download PDF

Abstract

The article analyzes the A.S. Uvarov’ version of the origin and history of the Crimean Karaites. It is stated in the fourth chapter of the third unpublished issue of “Studies on the Antiquities of Southern Russia and the Black Sea Coast” (Archive of the State Historical Museum). The source for this story was the personal communication of A.S. Uvarov with S.A. Beim and A.S. Firkovich, whose views were largely accepted by the young researcher. However, A.S. Uvarov was an opponent of the “Khazar” theory of origin of the Karaites, formulated by V.V. Grigoriev a few years before Uvarov’s visiting Chufut-Kale in 1848. A.S. Uvarov considered that the dominant in the ethnogeny of the Crimean Karaites is the Jewish element: in his opinion, overall, the Karaites are the Jews of the Karaite sect, but they were close to the Khazars. Thanks to the efforts of the legendary Yitzhak Sangari, the Karaites turned the Khazar Khagan into Judaism, and, to a certain extent, merged with the Khazars. After the transition to the 9th century the Khazar to Christianity (this happened because of visiting Khazaria by St. Cyril (Constantine) and Methodius), they were divided with the Karaites. Historical views of A.S. Uvarov on the Khazars based on the works of I. Evers and Western European translations of medieval Arab authors. It suffered a number of anachronisms that was characteristic even for the mid-19th century. For example, Uvarov believed the capital of Khazaria was in Arabia. In doing so, it is evident profound acquaintance with works of Byzantine historians: Patriarch Nikephoros and Constantine Porphyrogennetos.

Keywords

A.S. Uvarov, A.S. Firkovich, Crimea, Karaites, Judaism, Khazars

Yuri M. Mogarichev

Crimean Republican Institute for Post-Gradual Pedagogical Education; Institute of Archaeology of the Crimea RAS, Simferopol, Russia This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dmitry A. Prokhorov

Crimean Federal V.V. Vernadsky University, Simferopol, Russia This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

[Shtern, B.] 1844: Drevnie evreyskie kodeksy i drugie pamyatniki [Ancient Jewish Codes and Other Monuments] Zapiski Odesskogo obshhestva istorii i drevnostey [Transactions of the Odessa Society of History and Antiquities] 1, 640–649.

Ankori, Tsvi 2012: Krymskie karaimy i khazary (iz knigi «Proishozhdenie karaimov v Vizantii») [Crimean Karaites and Khazars (from the book “The Origin of Karaites in Byzantium”)] In: V.L. Vikhnovich (ed.), Karaim Avraam Firkovich: Evrejskie rukopisi. Istoriya. Puteshestviya [Karaim Abraham Firkovich: Jewish manuscripts. History. Travels]. Saint Petersburg, 255–304.

Bandurius, A. 1711: Imperium Orientale sive antiquitates Constantinopolitanae in quattuor partes distributae, 2. Parisis.

Bernshteyn, S.V. 1984: Konstantin Filosof i Mefodiy [Konstantin the Philosopher and Methodius]. Moscow.

Chichurov, I.S. 1980: Vizantiyskie istoricheskie sochineniya [Byzantine historical works]. Moscow.

Djubua de Monpere, F. 2009: Puteshestvie v Krym [Journey to the Crimea]. Simferopol.

Dzhakson, T.N., Konovalova, I.G., Podosinov, A.V. (eds.) 2014: Drevnyaya Rus’ v svete zarubezhnykh istochnikov. Khrestomatiya [Ancient Rus in the light of foreign sources. Chrestomathy]. III. Moscow.

Fedorchuk, A. 2008: Evreskie nekropoli Kryma: istoriya issledovaniya i sovremennoe sostoyanie [Jewish necropolises of the Crimea: the history of research and the current state]. In: Evroaziatskiy evreyskiy ezhegodnik 2007/2008 [Euro-Asian Jewish Yearbook 2007/2008]. Moscow, 212–227.

Firkovich, A.S. 2012: Avne Zikkaron (perevod V.A. Elyashevicha) [Avne Zikkaron (translated by V.A. Eliashevich)]. Izvestiya Dukhovnogo Upravleniya karaimskikh religioznykh organizatsiy Ukrainy [Transactions of the Spiritual Administration of Karaite religious organizations of Ukraine] 4 (13), 10–17.

Florya, B.N. 1981: Skazaniya o nachale slavyanskoy pis’mennosti [Legends about the beginning of the Slavonic script]. Moscow.

Garkavi, A.Ja. 1876: Po povodu izvestiya Avraama Kerchenskogo o posol’stve sv. Vladimira k khazaram [In occasion of the news from Abrakham of Kerch about the embassy of St. Vladimir to the Khazars]. Saint Petersburg.

