download PDF

Abstract

The author analyzes the archaeological evidences on burial rites of the not nomadic population of Central Asia in the Early Iron Age. For a long time fi ndings of this kind were almost unknown; due to their probable absence a number of conclusions were made. Systematization of scattered information about fi ndings of human bones on Central Asian settlements and the recent such fi nds allows us to indicate the main features of the ritual. They are as following: the desire for isolation of the remains from the ground; fi nds of partial skeletons (mostly skulls); evidence of deformation of the corpses prior to decomposition of the remains; mixing human remains with bones of animals, etc. Based on the analysis of sources, the consideration of the identifi ed elements, exceptions and analogies, the author draws a conclusion that identifi ed evidence of Mazdenian funerary practices infl uenced greatly on the formation of the classical Zoroastrian funerary rite traditions in Central Asia.

Keywords

Central Asia, Early Iron Age, the fi nds of human bones, Mazdaism

Victor V. Mokroborodov

Institute Archaeology of RAS, Moscow, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Abdullaev, A. 1976: Otchet o raskopkakh Tamosho-tepe v 1972 g. [Report on the excavations Tamosho-Tepe in 1972]. Arkheologicheskie raboty v Tadzhikistane [Archaeological research in Tajikistan] XII, 38–47.

Albaum, L.I. 1969: K datirovke verkhnego sloya poseleniya Kuchuktepa [The Dating of the upper layer of the settlement Kuchuktepa]. Istoriya material’noy kul’tury Uzbekistana [History of material culture of Uzbekistan] 8, 69–79.

Antonova, E.V. 2005: Ob ostankakh zhivotnykh v pamyatnikakh Baktriysko-Margianskogo arkheologicheskogo kompleksa. [The animal remains in the sites of Bactria-Margiana archaeological complex]. In.: E.A. Antonova, T.K. Mkrtychev (eds.), Tsentral’naya Aziya. Istochniki, istoriya, kul’tura [Central Asia. Sources, history, and culture]. Moscow, 105–118.

Arshavskaya, Z.A. 1987: Zametki ob arkhitekture Baktrii epokhi bronzy – rannego zheleza (K kharakteristike tipologicheskikh skhem). [Notes on the architecture of Bactria bronze age - early iron age (characteristics of the typological schemes)]. In.: A.S. Sagdullaev (ed.), Usad’by drevney Baktrii [Manors of ancient Bactria]. Tashkent, 91–96.

Askarov, A.A. 1977: Drevnezemledel’cheskaya kul’tura epokhi bronzy yuga Uzbekistana [Ancient agricultural culture of bronze age southern Uzbekistan]. Tashkent.

Askarov, A.A., Albaum, L.I. 1979: Poselenie Kuchuktepa [The Kuchuktepa settlement]. Tashkent.

Askarov, A.A. 1982: Raskopki Pshaktepa na yuge Uzbekistana [Excavations of Pshaktepa in the South of Uzbekistan]. Istoriya material’noy kul’tury Uzbekistana [History of material culture of Uzbekistan] 17, 30–41.

Askarov, A.A., Abdullaev, B.N. 1983: Dzharkutan. (K probleme protogorodskoy tsivilizacii na yuge Uzbekistana) [Djarkutan. (The problem of protourban civilization in the South of Uzbekistan)]. Tashkent.

Askarov, A.A., Ionesov, V.I. 1991: Zhertvoprinosheniya zhivotnykh v pogrebal’noy praktike osedlykh zemledel’tsev drevney Baktrii [The sacrifi ce of animals in the funerary practices of sedentary farmers of ancient Bactria]. Istoriya material’noy kul’tury Uzbekistana [History of material culture of Uzbekistan] 25, 22–33.

Avanesova, N.A. 2001: Rezul’taty issledovaniya nekropolya Buston VI [The results of the study of the necropolis Buston VI]. Arkheologicheskie issledovaniya v Uzbekistane – 2000 g. [Archaeological research in Uzbekistan – 2000]. Samarkand, 31–37.

