download PDF

Abstract

The article, after some general observations of typology of nicknames, deals at fi rst with evidenced by sources nicknames of rulers (mainly tyrants) of the period in question; it appears that relevant material is scanty enough. Then the author turns to nicknames of political leaders in the republican poleis; naturally, in Athens their number is the biggest one. As to nicknames of Athenian politicians, they are, surely, mentioned in narrative sources; but a real treasure trove in this respect turns out to be ostraka for ostracism. Their data about nicknames need urgently a thorough research.

Keywords

Archaic and Classical Greece, nicknames, types of nicknames, Athens, politicians, tyrants, ostraka, and ostracism

Igor E. Surikov

Institute of World History of RAS, Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Berti, M. 1999: Note storiche e prosopografi che agli ostraka di Μυρωνίδης Φλυεύς dal Kerameikós di Atene. Minima epigraphica et papyrologica 2, 77–109.

Berve, H. 1967a: Die Tyrannis bei den Griechen. Bd. 1. Darstellung. München.

Berve, H. 1967b: Die Tyrannis bei den Griechen. Bd. 2. Anmerkungen. München.

Bicknell, P.J. 1974a: Athenian Politics and Genealogy: Some Pendants. Historia 23, 2, 146–163.

Bicknell, P.J. 1974b: Agora Ostrakon P 7103. L’Antiquité classique 43, 334–337.

Bicknell, P.J. 1986: Agasias the Donkey. Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 62, 183– 184.

Bourriot, F. 1976: Recherches sur la nature du genos: Étude d’histoire sociale athénienne. Periodes archaïque et classique. Lille–Paris.

Bradford, A.S. 2011: Leonidas and the Kings of Sparta: Mightiest Warriors, Fairest Kingdom. Santa Barbara.

Brenne, S. 1992: “Portraits” auf Ostraka. Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts. Athenische Abteilung 107, 161–185.

Brenne, S. 1994: Ostraka and the Process of Ostrakophoria. In: W.D.E. Coulson, O. Palagia, T.L. Shear, H.A. Shapiro (eds.), The Archaeology of Athens and Attica under the Democracy. Oxford, 13–24.

Brenne, S. 2001: Ostrakismos und Prominenz in Athen: Attische Bürger des 5. Jhs. v.Chr. auf den Ostraka. Wien.

Brenne, S. 2002: Die Ostraka (487 – ca. 416 v. Chr.) als Testimonien. In: P. Siewert (Hg.), Ostrakismos- Testimonien I: Die Zeugnisse antiker Autoren, der Inschriften und Ostraka über das athenische Scherbengericht aus vorhellenistischer Zeit (487–322 v. Chr.). Stuttgart, 36–166.

Davies, J.K. 1971: Athenian Propertied Families 600–300 B.C. Oxford.

Degani, E. 1991: Aristofane e la tradizione dell’invettiva personale in Grecia. Entretiens sur l’antiquité classique 38, 1–49.

Evdokimov, P.A. 2016: Tsari doellinisticheskogo Kipra: mezhdu bogami i lyud’mi, mezhdu bronzoy i zhelezom, na perekrestke Vostoka i Zapada [Kings of pre-Hellenistic Cyprus: between gods and people, between bronze and iron, on a crossroad of East and West]. In: S.Yu. Saprykin, I.A. Ladynin (eds.), “Bogi sredi lyudey”: kul’t praviteley v ellinisticheskom, postellenisticheskom i rimskom mire [“Gods among people”: The cult of rulers in Hellenistic, post-Hellenistic and Roman world]. Moscow–Saint Petersburg, 76–118.

Finley, M.I. 1983: Politics in the Ancient World. Cambridge.

Harding, P. 1977: Atthis and Politeia. Historia 26, 2, 148–160.

Harman, R. 2012: A Spectacle of Greekness: Panhellenism and the Visual in Xenophon’s Agesilaus. In: F. Hobden, C. Tuplin (eds.), Xenophon: Ethical Principles and Historical Enquiry. Leiden–Boston, 427–453.

