download PDF

Abstract

The authors compare the functions and role of various categories of the ancient ceramics in the everyday life and culture of the near and far Barbarian periphery of the Classical World (the settled Meotians and the nomadic Sarmatians of the Kuban region and interfl uve of the Volga and the Ural region nomadic tribes).

The comparative analysis embraces the period from the 3rd century BC to the 2nd century AD. Throughout this time, there was the Sarmatian nomadic population and the ancient ceramics was used in both regions. The ceramics was examined by categories (amphorae, Bosporan red clay pottery, perfume vessels, black-, brownish black- and red-glazed pottery, ‘‘Megarian’’ bowls, lagunoi, shaped receptacles, pithoi, lamps, tiles, terracotta fi gurines, terracotta medallions, etc.).

The analysis shows the ancient ceramics (as well as Greek items transported in ceramic containers) became a part of the Barbarian everyday life and funeral practices in both Kuban and the Volga-Ural regions. The wider assortment of ancient ceramics is recorded in near Classical World’s periphery. Through the medium of ceramics, the Greek culture had a signifi cant impact on the Meotians and the Sarmatians of the Kuban region as well as close Classical World’s periphery. In comparison with other import ceramic categories (Kuban, Don, Middle Asian centers wheel-made pottery), the ancient ceramics took signifi cant place neither in culture nor trade links of far periphery (interfl uve of the Volga and the Ural region) nomads even at the height of trade relations with the Classical World.

Keywords

Kuban region, Volga, Ural, nomads, ceramic import, Maeotians, Sarmatians, periphery

Andrey V. Bezrukov, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Vladislav V. Ulitin, Kuban State University, Krasnodar, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Akbulatov, I.M. 1999: Ekonomika rannikh kochevnikov Yuzhnogo Urala [Economy of Early Nomads of the Southern Ural]. Ufa.

Anfimov, I.N. 1986а: Pogrebal’nyy kompleks II v. do n.e. u khutora Elitnyy (Krasnodarskiy kray) [2nd century burial complex at khutor Elitnyy (Krasnodar Territory)]. In: V.I. Markovin (ed.), Novoe v arkheologii Severnogo Kavkaza [Recent Discoveries in the Archaeology of Northern Caucasus]. Moscow, 190–197.

Anfimov, N.V. 1986б: Kurgannyy kompleks sarmatskogo vremeni iz basseyna r. Kirpili [Barrow comlex of the Sarmatian Time in the Basin of the Kirpili River]. In: V.I. Markovin (ed.), Novoe v arkheologii Severnogo Kavkaza [Recent Discoveries in the Archaeology of Northern Caucasus]. Moscow, 183–190.

Bezrukov, A.V., Ulitin V.V. 2017: Osobennosti keramicheskogo importa u kochevnikov Prikuban’ya I Volgo-Kam’ya vo II v. do n.e. – II v. n.e. [Ceramic Import Pecularities in the Nomadic Areas of the Kuban and Volga-Kama Region in 2nd c. BC to 2nd c. AD]. Stratum plus 3, 239–257.

Berlizov, N.E., Anfi mov, I.N. 2006: Elizavetinskiy mogil’nik № 1 (po dannym rukopisnogo arkhiva N.V. Anfi mova [Elizavetinskiy burial ground № 1 (based on N.V. Anfi mov’s handwritten archive)]. Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii Severnogo Kavkaza [Materials and Studies on the Archaeology of the North Caucasus] 6, 121–138.

Brashinskiy, I.B. 1984: Torgovlya [Trade]. In: G.A. Koshelenko (ed.), Antichnye gosudarstva Severnogo Prichernomor’ya [Ancient States of the Northern Pontic Region]. Moscow, 174–186.

Erlikh, V.R. 2014: Drevnosti «Doliny yablon’». Katalog vystavki [Antiquities of the “Apple Trees Valley”: Catalogue of the Exhibition]. Moscow.

Gorodtsov, V.A. 1941: Elizavetinskaya, 1936 g. [Elizavetinskaya stanitsa, 1936]. In: V.V. Golmsten (ed.), Arkheologicheskie issledovaniya v SSSR 1934–1936 gg. Kratkie otchyety i svedeniya [Stanitsa Elizavetinskaya, 1936. Archaeological Studies in the USSR in 1934–1936. Summaries and information]. Moscow–Leningrad, 210–214.

Kamenetskiy, I.S. 2011: Istoriya izucheniya meotov [History of Maeotian Studies]. Moscow. Kropotkin, V.V. 1970: Rimskie importnye izdeliya v Vostochnoy Evrope (II v. do n. e. – V v. n. e.) [Roman Import in Eastern Europe: from the 2nd Century BC to the 5th Century AD] (Svod Arkheologicheskikh Istochnikov [Corpus of Archaeological Sources] D1–27). Moscow.

Limberis, N.Yu., Marchenko, I.I., Monakhov, S.Yu. 2011: Novaya “prikubanskaya” seriya ellinisticheskikh amfor [New “Kuban” series of Hellenistic amphorae]. Antichnyy Mir i Arkheologiya [Ancient World and Archaeology] 15, 265–283.

Limberis, N.Yu., Marchenko, I.I. 2005: Khronologiya keramicheskikh kompleksov s antichnymi importami iz raskopok meotskikh mogil’nikov Pravoberezh’ya Kubani [Chronology of ceramic complexes with ancient import from the excavations of the Meotian Kuban River right bank burial grounds]. Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii Kubani [Materials and Research on the Archaeology of Kuban] 5, 219–324.