Baratov, S.R. 2013: Novye dannye po arkheologii Yuzhnogo Khorezma [New data on the archaeology of southern Khorezm]. Arkheologiya Uzbekistana [Archaeology of Uzbekistan] 6, 27–59.

Basilov, V.N. 1992: Shamanstvo u narodov Sredney Azii i Kazakhstana [Shamanism among the peoples of Central Asia and Kazakhstan]. Moscow.

Bayalieva, T.D. 1972: Doislamskie verovaniya i ikh perezhitki u kirgizov [The pre-Islamic beliefs and their survivals among the kirghiz]. Frunze.

Belyaeva, T.V. 1994: O raskopkakh na Nurtepa i v Khudzhante [On the excavations on Nurtepe and Hujant]. Arkheologicheskie raboty v Tadzhikistane [Archaeological research in Tajikistan] XXV, 19–22.

Belyaeva, T. 2004: Nurtepa-Kiropol’ (iz istorii issledovaniya) [Nurtepe-Kiropol (history of research)]. In.: A. Saidov, A. Hakimov, E.V. Rtveladze (eds.), Transoxiana. History and culture. Tashkent, 43–47.

Bogomolov, G.I. 2007: Iz istorii zoroastriyskogo pogrebal’nogo obryada [About the history of the Zoroastrian funerary rite]. In.: T.Sh. Shirinov, Sh.R. Pidaev (eds.), Rol’ goroda Samarkanda v istorii mirovogo kul’turnogo razvitiya [The role of the city of Samarkand in the history of world cultural development]. Samarkand–Tashkent, 77–81.

Bolelov, S.B. 1999: Nekotorye itogi arkheologicheskikh rabot na Khumbuztepa [Some results of archaeological work on Humbuztepa]. Obshchestvennye nauki v Uzbekistane [Social sciences in Uzbekistan] 9-10, 85–90.

Bolelov, S.B. 2002: Ritual’noe zakhoronenie na Khumbuztepa (Yuzhnyy Khorezm) [The ritual burial at Humbuztepa (South Khorezm)]. Obshchestvennye nauki v Uzbekistane [Social sciences in Uzbekistan] 3-4, 83–86.

Boucharlat, R. 1988: Pratiques Funeraire dans l’Iran Sasanide [Practices Funerary in Iran’s Sasanide]. In: Bernard, P., Grenet, F. (eds.), UNESCO colloque Histoire et cultes de l’Asie Centrale preislamique [UNESCO symposium History and cults of the Central Asian pre- Islamic]. Paris.

Boys, M. 1987: Zoroastriytsy. Verovaniya i obychai [The Zoroastrians. Beliefs and customs]. Moscow.

Dandamaev, M.A., Lukonin, V.G. 1980: Kul’tura i ekonomika Drevnego Irana [Culture and economy of Ancient Iran]. Moscow.

Davudov, O.M. 1974: Kul’tury Dagestana epokhi rannego zheleza [The culture of Dagestan, the early iron age]. Makhachkala.

Dvurechenskaya, N.D. 2012: Masshtabnoe sooruzhenie ranneellinisticheskogo perioda na Kampyrtepa [Large-scale structure of the early Hellenistic period at Kampyrtepa]. Arkheologicheskie issledovaniya v Uzbekistane [Archaeological research in Uzbekistan] 7, 64–74.

Dyakonov, I.M. 1971: Vostochnyy Iran do Kira (k vozmozhnoy novoy postanovke voprosa) [Eastern Iran before Cyrus (a new question)]. In.: B.G. Gafurov (ed.), Istoriya Iranskogo gosudarstva i kul’tury [History of the Iranian state and culture]. Moscow, 122–153.

Ermolova, N.M. 1987: Kostnye ostatki iz pamyatnikov rannego zheleznogo veka (Yuzhnogo Uzbekistana) [The fossil remains of the monuments of the early iron age (southern Uzbekistan)]. In.: A.S. Sagdullaev (ed.), Usad’by drevney Baktrii [Manors of ancient Bactria]. Tashkent, 99–100.

Grenet, F. 1984: Les pratiques funeraires dans l’Asie Centrale sedentaire de la conquete greque a l islamisation [The practice funerary in the Central Asian sedentary conquest Greek was the islamisation]. Paris.

