download PDF

Abstract

In modern science the division of nations into civil and ethnic is used as one of the classifications. It is considered that the fi rst ones were formed in the Western Europe, and the others – in the Central and Eastern Europe. It is also said about two types of nationalism – the civil one: the emphasis is made on belonging to one state, and in the ethnic nationalism a defi ning role is played by cultural-language propinquity. In Russia the discourse about the nation entered an active phase at the turn of 18th and 19th centuries, and there were both paradigms initially. In the article actors’ groups of this discourse are allocated, their views of the nation’s nature are described; points of intersection between two paradigms are defi ned. The main groups were N.M. Karamzin’s and A.S. Shishkov’s literary societies for which the direction of the Russian literary language development was a key question; as well as the reformers close to Alexander I and the participants of Decembrists movement considering the question of the civil law and freedom was more signifi cant. S.S.Uvarov’s personality must be viewed separately as he summed up the fi rst stage of the discourse about nation, having introduced the formula «orthodoxy, autocracy, nationality». The major sources of the Russian discourse about the nation became the ideas of the German literary movement «Storm and impulse», as well as concepts about civil law and liberty, generated by the French revolution. As participants of the Russian discourse were familiar both with German and French public ideas, the intersections caused by the attempts to combine the ideas of the civil and ethnic nation became possible.

Keywords

The civil nation, the ethnic nation, nationalism, literary societies, Decembrists, S.S. Uvarov

Alexey B. Panchenko

Surgut State Pedagogical University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Batyushkov, K.N. 1977: Vecher u Kantemira. In: I.M. Semenko (red.), Opyty v stihah i proze. Moscow, 34–51.

Calhun, K. 2006: Natsionalizm. Moscow.

Fihte, I.G. 2009: Rechi k nemetskoy natsii. Saint-Petersburg.

Kon, H. 2001: Ideya natsionalizma. Ab Imperio 3, 419–450.

Miller, A.I. 2007: Triada grafa Uvarova, http://polit.ru/article/2007/04/11/uvarov/

Miller, A.I. 2012: Istoriya ponyatiya «natsiya» v Rossii. In: A. Miller, D. Sdvizhkov, I. Shirle (red.), «Ponyatiya o Rossii»: K istoricheskoy semantike imperskogo perioda. T. II. Moscow, 7–49.

Murav’ev, N.M. 2010: Konstitutsionnyy proekt N.M. Murav’eva. In: A.N. Medushevskiy (avt.- sost.), Konstitutsionnye proekty v Rossii XVIII – nachala XX veka. Moscow, 302–322.

Pestel’, P.I. 1951: Prakticheskie nachala politicheskoy ekonomii. In: I.Ya. Shchipanov (red.), Izbrannye sotsial’no-politicheskie i fi losofskie proizvedeniya dekabristov. T. II. Moscow, 11–72.

Pestel’, P.I. 2010: «Russkaya pravda» (Konstitutsionnyy proekt P.I. Pestelya). In: A.N. Medushevskiy (avt.-sost.), Konstitutsionnye proekty v Rossii XVIII – nachala XX veka. Moscow, 323–399.

PSZ 1830: Polnoe sobranie zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii, s 1649 goda. Sobranie II. T. XXXIII. Saint-Petersburg.

Shishkov, A.S. 1869: Zapiski admirala Aleksandra Semenovicha Shishkova. Moscow.

Shishkov, A.S. 2011a: Kratkie zapiski, vedennye v byvshuyu s frantsuzami v 1812 i posleduyushchih godah voynu. In: O.A. Platonov (red.), Ogon’ lyubvi k Otechestvu. Moscow, 47–205.

Shishkov, A.S. 2011b: Rassuzhdenie o lyubvi k Otechestvu, chitannoe v 1812 godu v besede lyubiteley russkogo slova. In: O.A. Platonov (red.) Ogon’ liubvi k Otechestvu. Moscow, 23–46.

Smit, A. 2000: Obrazovanie natsii. In: A.A. Prazauskas (avt.-sost.), Etnos i politika: Hrestomatiya. Moscow, 86–94.

Speranskiy, M.M. 1961: O sile obshchego mneniya. In: S.N. Valk (red.), Proekty i zapiski. Moscow– Leningrad, 77–83.

Torson, K.P. 1995: Vzglyad na izobretenie i rasprostranenie mashin. In: P.V. Volobuev (red.), Estestvennonauchnoe nasledie dekabristov. G.S. Baten’kov, H.A. Bestuzhev, M.A. Bestuzhev, K.P. Torson. Moscow, 306–316.

Trubetskoy, N.S. 2007: My i drugie. V kn.: E. Basova (red.), Nasledie Chingishana. Moscow, 480–497.

Vyazemskiy, P.A. 1996: Razgovor mezhdu Izdatelem i Klassikom s Vyborgskoy storony ili s Vasil’evskogo ostrova: Vmesto predisloviya . In: V.E. Vatsuro, S.A. Fomichev (red.), Pushkin v prizhiznennoy kritike, 1820–1827. Saint-Petersburg, 152–156.

Zorin, A.L. 2004: Kormya dvuglavogo orla… Russkaya literatura i gosudarstvennaya ideologiya v posledney treti XVIII – pervoy treti XIX v. Moscow.