download PDF

Abstract

The article examines the evidence of ancient authors on the unoffi cial nicknames of Achaemenid Persian kings. Special attention is paid to the interpretation of the nickname of Μακρόχειρ. Two variants are considered for its translation into Russian. In the first case, one should talk about the ancient authors’ perception of this nickname as relating to a person who had one arm longer than another. In the second case, the nickname is interpreted metaphorically: it is believed to be used for a ruler who is seeking for an extension of the possessions. The arguments in favor of each of these two interpretations are given, it is concluded that the fi rst interpretation of this nickname could have led to the emergence of the second. The possibility of applying the nickname of Μακρόχειρ to each of the three Persian kings: Darius I, Xerxes and Artaxerxes I is also investigated. It is suggested that the nickname of Μακρόχειρ refers specifically to Artaxerxes I. The prospect of studying this issue from a medical point of view is emphasized. It is assumed that the Greeks obviously gave the nickname of Μακρόχειρ to Artaxerxes, the son of Xerxes, because of his physical lack, but their intention to interpret this nickname metaphorically led them to the situation when they could not be certain who of the Achaemenides was more worthy of it: Darius, Xerxes or Artaxerxes I.

Keywords

Nicknames, Greeks, Persia, Achaemenids

Eduard V. Rung

Kazan Federal University, Kazan, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Ashrafian, H. 2011: Limb gigantism, neurofi bromatosis and royal heredity in the Ancient World 2500 years ago: Achaemenids and Parthians. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery 64, 4, 557.

Badian, E. 2000: Darius III. Harvard Studies in Classical Philology 100, 241–267.

Binder, C. 2008: Plutarchs Vita des Artaxerxes. Ein historischer Kommentar. Berlin–New York.

Cook, A.B. 1907: Nomen Omen. Classical Review 21, 169.

Descat, R. 1994: Darius, le roi “kapelos”. In: H. Sancisi-Weerdenburg, A. Kuhrt, M.C. Root (eds.), Achaemenid history 6: Continuity and change. Proceedings of the last Achaemenid history workshop, Ann Arbor, April 6–8, 1990. Leiden, 161–166.

Harrison, T. 2011: The long arm of the King (Hdt. 8. 140–142). In: R. Rollinger, B. Truschnegg, R. Bichler (eds.), Herodot und das Persische Weltreich – Herodotus and the Persian Empire. Akten des 3. Internationalen Kolloquiums zum Thema “Vorderasien im Spannungsfeld klassischer und altorientalischer Überlieferungen”, Innsbruck, 24–28. November 2008. Wiesbaden, 65–74.

Jones, H.L. 1930: Strabo Geography. Traslated by H.L. Jones. Vol. VII. Book 15–16 (The Loeb Classical Library 241). London–New York.

Kurke, L. 1999: Coins, Bodies, Games, and Gold: The Politics of Meaning in Archaic Greece. Princeton.

Llewellyn-Jones, L. 2015: “That My Body is Strong”: The Physique and Appearance of Achaemenid Monarchy. In: D. Boschung, A. Shapiro, F. Waschenk (eds.), Bodies in Transition: Dissolving the Boundaries of Embodied Knowledge. Paderborn, 211–248.

Radt, S. 2005: Strabons Geographika: Buch XIV-XVII: Text und Übersetzung. Göttingen.

Schmeja, H. 1975: Dareios, Xerxes, Artaxerxes: Drei persische Königsnamen in griechischer Deutung (Zu Herodot 6, 98,3). Die Sprache 21, 184–188.

Schmitt, R. 1977: Thronnamen bei den Achaimeniden. Beiträge zur Namenforschung 12, 422–425.

Schmitt, R. 1982: Achaemenid Throne-Names. AION Linguistica 42, 1, 83–95.

Scott, L. 2005: Historical Commentary on Herodotus Book 6. Leiden–Boston.

Tafażżolī, A. 1994: DERĀZ-DAST. In: Encyclopædia Iranica. Vol. VII. Fasc. 3, 319–320.

Trukhina, N.N. 1992: Korneliy Nepot. O znamenitykh inozemnykh polkovodtsakh. Iz knigi o rimskikh istorikakh: per. s lat. i komment. N.N. Trukhinoy [Cornelius Nepos. On the famous foreign commanders]. Moscow.

Tuplin, C.J. 1997: Achaemenid Arithmetic: Numerical Problems in Persian History. Topoi. Orient- Occident 1, 365–421.

Vigasin, A.A. 2015: Tsar’ dolgorukiy [The King Long-armed]. Aristey [Aristeas] 11, 293–296.