Harvey, F.D. 1966: Literacy in the Athenian Democracy. Revue des études grecques 79, 585–635.

Hoff, M. 2005: Athens Honors Pompey the Great. In: L. de Blois, J. Bons, T. Kessels, D.M. Schenkeveld (eds.), The Statesman in Plutarch’s Works: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference of the International Plutarch Society. Vol. 2. The Statesman in Plutarch’s Greek and Roman Lives. Leiden–Boston, 327–336.

Hornblower, S. 1992: A Commentary on Thucydides. Vol. 1. Oxford.

Jeffery, L.H. 1963: The Local Scripts of Archaic Greece: A Study of the Origin of the Greek Alphabet and its Development from the Eighth to the Fifth Centuries B.C. Oxford. мKarpyuk, S.G. 2012: Persidskaya roskosh’ v demokraticheskikh Afi nakh [Persian luxury in democratic Athens]. Vestnik drevney istorii [Journal of ancient history] 3, 58–67.

Kõiv, M. 2003: Ancient Tradition and Early Greek History: The Origins of States in Early- Archaic Sparta, Argos and Corinth. Tallinn.

Lang, M. 1990: Ostraka (The Athenian Agora. Vol. 25). Princeton.

Lavelle, B.M. 2005: Fame, Money, and Power: The Rise of Peisistratos and “Democratic” Tyranny at Athens. Ann Arbor.

Lewis, D.M. 1974: The Kerameikos Ostraka. Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 14, 1–4.

Littman, R.J. 1990: Kinship and Politics in Athens 600–400 B.C. New York.

Mattingly, H.B. 1971: Facts and Artifacts: The Researcher and his Tools. The University of Leeds Review 14, 2, 277–297.

Miller, M.C. 1997: Athens and Persia in the Fifth Century B.C.: A Study in Cultural Receptions. Cambridge.

Moretti, L. 1957: Olympionikai, i vincitori negli antichi agoni Olimpici. Roma.

Parke, H.W. 1967: The Oracles of Zeus: Dodona, Olympia, Ammon. Cambridge Mass.

Pechatnova, L.G. 2007: Spartanskie tsari [Spartan kings]. Moscow.

Peek, W. 1941: Inschriften, Ostraka, Fluchtafeln (Kerameikos. Bd. 3). Berlin.

Picard, Ch. 1930: Le “présage” de Cléoménès (507 av.J.-C.) et la divination sur l’Acropole d’Athènes. Revue des études grecques 43, 262–278.

Plutarch 1990: Zastol’nye besedy [Table talkings]. Leningrad.

Powell, B.B. 1991: Homer and the Origin of the Greek Alphabet. Cambridge.

Raubitschek, A.E. 1957: Das Datislied. In: K. Schauenburg (Hg.), Charites: Studien zur Altertumswissenschaft. Bonn, 234–242.

Raubitschek, A.E. 1994: Megakles, geh nicht nach Eretria! Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 100, 381–382.

Rhodes, P.J. 1981: A Commentary on the Aristotelian Athenaion Politeia. Oxford.

Rung, E.V. 2000: Epilikov mirnyy dogovor [Epilycus’ peace treaty]. Vestnik drevney istorii [Journal of ancient history] 3 (234), 85–96.

Samons, L.J. 1998: Kimon, Kallias and Peace with Persia. Historia 47, 2, 129–140.

Samons, L.J. 2017: Herodotus on the Kimonids: Peisistratid Allies in Sixth-Century Athens. Historia 66, 1, 21–44.

Schachermeyr, F. 1966: Die frühe Klassik der Griechen. Stuttgart.

Schwarze, J. 1971: Die Beurteilung des Perikles durch die attische Komödie und ihre historische und historiographische Bedeutung. München.

Shapiro, H.A. 1982: Kallias Kratiou Alopekethen. Hesperia 51, 1, 69–73.

Shapiro, H.A. 1994: Religion and Politics in Democratic Athens. In: W.D.E. Coulson, O. Palagia, T.L. Shear, H.A. Shapiro (eds.), The Archaeology of Athens and Attica under the Democracy. Oxford, 123–129.