Gritsina, A.A. 1990: Drevneustrushanskiy komponent v integratsii sogdiyskoy kul’tury [Ancient ustrushanian component in the integration of Sogdian culture]. In.: Yu.F. Buryakov (ed.), Kul’tura drevnego i srednevekovogo Samarkanda i istoricheskie svyazi Sogda [The culture of ancient and medieval Samarkand and the historical ties of the Sogd]. Tashkent, 33–34.

Gutsalov, S.Yu. 2011: Pogrebal’nyy obryad kochevnikov Yuzhnogo Priural’ya v kontse VI–V vv. do n.e.: istoki [The funeral ceremony of nomads of the southern Urals at the end of 6th– 5th centuries BC: the origins]. In.: G.G. Matishov, L.T. Yablonskiy, S.I. Lukyashko (eds.), Pogrebal’nyy obryad rannikh kochevnikov Evrazii [The burial rite of the early nomads of Eurasia]. Rostov-on-Don, 88–104.

Herzfeld, E. 1947: Zoroaster and his world. Princeton.

Khismatulin, A.A., Kryukova, V.Yu. 1997: Smert’ i pokhoronnyy obryad v islame i zoroastrizme [Death and funeral rite in Islam and Zoroastrianism]. Saint Petersburg.

Khodzhayov, T.K. 1977: Antropologicheskiy sostav naseleniya epokhi bronzy Sapallitepa [Anthropological composition of the population of the bronze age Sapallitepa]. Tashkent.

Khodzhayov T.K. 1980: K paleoantropologii drevnego Uzbekistana [The paleoanthropology of ancient Uzbekistan]. Tashkent.

Humbah, H. 1961: Bestattunsformen in Vidêvdāt. Zeitschrift für vergleichende Sprachforschung 77, 100–101.

Inostrantsev, K.A. 1909: O drevneiranskikh pogrebal’nykh obychayakh i postroykakh [On the ancient Iranian burial customs and buildings]. Zhurnal ministerstva narodnogo prosveshcheniya. Novaya seriya [Journal of the Ministry of national education. New series] XX, 95–121.

Isakov, A.I. 1991: Sarazm. (K voprosu stanovleniya rannezemledel’cheskoy kul’tury Zerafshanskoy doliny (raskopki 1977–1983 gg.)) [Sarazm. (To the question of the formation of the early agricultural culture of Zerafshan valley (excavations of 1977-1983 gg.))]. Dushanbe.

Ivanitskiy, I.D. 1992: Zoroastriyskiy pogrebal’nyy obryad Samarkandskogo Sogda [A Zoroastrian funerary rite of the Samarkand Sogd]. In.: Yu.F. Buryakov (ed.), Mezhdunarodnaya konferentsiya «Srednyaya Aziya i mirovaya tsivilizatsiya» [International conference «Central Asia and the world civilization»]. Thesis. Tashkent, 55–57.

Koshelenko, G.A. (ed.) 1985: Drevneyshie gosudarstva Kavkaza i Sredney Azii [Ancient States of the Caucasus and Central Asia]. Seriya Arkheologiya SSSR s drevneyshikh vremen do srednevekov’ya [Series of the archaeology of USSR from ancient times to the middle ages]. Moscow.

Kozenkova, V.I. 1961: K voprosu o khumakh s zakhoroneniyami kostey na territorii Sredney Azii [The issue of hum with the burial of the bones in the territory of Central Asia]. Sovetskaya arkheologiya [Soviet archaeology] 3, 251–260.

Kruglikova, I.T., Pugachenkova, G.A. 1977: Dil’berdzhin (raskopki 1970-1973 gg.) [Dillberjin (excavations 1970–1973)]. Vol. 2. Moscow.

Kryukova, V.Yu. (transl. from avest. and commentary) 1994: Avesta. Videvdat. Fragard trinadcatyy [Avesta. Videvdat. Fragard 13]. Vostok [East] 2, 151–157.