Limberis, N.Yu., Marchenko, I.I. 2016: O grecheskom vliyanii na goncharnoe proizvodstvo meotov [About Greek infl uence on Meotian pottery]. In: I.A. Khaman (ed.), Ellinistika v gumanitarnom prostranstve: yazykovye, kulturologicheskie i didakticheskie aspekty: materialy II Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii ellinistov, provedyennoy v ramkakh ob’yavlennogo v 2016 godu perekryestnogo goda Rossii i Gretsii (Krasnodar, 21–23 aprelya 2016 g.) [Hellenic studies in humanities knowledge: language, culturological and didactic aspects: proceedings of the 2nd International Applied Research Conference of Hellenists Held in the Context of 2016 Announced as the Russia-Greece Cross-year (Krasnodar, April 21–23, 2016)]. Krasnodar, 261–268.

Marchenko, I.I. 1996: Siraki Kubani (Po materialam kurgannykh pogrebeniy Nizhney Kubani) [Kuban Siraces (Basing on the Materials from the Barrow Burials from Lower Kuban Region)]. Krasnodar.

Monakhov, S.Yu. 1999: Grecheskie amfory v Prichernomor’e. Kompleksy keramicheskoy tary VII–II vv. do n.e. [Greek amphorae in the Pontic region. Complexes of ceramic ware from the 7th–2nd centuries BC]. Saratov.

Monakhov, S.Yu. 2006: O khronologii sarmatskogo pogrebeniya s gerakleyskoy amforoy iz Bashkirii [About chronology of Sarmatian burial with Heraclean amphora from Bashkiria]. In: A.V. Simonenko (ed.), Liber Archaeologicae. Sbornik statey, posviashchennyy 60-letiyu Borisa Aronovicha Raeva [Liber Archaeologicae. A Tribute to B.A. Raev’s 60th Anniversary]. Krasnodar–Rostov-on-Don, 89–93.

Moshkova, M.G. 1989: Savromaty i sarmaty v Volgo-Donskom mezhdurech’e [Sauromatians and sarmatians in the interfl uve of the Volga and the Don.]. In: A.I. Melyukova (ed.), Stepi evropeiskoy chasti SSSR v skifo-sarmatskoe vremya [Steppes of the European Part of the USSR in the Scythian-Sarmatian Time]. Moscow, 153–214.

Raevskiy, D.S. 1988: Skifo-sarmatskaya mifologiya [Scythian-Sarmatian mythology]. In: S.A. Tokarev (ed.), Mify narodov mira [World myths] 2. Moscow, 445–450.

Rykov, P.S. 1925: Suslovskiy kurgannyy mogil’nik [Suslovskiy Barrow Necropolis]. In: Uchenye zapiski Saratovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Scientifi c Bulletin of the Saratov State University] 4 (3), 28–102.

Shelov, D.B. 1972: Tanais i Nizhniy Don v pervye veka nashey ery [Tanais and Lower Don in the First Centuries AD]. Moscow.

Shevchenko, N.F. 2013: Plemena Vostochnogo Priazov’ya na rubezhe ery [Tribes of the East Azov Sea Shore on the Turn of Erae]. Rostov-on-Don.

Shilov, V.P. 1959: Kalinovskii kurgannyy mogil’nik [Kalinovsky Barrow Necropolis]. In: Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii SSSR [Materials and Studies in the Archaeology of the USSR] 60, 323–523.

Simonenko, A.V., Marčenko, I.I., Limberis, N.Ju. 2008: Römische Importe in sarmatischen und maiotischen Gräbern zwischen Unterer Donau und Kuban. (Archäologie in Eurasien 25). Mainz–Berlin.

Sinitsyn, I.V. 1960: Drevnie pamiatniki v nizov’iakh Eruslana (po raskopkam 1954—1955 gg.) [Ancient Sites in the Lower Yeruslan River Area: by 1954–1955 Excavations]. In: Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii SSSR [Materials and Studies in the Archaeology of the USSR] 78, 10–168.

Skripkin, A.S. 1990: Aziatskaya Sarmatiya (problemy khronologii i eye istoricheskiy aspekt) [Sarmatia Asiatica: Problems of Chronology and Its Historical Aspect]. Saratov.

Smirnov, K.F. 1959: Kurgany y syel Ilovatka i Politodel’skoe Stalingradskoy obl. [Barrows at villages Ilovatka and Politotdel’skoe of Stalingradskaya region]. In: Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii SSSR [Materials and Studies in the Archaeology of the USSR] 60, 206–322.

Ulitin, V.V. 2016: Vino v religioznykh predstavleniyakh meotskikh plemyen Prikuban’ya: obshchaya kharakteristika [Wine in religious beliefs of Meotian tribes of Kuban region: general characterization]. In: A.N. Gei, I.A. Sorokina, (eds.), Arkheologicheskaia nauka: Praktika, teoriya, istoriya. Sbornik statey pamyati I.S. Kamenetskogo [Archaeological Science: Practice, Theory, History. Collected papers in the memory of I.S. Kamenetsky]. Moscow, 220–227.

Zhdanovskiy, A.M. 2015: Nekotorye voprosy torgovo-ekonomicheskikh svyazey Prikuban’ya v sarmatskoe vremya [Some issues on trade and economic relations of the Kuban Region in the Sarmatian Time]. Arkheologiya i etnograpiya Pontiysko-Kavkazskogo regiona [Archaeology and Ethnography of Pontic and Caucasian Area] 3. Krasnodar, 95–114.