download PDF

Abstract

The author examines some depictions on a group of chalkoy of Mithridates I Callinicus (100–70 BC), the King of Commagene. The fi rst type is ‘caduceus of Hermes/eagle, holding a palm branch in his claws and a wreath in his beak’. The second one is a ‘date palm/ eagle’. The author supposes that the reverse type of the eagle with palm branch imitated the coins of Achaeus, the Seleucid dynast, who ruled in Asia Minor in 220–214 BC. The scholar believes the type of the eagle is associated with the worship of Zeus (Zeus-Oromazda) in Commagene during the Mithridates I’s rule. This cult of the offi cial royal ideology is to be linked with the Iranian tradition in Commagene that is indicated by the epigraphy of his son, Antiochus I. It seems likely that Mithridates, as well as fi rstly Achaeus, used in his coinage the symbols of his military successes in 90 BC, when the Parthians invaded Commagene were defeated. The author sure that the title «Callinicus» was also associated with the military symbolism, although there is another interpretation. Others coin types as the caduceus and date palm can emphasize the protection of Apollo-Hermes over the king. The inscriptions of Antiochus I record Apollo- Hermes. Thus, Mithridates I Callinicus possibly tried to give his own person the heroic status, while there is no evidence of his deifi cation.

Keywords

Hellenism, Commagene, Mithridates I, coinage, coin types, cults of Zeus, Heracles, Hermes, Apollo-Hermes

Sergey V. Obukhov

Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Babelon, E. 1890: Les Rois de la Syrie, ďArmenie et de Commagene. Paris.

Bartolomaei, I.A. 1926: Monnaies des Arsacides. Werscheinlich zur einer projectirten monographie. Berlin.

Borisov, A.YA., Lukonin, V.G. 1963: Sasanidskie gemmy [The Sassanid gems]. Leningrad.

Dibvoyz, N.K. 2008: Politicheskaya istoriya Parfi i. [The political history of Parthya]. Saint Petersburg.

Facella, M. 2006: La Dinastia degli Orontidi nella Commagene Ellenistico-Romana. Pisa.

Harrison, J.E. 1905: Religion of the ancient Greece. London.

Honigmann, E. 1924: Kommagenna. Pauly’s Realencyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft. IV, 978–990.

Houghton, A., Lorber, C., Hoover, O. 2002: Seleucid Coins. A Comprehensive Catalogue. Pt I. Seleucus I through Antiochus III. Lancaster–London.

Jalabert, L., Mouterde, R. 1929: Inscriptions grecques et latines de la Sуrie. Paris.

Kagarov, E.G. 1913: Kul’t fetishey, rasteniy i zhivotnykh v Drevney Gretsii [The cult of the fetishes, plants and animals in Ancient Greece]. Saint Petersburg.

Khaniotis, A. 2013: Voyna v ellinisticheskom mire [The war in the Hellenistic World]. Saint Petersburg.

Lange, K. 1938: Herrscher Köpfe des Altertums im Münzbild ihrer Zeit. Berlin–Zürich.

Losev, A.F. 1991: Apollon [Apollo]. In: S.A. Tokarev (ed.), Mify narodov mira [The Myths of the Nations of the World]. Vol. 1. Moscow, 92–96.

Mikhalevich, G.P. 1969: Raskopki iranskikh arkheologov v Persepole i Pasargadakh [The Excavations of iranian archeologists in Persepolis and Pasargadae]. Sovetskaya Arkheologiya [Soviet Archaeology] 2, 301–305.

Novosadskiy, N.I. 1887: Elevsinskie misterii: issledovanie v oblasti drevnegrecheskikh kul'tov [The Euleusinian mysteries: The Study in the sphere of ancient Greek cults]. Moscow.

Obukhov, S.V. 2016: Artagn-Gerakl-Ares v antichnoy Kommagene [The Artagn-Herakles-Ares in the antique Commagene]. Problemy istorii, fi lologii, kul'tury [The Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies] 1, 67–85.

Pichikyan, I.R. 1983: Aleksandr-Gerakl (greko-baktrijskiy portret velikogo polkovodtsa) [The Alexander-Heracles (the Greek-Bactrian portrait of the great general)]. Sovetskaya Arkheologiya [Soviet Archaeology ] 1, 80–90.

Rose, B.Ch. 2013: A New Relief of Antiochus I of Commagene and other stone sculpture from Zeugma. In: W. Aylwerd. (eds.), Excavations at Zeugma Conducted by Oxford Archaeology. California, 220–231, fi g. 1–2.

Saprykin, S.Yu. 2009: Religiya i kul'ty Ponta ellinisticheskogo i rimskogo vremeni. [The religion and cults of Pontus during the Hellenistic and Roman time]. Moscow–Tula.

Takho-Godi, A.A. 1991: Germes [Hermes]. In: S.A. Tokarev (red.), Mify narodov mira [The Myths of the Nations of the World]. Vol. 1. Moscow, 292–294.

Tiratsyan, G.A. 1956: Strana Kommagena i Armeniya [The land Commagene and Armenia]. Izvestiya AN Arm. SSR. Seriya obshchesyvennykh nauk [News of the Academy of Sciences of Armenian SSR. Ser. soc. sciences] 3, 69–74.

Tokarev, S.A. 1976: Religiya v istorii narodov mira [The Religion in the history of worldʹ s nations]. Moscow.

Trofimova, A.A. 2012: Imitatio Alexandri. Potrety Aleksandra Makedonskogo i mifologicheskie obrazy v iskusstve ellinizma [Imitatio Alexandri: the Portraits of Alexander the Great and mythological images in art of the Hellenistic epoch]. Saint Petersburg.

Wagner, J. 1975: Neue Funde zum Götter und Königskult unter Antiochos I von Kommagene. Antike Welt. Kommagene. Zeitschrift fur Archaologie und Urgeschichte. Sondernummer 6, 51–59, 75–86 abb.

Waldmann, H. 1973: Die Kommagenischen Kultreformen unter König Mithradates I Kallinikos und seinem Sohne Antiochos I. Leiden.

Wernicke, R. 1897: Apollon. Pauly’s Realencyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft. 2, 1–111.

Wilcken, O. 1932: Mithridates I. Pauly’s Realencyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft. 15, 2213.

Zaytsev, A.I. 1991: Gerakl [Hercules]. In: S.A. Tokarev (red.), Mify narodov mira [The Myths of the Nations of the World]. Vol. 1. Moscow, 277–283.

Zelinskiy, F.F. 2010: Istoriya antichnykh religiy [The history of antique religions]. Rostov-na- Donu.