Siewert, P. 1991: Accuse contro i “candidati” all’ostracismo per la loro condotta politica e morale. Contributi dell’Istituto di storia antica (Milano) 17, 3–14.

Snodgrass, A.M. 2001: Pausanias and the Chest of Kypselos. In: S.E. Alcock, J.F. Cherry, J. Elsner (eds.), Pausanias: Travel and Memory in Roman Greece. Oxford, 127–141.

Stamires, G.A., Vanderpool, E. 1950: Kallixenos the Alkmeonid. Hesperia 19, 4, 376–390.

Stark, I. 2002: Athenische Politiker und Strategen als Feiglinge, Beitrüger und Klaffärsche. Die Wannung vor politischer Devianz und das Spiel mit den Namen prominenter Zeitgenossen. In: A. Ercoloni (Hg.), Spoudaiogeloion: Form und Funktion der Verspottung in der aristophanischen Komödie. Stuttgart–Weimar, 147–167.

Stein-Hölkeskamp, E. 1989: Adelskultur und Polisgesellschaft: Studien zum griechischen Adel in archaischen und klassischen Zeit. Stuttgart.

Storey, I. 1998: Poets, Politicians and Perverts: Personal Humour in Aristophanes. Classics Ireland 5, 85–134.

Strauss, B.S. 1986: Athens after the Peloponnesian War. Croom Helm.

Surikov, I.E. 2000a: Dva ocherka ob afi nskoy vneshney politike klassicheskoy epokhi [Two notes on the Classical Athens’ foreign policy]. In: O.L. Gabelko (ed.), Mezhgosudarstvennye otnosheniya i diplomatiya v antichnosty. Ch. 1 [Interstate relations and diplomacy in antiquity, Pt. 1]. Kazan, 95–112.

Surikov, I.E. 2000b: Iz istorii grecheskoy aristokratii pozdnearkhaicheskoy i ranneklassicheskoy epokh [From the history of Greek aristocracy in Late Archaic and Early Classical periods]. Moscow.

Surikov, I.E. 2001: Politicheskaya bor’ba v Afi nakh v nachale V v. do n.e. i pervye ostrakoforii [Political struggle in Athens in early 5th c. BC and the fi rst ostrakophories]. Vestnik drevney istorii [Journal of ancient history] 2, 118–130.

Surikov, I.E. 2003: Ostrakon Megakla, Alkmeonidy i Eretriya (Epigrafi cheskoye svidetel’stvo o vneshnikh svyazyakh afi nskoy aristokratii) [Megacles’ ostrakon, the Alcmaeonidae and Eretria (An epigraphical evidence for foreign relations of Athenian aristocracy)]. Vestnik drevney istorii [Journal of ancient history] 2, 16–25.

Surikov, I.E. 2004: Athenian Nobles and the Olympic Games. Mésogeios 2004, 24, 185–208.

Surikov, I.E. 2005: Antichnaya Gretsiya: Politiki v kontekste epokhi. Arkhaika i rannyaya klassika [Ancient Greece: Politicians in the context of the epoch. Archaic and Early Classical periods]. Moscow.

Surikov, I.E. 2006: Ostrakizm v Afi nakh [Ostracism in Athens]. Moscow.

Surikov, I.E. 2008: Antichnaya Gretsiya: Politiki v kontekste epokhi. Vremya rastsveta demokratii [Ancient Greece: Politicians in the context of the epoch. The Heyday of Democracy]. Moscow.

Surikov, I.E. 2009: Novye nabl’yudeniya v svyazi s onomastiko-prosopographicheskim materialom afinskikh ostrakonov [New observations on the onomastical and prosopographic information of the Athenian ostraka]. Voprosy epigraphiki [Questions of epigraphic] 3, 102–127.

Surikov, I.E. 2012: Herodotus’s Histories and Athenian Aristocratic Families. In: B. Aleksejeva, O. Lāms, I. Rūmniece (eds.), Hellenic Dimension: Materials of the Riga 3rd International Conference on Hellenic Studies. Riga, 30–39.