Garkavi, A.Ja. 1877: K voprosu ob iudeyskikh drevnostyakh, naydennykh Firkovichem v Krymu [On the issue of the Jewish antiquities found by Firkovich in the Crimea]. Zhurnal Ministerstva narodnogo prosveshheniya [Journal of the Ministry of National Education] CXCII. 2, 98–121.

Garkavi, A.Ja., Shtrak, G.M. 1875: O Kollektsii vostochnykh rukopisey A.S. Firkovicha, nakhodyashhihsya v Chufut-Kale [A.S. Firkovich’s Collection of Oriental Manuscripts which is in Chufut-Calais]. Zhurnal Ministerstva narodnogo prosveshheniya [Journal of the Ministry of National Education] CLXXVIII. 4, 5–49.

Gercen, A.G. 2017: Knyazhestvo Feodoro: ot «al’fy» do «omegi» [The Principality of Theodoro: from “Alpha” to “Omega”]. Materialy po istorii, arkheologii i etnografi i Tavrii [Materials on the History, Archeology and Ethnography of Tauria] XXII, 348–368.

Gorsky, A.V. 1843: O svv. Kirille i Mefodii [About the Holy Cyril and Methodius]. Moskvityanin [Muscovite] 6. III, 405–434.

Grigorev, V.V. 1846: Evreyskie religioznye sekty v Rossii. [Jewish religious sects in Russia]. Zhurnal Ministerstva Vnutrennikh del [Journal of the Ministry of Internal Affairs] 15. Saint Petersburg, 3–49.

Grigorev, V.V. 1876a: Evreyskie religioznye sekty v Rossii. [Jewish religious sects in Russia]. In: V.V. Grigorev (ed.), Rossiya i Aziya [Russia and Asia]. Saint Petersburg, 418–550.

Grigorev, V.V. 1876b: Obzor politicheskoy istorii khazarov [Review of the political history of the Khazars]. In: V.V. Grigorev (ed.), Rossiya i Aziya [Russia and Asia]. Saint Petersburg, 46–65.

Grigorev, V.V. 1876v: O dvoystvennosti verkhovnoy vlasti u khazarov [On the duality of the supreme power of the Khazars]. In: V.V. Grigorev (ed.), Rossiya i Aziya [Russia and Asia]. Saint Petersburg, 66–78.

Kalinina, T.M. 2014: Khazariya po dannym vostochnykh istochnikov [Khazaria according to Eastern sources]. In: T.M. Kalinina, V.S. Flerov, V.Ja. Petruhin (eds.), Khazariya v krosskul’turnom prostranstve: istoricheskaya geografi ja, krepostnaya arkhitektura, vybor very [Khazaria in the cross-cultural space: historical geography, serf architecture, choice of faith]. Moscow, 8–100.

Karamzin, N.M. 1997: Istoriya gosudarstva Rossiyskogo [History of Russian State]: in 12 vol. Vol. 1. Rostov-on-Don.

Karaulov, G. 1883: Primechaniya k poezdke vo vnutrennost’ Kryma akademika Pallasa. Chufut- Kale i evrei-karaimy [Notes on the Academician Pallas’ trip to the interior of the Crimea. Chufut-Kale and the Jews-Karaites]. Zapiski Odesskogo obshhestva istorii i drevnostey [Notes of the Odessa Society of History and Antiquities] 13, 93–103.

Kashovskaya, N.V. 2003: Zametki po iudeyskoy epigrafi ke Mangupa [Notes on the Jewish epigraphy of Mangup]. Materialy po arkheologii, istorii i etnografi i Tavrii [Materials on Archeology, History and Ethnography of Tauria] X, 556–561.

Keppen, P.I. 1837: O drevnostyakh Juzhnogo berega Kryma i gor Tavricheskikh. Krymskiy sbornik [On the antiquities of the Southern coast of the Crimea and the Tauride mountains. The Crimean collection]. Saint Petersburg.

Kizilov, M.B. 2003: K istorii maloizvestnykh karaimskikh obshhin Krymskogo poluostrova [To the history of little-known Karaite communities of the Crimean peninsula]. Tirosh: Trudy po iudaike [Tirosh: Works on Judaica] 6, 123–140.

Kokovcov, P.K. 1932: Evreysko-hazarskaja perepiska v X v. [Jewish-Khazar correspondence in the 10th century]. Leningrad.