Kuzmina, E.E. 1986: Drevneyshie skotovody ot Urala do Tyan’-Shanya [A most ancient cattlebreeders from the Urals to the Tian Shan]. Frunze.

Lelekov, L.A. 1992: Avesta v sovremennoy nauke [Avesta in modern science]. Moscow.

Litvinskiy, B.A. 1983: Pogrebal’nye sooruzheniya i pogrebal’naya praktika v Parfi i (k voprosu o parfyano-baktriyskikh sootvetstviyakh) [Burial construction and funerary practice in Parthia (on Parthian-Bactrian correspondence)]. In.: B.A. Litvinskiy (ed.), Srednyaya Aziya, Kavkaz i zarubezhnyy Vostok v drevnosti [Central Asia, the Caucasus and foreign East in ancient times]. Moscow, 81–123.

Litvinskiy, B.A., Sedov, A.V. 1984: Kul’ty i ritualy kushanskoy Baktrii [Cults and rituals of Kushan Bactria]. Moscow.

Mandelshtam, A.M. 1968: Pamyatniki epokhi bronzy v Yuzhnom Tadzhikistane [Sites of the bronze age in southern Tajikistan]. Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii SSSR [Materials and researches on archeology of the USSR] 145. Leningrad.

Masson, V.M. 1959: Drevnezemledel’cheskaya kul’tura Margiany [Ancient agricultural culture of Margiana]. Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii SSSR [Materials and researches on archeology of the USSR] 73. Moscow.

Masson, V.M. 1974: Raskopki pogrebal’nogo kompleksa na Altyn-depe [Excavation of the burial complex at Altyn-Depe]. Sovetskaya arkheologiya [Soviet archaeology] 4, 3–22.

Meytarchiyan, M.B. 2001: Pogrebal’nye obryady zoroastriytsev [Funeral rites of the Zoroastrians]. Moscow – Saint-Petersburg.

Modi, J.J. 1905: The funeral ceremonies of the Parses, their Origin and Explanations. Bombay.

Negmatov, N.N., Belyaeva, T.V., Mirbabaev, A.K. 1982: K otkrytiyu goroda epokhi pozdney bronzy i rannego zheleza Nurtepa [Opening of the city of the late bronze age and early iron age Nurtepe. In.: N.N. Negmatov, V.A. Ranov (eds.), Kul’tura pervobytnoy epokhi Tadzhikistana [The culture of the primitive age in Tajikistan]. Dushanbe, 89–111.

Plakhov, K.N., Plakhova, A.S. Istoriya sobakovodstva yugo-zapadnoy Azii [History of the dog breeding in South-West Asia], http://rus-katana-dogs.narod.ru/poroda/pg13.html

Pugachenkova, G.A. 1987: Iz khudozhestvennoy sokrovishchnitsy Srednego Vostoka [From the artistic treasures of the Middle East]. Moscow.

Pyankov, I.V. 2005: O pogrebal’nom obryade baktriytsev [About the funeral rites of the Bactrians]. In.: V.P. Nikanorov (ed.), Tsentral’naya Aziya ot Akhemenidov do Timuridov. Arkheologiya, istoriya, etnologiya, kul’tura [Central Asia from the Achaemenids to the Timurids. Archaeology, history, ethnology, culture]. Saint Petersburg, 360–364.

Rapoport, Y.A. 1963: Some aspects of the evolution of zoroastrian funeral rites (according to archaeological fi nds). In.: B.G. Gafurov (ed.), Trudy XXV mezhdunarodnogo kongressa vostokovedov [Essays of the 25 international congress of orientalists]. Vol. III. Moscow, 127–134.

Rapoport, Yu.A. 1971: Iz istorii religii drevnego Khorezma [From the history of the religion of ancient Khorezm]. Moscow.

Rapoport, Yu.A. 1991: Religiya drevnego Khorezma [Religion of ancient Khorezm]. Research report submitted as a thesis for the degree of doctor of historical sciences. Moscow.

Rtveladze, E.V. 1987: Les edifi ces Funeraires de la Bactriane serpentrionale et leur rapport au zoroastrisme [Funerary constructions of Bactria and their relation to Zoroastrianism]. In: F. Grenet (ed.), Cultes et monuments religieux dans l’Asie centrale preislamique. Paris, 29–41.

