download PDF

Abstract

Manuscripts, written in common literary language of all Medieval Slavs are dated 10th –11th centuries. They are mostly either prayer books, or Lives of Saints, who suffered for Christian faith. Hundreds of martyrs and martyress were mentioned in menologies and synaxariums. Those people underwent different terrible tortures, and were sentenced to death by rulers for the refusal to abjure Christian religion. Lives of Saints contain information about not only the names, birthplaces of saints and times of the death, but also some facts about their persecutors and last moments before the penalty. It is no wonder that the texts, written in Cyril and Methodius`s language contain language units, describing cruel ingenuity of those who in terms of the offi cial status or by choice sentenced Christian preachers to death. The manuscripts depict fi rmness, courage and self-sacrifi ce of the Saints, heartless “skill” of the executioners, and reaction of the audience, eagering for a bloody performance. Although Slavs got acquainted with different kinds of sophisticated tortures and executions, described in the most ancient Cyrillic and Glagolitic texts through the agency of Byzantium after the adoption of Christianity, the language means, used for description of the prosecution, tortures and executions of Christians during the time of the early Middle Ages have common Slavic roots. The set unit съмрьтьна казнь, which we found in Codex Suprasliensis of the 11th century consists of Old Church Slavonic elements.

Keywords

Common literary language of all Slavs, manuscript, Christanity, saints, martyrs, set units

Svetlana G. Shulezhkova

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Polina M. Kostina

School of foreign languages “Experience”, Magnitogorsk, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Brokgauz F.A., Efron I.A. 1893: Goneniya na khristian v Rimskoy imperii [Persecutions of Christians in the Roman Empire]. In: Entsiklopedicheskiy slovar`: v 41 t. T. 9. [Encyclopedic Dictionary: in 41 vols.]. Vol. 9. Saint Petersburg.

Chernykh, P.J. 1993: Istoriko-etimologicheskiy slovar` sovremennogo russkogo yazyka: v 2 t. [Historical–etymological dictionary of modern Russian language: in 2 vols]. Moscow.

Efimova, V.S. 2011: Naimenovanie lits v staroslavyanskom yazyke. [Naming of persons in the Old Church Slavonic language]. Moscow.

Evreinov, N. 1913: Istoriya telesnykh nakazaniy v Rossii [History of corporal punishments in Russia]. Saint Petersburg.

Shaposhnikov, A.K. 2010: Etimologicheskiy slovar` sovremennogo russkogo yazyka: v 2 t. [Etymological dictionary of modern Russian language: in 2 vols]. Moscow.

Sreznevskiy, I.I. 1893–1912: Materialy dlya slovarya drevnerusskogo yazyka po pis`mennym pamyatnikam: v 3 t. [Materials for the dictionary of the Old Russian language based on manuscripts]: in 3 vols. Saint Petersburg.

Sulimov, I. 2013: Zarozhdenie i razvitie smertnoy kazni v Drevney Rusi [Birth and development of death penalty in Ancient Rus`], https://topwar.ru/35285-zarozhdenie-i-razvitie-smertnoykazni- v-drevney-rusi.html.

Timofeev, A.G. 1904: Istoriya telesnykh nakazaniy v russkom prave [History of corporal punishments in Russian justice]. Saint Petersburg.

Vendina, T.I. 2002: Srednevekovyy chelovek v zerkale staroslavyanskogo yazyka [The Medieval man in a mirror of the Old Church Slavonic Language]. Moscow.