Lomakin D.A., Prokhorov D.A. 2016: K istorii karaimskoy obshhiny Solkhata-Starogo Kryma: arkheografi cheskiy i arheologicheskiy aspekty [On the history of the Karaite community of Solhata-Old Krym: archeographic and archaeological aspects]. In: V.V. Mayko (ed.), Istorija i arkheologiya Kryma [History and archaeology of the Crimea]. III. Simferopol, 372–386.

Makariy (Bulgakov), 1846: Istoriya khristianstva v Rossii do ravnoapostol’nogo knyazya Vladimira kak vvedenie v istoriyu Russkoy tserkvi [The history of Christianity in Russia to the Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir as an introduction to the history of the Russian Church]. Saint Petersburg.

Markevich, A.I. 1892: Staro-Krymskie drevnosti [Antiquities of the Old-Krym]. Izvestiya Tavricheskoy uchenoy arkhivnoy komissii [Transactions of the Taurida Academic Archive Commission] 17, 124–129.

Mikhaylova, D. 2007: Khazarskaya teoriya proiskhozhdeniya karaimov Rossiyskoy imperii v trudakh nekaraimskikh issledovateley serediny XIX – nachala XX vv. [Khazar theory of the origin of the Karaites of the Russian Empire in the works of non-Karaim researchers of the middle 19th – early 20th centuries]. In: M. Chlenov (ed.), Tirosh. Trudy po iudaike [Tirosh. Works on Judaic] 8. Moscow, 176–184.

Mikhnevich, Je. 1848: O evreyskih manuskriptakh, khranyashhihsya v muzee Odesskogo obshhestva istorii i drevnostey [The Jewish manuscripts stored in the museum of the Odessa Society of History and Antiquities]. Zapiski Odesskogo obshhestva istorii i drevnostey [Notes of the Odessa Society of History and Antiquities] II. 1, 47–77.

Mogarichev, Ju.M., Sazanov, A.V., Sorochan, S.B. 2017: Krym v «khazarskoe» vremya (VIII – seredina X vv.): voprosy istorii i arkheologii [The Crimea in the “Khazar” time (the 7th to mid-10th century): issues of history and archeology]. Moscow.

N.N. [Kazas I.I.] 1911: Obshhie zametki o karaimakh [General notes on the Karaites] Karaimskaya zhizn’ [Karaite life] 3–4, 37–72.

Novoseltsev, A.P. 1980: Khazarskoe gosudarstvo i ego rol’ v istorii Vostochnoy Evropy i Kavkaza [The Khazar state and its role in the history of Eastern Europe and the Caucasus]. Moscow.

Pogodin, M.P. 1826: O kozarakh (iz Eversovykh issledovaniy) [On the Kozars (from the Eversov’s studies)]. Severnyy Arkhiv [Northern Archive] VI, 107–128.

Prokhorov D.A. 2017: Otrazhenie etnicheskikh stereotipov v ofi cial’nykh pechatnykh izdaniyakh i periodicheskoy presse Tavricheskoy gubernii kontsa XVIII – nachala XIX vv.: slavyanoevreysko- karaimskiy kontekst [Refl ection of ethnic stereotypes in offi cial printed editions and periodical press of the Taurida Gubernia of the late 18th and early 19th centuries: the Slavic-Jewish-Karaite context] In: O.V. Belova (ed.), Kontakty i konfl ikty v slavyanskoy i evreyskoy kul’turnoy traditsii [Contacts and confl icts in the Slavic and Jewish cultural traditions]. Moscow, 158–177.

Prokhorov, D.A. 2015: Pravovye osnovy organizatsii konfessional’nogo samoupravleniya karaimov v kontse XVIII – pervoy polovine XIX vv. [Legal foundations of the organization of the confessional self-government of the Karaites in the late 18th to the fi rst half of the 19th century] Uchenye zapiski Krymskogo Federal’nogo Universiteta im. V.I. Vernadskogo. Juridicheskie nauki [Proceedings of the V.I. Vernadsky Crimean Federal University. Juridical sciences] 1, 76–88.

Rashkovskiy, B.E. 2011: «Vybor very» v srednevekovom iudaizme [“Choice of faith” in medieval Judaism]: diss… kand. ist. nauk [PhD Thesis]. Moscow.

Shapira, D. 2003: Yichak Sangari, Sangarit, Becalel’ Shtern i Avraam Firkovich: istoriya dvukh poddel’nykh nadpisey [Yitzchak Sangari, Sangarit, Bezalel Stern and Avraham Firkovich: the story of two forged inscriptions]. Materialy po istorii, etnografi i i arkheologii Tavrii [Materials on the History, Ethnography and Archeology of Tauria] X, 533–555.