Rtveladze, E.V. 1988: Drevnyaya Baktriya – Srednevekovyy Tokharistan. Dinamika istorikokul’turnogo razvitiya (po materialam amudar’inskogo pravoberezh’ya) [The Ancient Bactria – Medieval Tokharistan. The dynamics of the historical and cultural development (on materials of Amu Darya right bank)]. PhDD Thesis. Moscow.

Rtveladze, E.V. 1989: Pogrebal’nye sooruzheniya i obryad v Severnom Tokharistane [Burial structures and the rite in Northern Tokharistan]. In.: G.A. Pugachenkova (ed.), Antichnye i rannesrednevekovye drevnosti Yuzhnogo Uzbekistana [Ancient and early medieval antiquities of southern Uzbekistan]. Tashkent, 53–72.

Rtveladze, E.V., Pidaev, Sh.R. 1993: Drevnebaktriyskaya krepost’ Talashkan-tepe I [Ancient bactrian fortress Talashkan-Tepe I]. Rossiyskaya arkheologiya [Russian archaeology] 2,133–147.

Rtveladze, E.V., Saidov, A.H., Abdullaev, E.V. (adapted from the translation, study and commentary) 2008: Avesta. «Zakon protiv dekhvov» (Videvdat) [Avesta. «The law against the Devas» (Videvdat)]. Saint Petersburg.

Sagdullaev, A.S. 1987: Usad’by drevney Baktrii [Manors of ancient Bactria]. Tashkent.

Sagdullaev, A.S. 1990: K izucheniyu kul’tovykh i pogrebal’nykh obryadov Sredney Azii epokhi rannego zheleza [The study of religious and funeral rites of the early iron age of Central Asia]. In.: Z.I. Usmanova (ed.), Drevnyaya i srednevekovaya arkheologiya Sredney Azii (K probleme istorii kul’tury) [Ancient and medieval archaeology of Central Asia (To the problem of cultural history)]. Tashkent, 29–38.

Sarianidi, V.I. 1989: Khram i nekropol’ Tillyatepe [The Temple and the necropolis of Tillyatepe]. Moscow.

Sarianidi, V.I. 2001: Nekropol’ Gonura i iranskoe yazychestvo [Necropolis of the Gonur and Iranian paganism]. Moscow.

Sarianidi, V.I. 2010: Zadolgo do Zaratushtry (Arkheologicheskie dokazatel’stva protozoroastrizma v Baktrii i Margiane) [Long before Zarathustra (Archaeological evidence of protozoroastrianism in Bactria and Margiana)]. Moscow.

Shaydullaev, Sh.B. 2000: Severnaya Baktriya v epokhu rannego zheleznogo veka [Northern Bactria in the Early Iron Age]. Tashkent.

Shirinov, T.Sh. 2000: Srednyaya Aziya vo II tysyacheletii do nashey ery i protozoroastrizm [Central Asia in the II Millennium BC and protozoroastrianism]. Istoriya material’noy kul’tury Uzbekistana [History of material culture of Uzbekistan] 31, 35–48.

Shishkina, G.V. 1969: Materialy pervykh vekov do n.e. iz raskopok na severo-zapade Afrasiaba [Materials of the fi rst centuries BC from excavations in the North-West of Afrasiab]. In.: Ya.G. Gulyamov (ed.), Afrasiab. Vol. 1. Tashkent, 221–246.

Shkoda, V.G. 2009: Pendzhikentskie khramy i problemy religii Sogda (V–VIII veka) [The temples of Penjikent and the problems of religion of Sogdiana (5–8th century)]. Saint-Petersburg.

Shkoda, V.G. 2009: Pogrebal’nyy obryad zoroastriytsev [Funeral ceremony of the Zoroastrians]. Mitra [Mitre] 10 (14), http://zoroastrian.ru/node/1344/

Snesarev, G.P. 1963: Mazdeistskaya traditsiya v pogrebal’nom obryade narodov Sredney Azii [Mazdenian tradition in the burial rites of the peoples of Central Asia]. In.: B.G. Gafurov (ed.), Trudy XXV mezhdunarodnogo kongressa vostokovedov [Essays of the 25 international congress of orientalists]. Vol. III. Moscow, 134–140.

