download PDF

Abstract

The most interesting and important discoveries were made under the recent decade excavation at the acropolis of Phanagoria (the trench “The Upper City”). They are connected with the research of the layers and constructions of the 6th – 5th and the end of the 2nd – the fi rst half of 1st centuries BC. This is so because the layers of other periods have remained here worse or are not represented at all. The preliminary review of materials of one interesting architectural complex of the fi rst half of 4th century BC, which was constructed over the public building burned down in the middle of 5th century BC, is given in this paper. The analysis of the remained bases of the walls allows us to determine the area of the building and its planning. On this basis, it was possible to assume that the building had at least two fl oors. Its roof was tiled. The entrance to the building decorated with a portico with two columns was located in the east side. From three sides (the west, the north, and the east) the house was surrounded by pavements of squares and a street, and its south side was contiguous with the large fundamental structure, the function of is obscure. It is also impossible now to draw conclusions on the functional purpose of this building, which was destroyed by confl agration in 350-s BC.

Keywords

Phanagoria, acropolis, Archaic and Classic Periods, Hellenism, architecture, layout, foundation, pavement, fire

Aleksey A. Zavoykin

Institute of Archaeology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Abramzon, M.G., Kuznetsov, V.D. 2010: Fanagiriyskoe vosstanie 63 g. do n.e. [The Phanagorian uprising of 63 BC]. Vestnik Drevney Istorii [Journal of Ancient History] 1, 59–85.

Abramzon, M.G., Kuznetsov, V.D. 2011: Novye dannye o Fanagoriyskom vosstanii 63 g. do n.e. [New Data Concerning the 63 BC Revolt in Phanagoria]. Vestnik Drevney Istorii [Journal of Ancient History] 2, 64–94.

Zavoykin, A.A., Kuznetsov, V.D. 2011. Drevneyshee obshchestvennoe zdanie v Fanagorii [The most ancient public building in Phanagoria]. Problemy istorii, fi lologii, kul’tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural studies] 4, 188–198.

Zavoykin, A.A., Kuznetsov, V.D. 2013: “Verkhniy gorod” Fanagorii v 5 v. do n.e. (problemy periodizatsii i urbanistiki )[“The Upper city” of Phanagoria in the 5th century BC (problems of periodization and urbanistics)]. In: Bospor Kimmeriyskiy i varvarskiy mir v period antichnosti i srednevekov’ya [Cimmerian Bosporus and the barbarous world in the period of Antiquity and the Middle Ages] (XIV Bosporskie chteniya [Bosporan Readings]). Kerch, 182–189.

Zavoykin, A.A., Monakhov, S.Yu. 2012: Amfornoe gorlo iz Fanagorii i dve serii keramicheskoy tary iz Fanagorii [The amphora neck from Phanagoria and two series of ceramic containers of the Late Classical Period]. Problemy istorii, fi lologii, kul’tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural studies] 4, 117–127.

Kuznetsov, V.D., Zavoykin, A.A. 2010: O masterskikh fanagoriyskikh yuvelirov (?) vtoroy poloviny VI v. do n.e. [Workshops of Phanagorian jewelers (?) of the second half of the 6th century BC]. In: Bospor Kimmeriyskiy i varvarskiy mir v period antichnosti i srednevekov’ya [Cimmerian Bosporus and the barbarous world in the period of Aantiquity and the Middle Ages] (XI Bosporskie chteniya [Bosporan Readings]). Kerch, 256–265.

Kuznetsov, V.D. 2011: Zametki o kul’turnom sloe Fanagorii (po materialam raskopa “Verhniy gorod”) [Notes on cultural layers of Phanagoria (based on data of the “The Upper City” Site)]. In: N.A. Gavrilyuk, A.A. Maslennikov, A.A. Zavoykin (eds.), Grecheskie i varvarskie pamyatniki Severnogo Prichernomor’ya [Greek and Barbarian sites of the Northern Black Sea Coast] (Metodika polevykh arheologocheskikh issledovaniy [Technique of fi eld archaeological researches]. 4). Moscow, 117–130.

Monakhov, S.Yu., Zavoykin, A.A., Kuznetsova, E.V. 2006: Keramicheskie kompleksy iz Fanagorii (raskopki 2005 g.) [Ceramic assamblages from Phanagoria (the 2005 excavations)]. Antichnyi mir i arkheologiya [Ancient World and Archaeology] 12. Saratov, 294–312.

Caskey, I.D. 1910: The Roofed Gallery on the Walls of Athens. American Journal of Archaeology XIV-3, 298–309.

Hellmann, M.-C. 2002: L’Architecture grecque. Vol. 1. Les principes de la construction. Paris.

Hodge, A.T. 1960: The Woodwork of Greek Roofs. Cambridge.

Hoefner, W. von, Schwander, E.-L. 1994: Haus und Stadt im klassischen Griechenland. München.

Miller, S.G. 1978: The Prytaneion. Its Function and Architectural Form. Berkeley–Los Angeles– London.