download PDF

Abstract

During 1842–1843 Nagaybak Cossacks with their families were resettled into three districts of the Orenburg province, and formed three different groups, each of them had its own way. The Northern group of Nagaybak Cossacks of 500 people settled in Troitsk District in Verhneuvelskaya (Varlamovo), Klyuchevskiy-2 (Lyagushino), Popovо, Bolotovo and Krasnokamenka villages. During this relocation Nagaybaks represented an ethnic community, which, however, was infl uenced by the Russian population. The Northern group was not subjected to the signifi cant infl uence of the missionaries of both religions. Nowadays it is formally considered orthodox: the population demonstrates an indifferent attitude towards religion and rituals both Muslim and Orthodox.

Nagaybaks of this group named themselves «Bakals» after the name of Bakalinskaya village, where they had come from. In the course of time different ways Bakals named themselves took place including «Nagaybaks», «Kryashens», «Russian», «Chermyshs» and others. Frequent changes and renovation of self-awareness and self-designation resulted in the fact that today many people can’t safely say about their ethnicity. The Northern Nagaybaks demonstrate the increasing interest to their ethnicity and culture, which is caused by, among other things, the compatriots’ success of Nagaybak District. Due to the personal and group strategy, the ethnicity of the Northern group today is relevant and dynamic. Having gone through several changes of their identity, today the Northern group is in a state of ethnic drift.

Keywords

Nagaibaks, Bakals, the northern group, self-name, Russians, Cossacks, Orthodox, missionaries, drift of ethnicity

Svetlana Yu. Belorussova

Institute of History and Archaeology, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Al’metev, F. 1911: Etnografi cheskaya zametka «Nagaybak». Orlovskie eparhial’nye vedomosti 49, 1097–1099.

Aminov, R.R. 2015: Formirovanie i rasshirenie poselencheskoy struktury Orenburgskih tatarkazakov v kantonnyy period (1798–1840). Iz istorii i kul’tury narodov Srednego Povolzh’ya 25, 6–33.

Atnagulov, I.R. 2015: Identichnosti nagaybakov: genezis, struktura, dinamika. Magnitogorsk.

Belorussova, S.Yu. 2015: Traektoriya etnichnosti nagaybakov. Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta 24 (379), 17–24.

Belorussova, S.Yu. 2016: Etnofotografi cheskoe puteshestvie Mihaila Krukovskogo po Yuzhnomu Uralu. Ural’skiy istoricheskiy vestnik 2 (15), 98–104.

Chernavskiy N.M. 1900: Orenburgskaya eparhiya v proshlom eye i nastoyashchem. Orenburg.

El’kovich, Ya.R. (red.) 1933: Bishkil’skiy rayon. Ural’skaya sovetskaya enciklopediya. Sverdlovsk– Moscow.

Golovnev, A.V. 2011: Etnichnost’ i identichnost’ na Urale. Ural’skiy istoricheskiy vestnik 2 (31), 40–49.

Kobzov, V.S. 1992: Novaya liniya. Vestnik Chelyabinskogo universiteta 1 (3), 12–26.

Kortunov, A.I. 2013: Osobennosti zaseleniya novyh rayonov Orenburgskogo kazach’ego voyska i rezul’taty meropriyatiy po uvelicheniyu kontingenta orenburgskogo kazachestva v 40-h gg. XIX v. Vestnik Bashkirskogo universiteta 18, 1, 264–267.

Krukovskiy, M.A. 1909: Yuzhnyy Ural. Putevye ocherki. Moscow.

Lepyehin, I.I. 1802: Prodolzhenie Dnevnyh zapisok puteshestviya doktora i Akademii nauk ad’yunkta Ivana Lepyehina po raznym provinciyam Rossiyskogo gosudarstva v 1770 godu. Ch. 2. Saint-Petersburg.

Otchet o deyatel’nosti Orenburgskogo eparhial’nogo komiteta Pravoslavnogo missionerskogo obshchestva za 1908 god, 1909: Orlovskie eparhial’nye vedomosti 48, 402–410.

Polnoe sobranie zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii, 1844: Sobr. 2. T. XVIII. Otd. 1. 16811. Saint- Petersburg.

Starikov, F.M. 1891: Istoriko-statisticheskiy ocherk Orenburgskogo kazach’ego voyska s prilozheniem stat’i o domashnem byte orenburgskih kazakov, risunkov so znamen i karty. Orenburg.

Timofeev, V.T. 1890: Missionerskoe puteshestvie po inorodcheskim prihodam Orenburgskoy eparhii. Orlovskie eparhial’nye vedomosti 6, 201–204.