download PDF

Abstract

The author attributes the coins of the Crimean Khanate found during excavations at the settlements of Vinogradny 7 and Taman-16. The coins were minted in the 16th – 18th centuries. The earliest coins were found at the settlement Vinogradny 7. They are two akçe struck under Devlet Giray I at the mint of town of Crimea. A beshlyk of Fetch Giray II was struck at the mint of Bakhchisarai. One more coin of the Crimean Khanate was discovered at Taman-16. This is a pre-reform beshlyk of Shahin Giray issued at the Bakhchsarai mint.

Such coins are often found in the Crimea and everywhere in the Northern Black Sea Region. The akçe of Devlet Giray I was in circulation until the mid-17th century. A chronological indicator for the medieval layers is the latest coin issued under Shahin Giray. The period of its circulation was short. In the fourth year of his ruling, the khan carried out the monetary reform to introduce silver and copper coins of machine stamping, replacing all previous issues.

The Crimean coins are interesting by their metrology, stylistics of design, and by the variety of handwritings of the dies engravers. These coins are the important evidence for the economic and political situation in the Crimean Khanate.

Keywords

Crimean Khanate, Taman peninsula, archaeology, numismatics, akçe, beshlyk

Mikhail M. Choref

Nizhnevartovsk State University, Nizhnevartovsk, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Abramzon, M.G., Sudarev, I.N. 2017a: Monety iz raskopok poseleniya Vinogradnyy 7 (2016 g.) [Coins from the 2016 Excavations at the Site of Vinogradny 7 (Taman Peninsula)]. Problemy istorii, fi lologii, kul’tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies] 3, 371–391.

Abramzon, M.G., Sudarev, I.N. 2017b: Monety iz raskopok poseleniya Taman-16 v 2016 g. [Excavation Coins from the Taman-16 Settlement]. Problemy istorii, fi lologii, kul’tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies] 3, 353–371.

Choref, M.M. 2007: K voprosu o periode funktsionirovaniya monetnogo dvora g. Kyrk-Jera [On the issue of the period of functioning of the Mint of Kyrk-Yer]. Materialy po Arkheologii, Istorii i Etnografii Tavrii [Materials on Archeology, History and Tavriya’s Ethnography] XIII, 375–382.

Choref, M.M. 2006: K voprosu ob emissii kafi yskikh akche pri Devlete Girae I i Mukhammede Girae II [To the question of the issue of the Kafi an akçe under Devlet Giray I and Mohammed Giray II]. Istoricheskoe nasledie Kryma [Historical heritage of the Crimea] 16, 77–81.

Choref, M.M. 2015. O sostave denezhnogo obrashheniya v Krymskom khanstve v XVII v. po materialam klada iz Tsentral’nogo muzeya Tavridy [On the composition of monetary circulation in the Crimean Khanate in the 17th century on the basis of treasure from the Central Museum of Taurida]. Еvropa [Europa]. Vol. XIV/1–2, 63–71.

Retowski, O. 1905. Die Münzen der Gireï. Moskau.