Shapira, D. 2004: Nyneshnee sostoyanie ryada pripisok k kolofonam na bibleyskikh rukopisyakh iz pervogo sobraniya A.S. Firkovicha [The current state of a number of posts on colophons in biblical manuscripts from A.S. Firkowitch’s collection]. In: R. Kaplanov, V. Mochalova (eds.), Materialy odinnadtsatoy ezhegodnoy mezhdunarodnoy mezhdisciplinarnoy konferentsii po iudaike [Materials of the Eleventh Annual International Interdisciplinary Conference on Jewish Studies]. 1. Moscow, 102–130.

Shapira, D. 2010: Evrei v Severnom Prichernomor’e ot drevnosti do rannego Srednevekov’ya [Jews in the Northern Black Sea Region from Antiquity to the Early Middle Ages]. In: A. Kulik (ed.), Istoriya evreyskogo naroda v Rossii: ot drevnosti do rannego Novogo vremeni [History of the Jewish in Russia: from Antiquity to the Early Modern Age. Vol. 1. From Antiquity to the Early Modern Age]. Jerusalem–Moscow, 13–43.

Smirnov, V.D. 1918: Tatarsko-khanskie yarlyki iz kollektsii Tavricheskoy Uchenoy Arhivnoy komissii [Tatar-Khan labels from the collection of the Taurida Academic Archive Commission]. Izvestiya Tavricheskoy uchenoy arkhivnoy komissii [Transactions of the Taurida Academic Archive Commission] 54, 1–19.

Steven, A.H. 1891: Dela arkhiva Tavricheskogo gubernskogo upravleniya, otnosyashhiesya do razyskaniya, opisaniya i sokhraneniya pamyatnikov stariny v predelakh Tavricheskoy gubernii [Cases of the Archive of the Tauride Provincial Government, related to the search, description and preservation of historical monuments within the Taurida province]. Izvestiya Tavricheskoy uchenoy arkhivnoy komissii [Transactions of the Taurida Academic Archive Commission] 4. Simferopol, 84–94.

Trendafilov, Kh. Zhitie: Zhitie Konstantina (Kirilla) Filosofa (Prostrannoe). elektronnye publikatsii Instituta russkoy literatury (Pushkinskogo doma) [Life: Life of Constantine (Cyril) Philosopher (Extensive). Electronic publications of the Institute of Russian Literature (Pushkin House)], http://www.pushkinskijdom.ru/Default.aspx?tabid=3459.

Tunkina, I.V. 1996: A.S. Uvarov i drevnosti Yuzhnoy Rossii (konets 1840-h – nachalo 1850- h gg.) [A.S. Uvarov and the antiquity of Southern Russia (late 1840’s to early 1850’s)]. In: Pogibshie svyatyni. Okhranyaetsya gosudarstvom. Chetvertaya Rossiyskaya nauchnoprakticheskaya konferentsiya [The dead shrines. It is protected by the State. The Fourth Russian Scientifi c and Practical Conference]. Saint Petersburg, 163–181.

Tunmann, 1991: Krymskoe khanstvo [The Crimean Khanate]. Simferopol.

Tyazhelov, P. 1844: Izvestiya o khazarah vostochnogo istorika Tabari, s otryvkami iz Gafi s- Obru, Ibn-Aazem-Jel’-Kufi i dr. Stat’ya Akademika Dorna [The story on the Khazars by the eastern historian Tabari, with excerpts from Gafi s-Obru, Ibn-Aazem-El-Kufi , and others. The article by Academician Dorn]. Zhurnal Ministerstva narodnogo prosveshheniya [Journal of the Ministry of Education] XLIII, 1–25, 67–98.

Uvarov, A.S.: Zhiteli Tavricheskikh gor. Issledovaniya o drevnostyakh Yuzhnoy Rossii i beregov Chernogo morya [Residents of the Taurida Mountains. Studies of the antiquities of Southern Russia and the shores of the Black Sea]. Arkhiv Otdela pis’mennykh istochnikov Gosudarstvennogo istoricheskogo muzeya [Archive of the Department of Written Sources of the State Historical Museum]. Fund. 17. Inv. 1. Book. 196. Sheets 18 with reverse – 84.

Vihnovich, V.L. 2012: Karaim Avraam Firkovich: Evrejskie rukopisi. Istoriya. Puteshestviya [Karaim Abraham Firkovich: Jewish manuscripts. History. Travels]. Saint Petersburg.

Yazykov, D.I. 1840: Opyt istorii khazarov [History of the Khazars]. Trudy imperatorskoy Rossiyskoy Akademii nauk [Proceedings of the Imperial Russian Academy of Sciences]. 1, 135–241.