomberdiev, I.K. 1977: Osnovnye etapy istorii kultury Ketmen-Tyube [The main stages of the history of Ketmen-Tyube’s culture]. In: V.M. Ploskikh, D.F. Vinnik (eds.), Ketmen- Tyube. Аrkheologiya i istoriya [Ketmen-Tyube. Archaeology and history]. Frunze, 9–24. Lane Fox, R. 1973: Alexander the Great. L.

Levina, L.M. 1996: Ehtnokulturnaya istoriya Vostochnogo Priaralya. I tysyacheletie do n.e. – I tysyacheletie n.e. [Ethnocultural history of the Eastern Aral Region. The fi rst millennium BC to the fi rst millennium AD]. Moscow.

Litvinskiy, B.А. 1972: Drevnie kochevniki “kryshi mira” [Ancient nomads of “the Roof of the World”]. Moscow.

Litvinskiy, B.А. 2001: Khram Oksa v Baktrii. T. 2. Baktriyskoe vooruzhenie v drevnevostochnom i grecheskom kontekste [The Temple of the Oxus in Bactria. Vol. 2. Bactrian weapons in the ancient Eastern and Greek context]. Moscow.

Litvinskiy, B.А., Pyankov, I.V. 2013: Voennoe delo u narodov Sredney Аzii v VI – IV vv. do n.e. [Warfare of the Peoples of Central Asia in 6th – 4th century BC]. In: I.V. Pyankov (ed.), Srednyaya Аziya i Evraziyskaya step’ v drevnosti [Central Asia and the Eurasian steppe in ancient times]. Saint Petersburg, 112–130.

Lonsdale, D.J. 2007: Alexander the Great: Lessons in strategy. London–New York. Mambetullaev, M. 1977: Rel’efnoe izobrazhenie vsadnika na keramicheskoy fl yage iz Khumbuz- Tepe [Relief image of the rider on a ceramic jar from Khumbuz-Tepe]. Sovetskaya arkheologiya [Soviet archaeology] 3, 278–281.

Marinovich, L.P. 1993: Greki i Аleksandr Makedonskiy (K probleme krizisa polisa) [Greeks and Alexander the Great (The problem of the crisis of polis)]. Moscow.

Marinovich, L.P. 2010: Evropeyskie varvary v armii Аleksandra Makedonskogo [European barbarians in the army of Alexander the Great]. In: T.N. Jackson, I.G. Konovalova, G.R. Tsetskhladze (eds.), GAUDEAMUS IGITUR: Sbornik statey k 60-letiyu А.V. Podosinova [GAUDEAMUS IGITUR: Collection of articles for the 60th Anniversary of A.V. Podosinov]. Moscow, 235–242.

Medvedskaya, I.N. 1972: Nekotorye voprosy khronologii bronzovykh nakonechnikov strel Sredney Аzii i Kazakhstana [Some issues of chronology of bronze arrowheads of Central Asia and Kazakhstan]. Sovetskaya arkheologiya [Soviet archaeology] 3, 76–89.

Melyukova, A.I. 1964: Vooruzhenie skifov [Weapon of the Scythians]. Moscow.

Milns, R.D. 1978: Arrian’s Accuracy in Troop Details: A Note. Historia 27.2, 374–378.

Montagu, J.D. 2006: Greek and Roman Warfare. Battles, Tactics and Trickery. London.

Nawotka, K. 2010: Alexander the Great. Cambridge.

Nefedkin, А.K. 2007: Konnitsa epokhi ellinizma (voennyyi social’nyy aspekt) [The cavalry of the Hellenistic period (military and social aspect)]: diss… dokt. ist. nauk [PhD Thesis]. Stavropol.

Obelchenko, O.V. 1978: Mechi i kinzhaly iz kurganov Sogda [Swords and daggers from Sogdian kurgans]. Sovetskaya arkheologiya [Soviet archaeology] 4, 115–127.

Olbrycht, M.J. 2007: The Military Reforms of Alexander the Great during His Campaign in Iran, Afghanistan, and Central Asia. In: C. Galewicz, J. Pstrusińska, L. Sudyka (eds.), Miscellanea Eurasiatica Cracoviensia. Kraków, 309–321.

Olbrycht, M.J. 2010: Macedonia and Persia. In: J. Roisman, I. Worthington (eds.), A Companion to Ancient Macedonia. Oxford, 342–369.