Surikov, I.E. 2013a: Herodotus and the Philaids. In: A. Mehl, A.V. Makhlayuk, O. Gabelko (eds.), Ruthenia Classica Aetatis Novae: A Collection of Works by Russian Scholars in Ancient Greek and Roman History. Stuttgart, 45–70.

Surikov, I.E. 2013b: Na periferii velikikh tsivilizatsiy Vostoka: antichnye greki kak varvary [At the periphery of great Eastern civilizations: Ancient Greeks as barbarians]. Tsivilizatsiya i varvarstvo [Civilisation and barbarity] 2, 42–64.

Surikov, I.E. 2015а: Antichnaya Gretsiya: mental’nost’, religiya, kultura [Ancient Greece: Mentality, religion, culture]. Moscow.

Surikov, I.E. 2015b: Patriotizm afi nskikh lakonofi lov: spetsifi ka i kollizii [Patriotism of Athenian Laconophils: Specifi cs and collisions]. In: E.V. Rung, E.A. Chiglintsev, D.V. Shmelev (eds.), Patriotizm i kollaboratsionizm v mirovoy istorii [Patriotism and collaborationism in the world history]. Kazan, 9–31.

Surikov, I.E. 2016: Predposylki stanovleniya kul’ta praviteley v doellinisticheskoy Gretsii [Premises of the emergence of rulers’ cult in pre-Hellenistic Greece]. In: S.Yu. Saprykin, I.A. Ladynin (eds.), “Bogi sredi lyudey”: kul’t praviteley v ellinisticheskom, postellenisticheskom i rimskom mire [“Gods among people”: The cult of rulers in Hellenistic, post- Hellenistic and Roman world]. Moscow–Saint Petersburg, 34–75.

Surikov, I.E. 2017a: Prozvishcha u grekov arkhaicheskoy i klassicheskoy epokh. I. Predvaritel’nye soobrazheniya obshcheteoreticheskogo kharaktera [Nicknames among Greeks of the Archaic and Classical periods: I. Preliminary thoughts of general theoretical character]. Problemy istorii, filologii, kul’tury [Journal of historical, philological and cultural studies] 1, 19–34.

Surikov, I.E. 2017b: Prozvishcha u grekov arkhaicheskoy i klassicheskoy epokh. II. U istokov fenomena [Nicknames among Greeks of the Archaic and Classical periods: II. On the origins of the phenomenon]. Problemy istorii, fi lologii, kul’tury [Journal of historical, philological and cultural studies] 3, 5–26.

Surikov, I.E. 2017v: “Neveroyatnye priklyucheniya evropeytsev v Azii” (znamenitye affi nyane VI–V vv. do n.e. na territorii Akhemenidskoy derzhavy [Famous Athenians of the sixth and fifth centuries BC in the territory of the Achaemenid Empire]. In: O.L. Gabelko, E.V. Rung, A.A. Sinitsyn, E.V. Smykov (eds), Iranica: Iranskie imperii i greko-rimskiy mir v VI v. do n.e. –VI v. n.e. [Iranica: Iranian empires and the Greco-Roman world from the 6th century BC to the 5th century AD]. Kazan, 181–213.

Veisman, A.D. 1991: Grechesko-russkiy slovar’: Reprint V-go izdaniya 1899 g. [A Greek-Russian lexicon: A reprint of the 5th edition, 1899]. Moscow.

Whitehead, D. 1993: 1–41, 42–69: A Tale of Two Politeiai. In: M. Piérart (ed.), Aristote et Athènes. Paris, 25–38.

Willemsen, F.1965: Ostraka. Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts. Athenische Abteilung 80,100–126.

Zel’in, K.K. 1962: Olimpioniki i tirany [Olympionics and tyrants]. Vestnik drevney istorii [Journal of ancient history] 4, 21–29.

Zhestokanov, S.M. 2014: Rannyaya grecheskaya tiraniya: Khrestomatiya [Early Greek tyranny: A chrestomathy]. Saint Petersburg.