Sprishevskiy, V.I. 1957: Raskopki Chustskogo poseleniya epokhi bronzy v 1955 g [Excavations of the Chust settlement of the bronze age in 1955]. Izvestiya AN SSSR. Seriya obshchestvennykh nauk [News of Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Series of social sciences] I, 65–72.

Suleymanov, R.H. 2000: Drevniy Nahskhab (Problemy tsivilizatsii Uzbekistana VII v. do n.e. – VII v. n.e.) [Ancient Nakhshab (Problem of civilization of Uzbekistan in 7th century BC – 7th century AD)]. Samarkand–Tashkent.

Sverchkov, L.M., Boroffka, N. 2007: Arkheologicheskie issledovaniya v Bandykhane v 2005 g. [Archaeological research of Bandikhan in 2005]. Trudy Baysunskoy nauchnoy ekspeditsii [Essays of the Baysun scientifi c expedition] 3, 97–132.

Tairov, A.D. 2005: Rannie kochevniki uralo-kazahstanskih stepej v VII-II vv. do n.e. [The early nomads of Ural-Kazakhstan steppes in 7–2th centuries BC]. PhDD Thesis. Moscow.

Teufer, M. 2013: Vom Grab als Totenhaus zum «Haus des Lobliedes» im jenseits. Überlegungen zum Aufkommen des Zoroastrismus aus archäologischer Sicht [From the grave as house of the dead to «the house of the Lobliedes» in the afterlife. Considerations for the advent of Zoroastrianism from an archaeological point of view]. In: G. Lindström G., Hansen S., Wieczorek A., Tellenbach M. (eds.), Zwischen Ost und West Neue Forschungen zum antiken Zentralasien. Archäologie in Iran und Turan 14,1–41.

Vaynberg, B.I. 1979: Pamyatniki Kuyusayskoy kul’tury. Kochevniki na granicakh Khorezma [The sites of Kuyusay culture. Nomads on the borders of Khorezm]. Moscow, 7–76.

Vishnevskaya, O.A., Rapoport, Yu.A. 1997: Gorodishche Kyuzeli-gyr. K voprosu o rannem etape istorii Khorezma [The Kiuzeli-Gyr settlement. To the question on the early history of Khorezm]. Vestnik drevney istorii [Journal of Ancient History] 2, 150–173.

Vorobeva, M.G. 1973: Dingil’dzhe. Usad’ba serediny I tysyacheletiya do n.e. v drevnem Khorezme [Dingildje. Manor of the middle of the Ist millennium BC in the ancient Khorezm]. Moscow.

Yablonskiy, L.T. 1996: Saki Yuzhnogo Priaral’ya (arkheologiya i antropologiya mogil’nikov) [Saki the southern Aral Sea area (the archaeology and anthropology of the cemeteries)]. Moscow.

Zadneprovskiy, Yu.A. 1962: Drevnezemledel’cheskaya kul’tura Fergany [Ancient agricultural culture of Fergana]. Materialy i issledovaniya po arkheologii SSSR [Materials and researches on archeology of the USSR] 118. Moscow– Leningrad.

Zadneprovskiy, Yu.A., Matbabaev, B.H. 1984: Osnovnye itogi izucheniya Chustskogo poseleniya v Fergane (1950–1982 gg.) [Main results of the study of the settlement of Chust in Fergana (1950-1982.)]. Istoriya material’noy kul’tury Uzbekistana [History of material culture of Uzbekistan] 19. Tashkent, 46–71.

Zezenkova, V.Ya. 1959: Kraniologicheskie materialy s territorii drevnego i srednevekovogo Merva [The craniological materials from the territory of ancient and medieval Merv]. Trudy Yuzhno-Turkmenistanskoy arkheologicheskoy kompleksnoy ehkspeditsii [Essays of South Turkmenistan archeological complex expedition] IX, 107–131.