Olbrycht, M.J. 2011: First Iranian military units in the army of Alexander the Great. In: M.J. Olbrycht (ed.), Anabasis. Studia Classica et Orientalia. Vol. 2. Rzeszów, 67–84.

Pyankov, I.V. 2013: “Saki” (soderzhanie ponyatiya) [“Saka” (content of the term)]. In: I.V. Pyankov (ed.), Srednyaya Аziya i Evraziyskaya step’ v drevnosti [Central Asia and the Eurasian steppe in ancient times]. Saint Petersburg, 493–499.

Rhodes, P.J. 2006: A History of the Classical Greek World, 478–323 BC. Oxford.

Rudenko, M.N. 2008: Makedonskaya armiya i massovaya oppozitsiya Аleksandru Velikomu v 334–323 gg. do n.e. [Macedonian army and mass opposition to Alexander the Great in 334–323. BC.]: avtoref. diss… kand. ist. nauk [PhD Thesis]. Saratov.

Sekunda, N. 2004: Armiya Alexandra Velikogo [The Army of Alexander the Great]. Moscow.

Sekunda, N. 2010: The Macedonian Army. In: J. Roisman, I. Worthington (eds.), A Companion to Ancient Macedonia. Oxford, 446–471.

Shachermeyr, F. 1986: Alexandr Makedonskiy [Alexander the Great]. Moscow.

Shcheglov, D.A. 2006: Kochevye narody sredney Аzii po svedeniyam istorikov Аleksandra Makedonskogo [Nomadic peoples of Central Asia, according to historians of Alexander the Great]. Zapiski Vostochnogo otdeleniya Rossiyskogo arkheologicheskogo obshhestva [Transactions of the Oriental Department of the Russian Archaeological Society] II (XXVII). Saint Petersburg, 276–316.

Shelov, D.B. 1971: Skifo-makedonskiy konflikt v istorii antichnogo mira [Scythian-Macedonian conflict in the history of the ancient world]. In: Problemy skifskoy arkheologii [Problems of Scythian Archaeology] (Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii SSSR [Materials and Investigations on Archaeology of the USSR] 177), 54–63.

Shofman, A.S. 1976: Vostochnaya politika Alexandra Makedonskogo [The Eastern policy of Alexander the Great]. Kazan.

Shulga, P.I. 2010: Sin’tszyan v VIII–III vv. do n.e. (Pogrebalnye kompleksy. Khronologiya i periodizatsiya) [Xinjiang in the 8th–3rd centuries BC. (Burial complexes. Chronology and periodization)]. Barnaul.

Sidnell, P. 2006: Warhorse: Cavalry in Ancient Warfare. London–New York.

Smith, M. 2009: The Failure of Alexander’s Conquest and Administration of Bactria-Sogdiana. Hirundo: The McGill Journal of Classical Studies 8, 64–72.

Strauss, B.S. 2003: Alexander: The Military Campaign. In: J. Roisman (ed.), Brill’s companion to Alexander the Great. Leiden–Boston, 133–157.

Tarn, W.W. 1930: Hellenistic Military and Naval Developments. Cambridge.

Tarn, W.W. 1948: Alexander the Great. Vol. 2. Cambridge.

Thomas, C.G. 2007: Alexander the Great in his World. Oxford.

Tolstov, S.P. 1962: Po drevnim deltam Oksa i Yaksarta [Along the ancient deltas of Oxus and Jaxartes]. Moscow.

Tsibukidis, D.I. 1981: Drevnyaya Gretsiya i Vostok. Ehllinisticheskaya problematika grecheskoj istoriografi i (1850–1974) [Ancient Greece and the East. Hellenistic problems in Greek historiography (1850–1974)]. Moscow.

Wilcken, U. 1962: Griechische Geschichte im Rahmen der Altertumsgeschichte. 9. Aufl . München.

Wirth, G., Hinuber, O.v. 1985: Arrian. Der Alexanderzug. Die indische Geschichte. München– Zürich.

Yagodin, V.N. 1978: Pamyatniki kochevykh plemen drevnosti i srednevekovya [Memorials of nomadic tribes of Antiquity and the Middle Ages]. In: S.K. Kamalov (ed.), Drevnyaya i srednevekovaya kul’tura yugo-vostochnogo Ustyurta [Ancient and medieval culture of southeast Ustyurt]. Tashkent, 79–198.