download PDF

Abstract

The article discusses the issue of assessing the productivity of cereal in the main areas of the Bosporan Kingdom. The most appropriate benchmark for such assessments is the recognized crop yields obtained by local farmers. A good example here is large Russian pre-revolutionary agriculture statistics on the yield of cereals. This data allowed restoring the yields of the three main crops (winter and spring wheat, barley) for 1870-1915 in the Eastern Crimea (European Bosporus) and the lower reaches of Kuban (Asian Bosporus). The analysis of indicated series of productivity made it possible to propose more reliable quantitative estimates of yields for the classical time.

Keywords

Bosporan Kingdom, European Bosporus, Asian Bosporus, agriculture, crop yield, agricultural statistics

Gennady P. Garbuzov

Federal Research Centre, Southern Scientifi c Centre of RAS, Rostov-on-Don, Russia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Benenson, M.E. (ed.) 1910: Selskokhozyaystvenny obzor Tavricheskoy gubernii za 1909 god [Agricultural review of the Taurida Gubernia in 1909]. Simferopol.

Benenson, M.E. (ed.) 1911: Selskokhozyaystvenny obzor Tavricheskoy gubernii za desyatiletiye 1899–1908 gg. po dannym tekushchey statistiki [Agricultural review of the Taurida Gubernia in 1899–1908 according to current statistics]. Simferopol.

Benenson, M.E. 1919: Ekonomicheskiye ocherki Kryma [Economic essays on the Crimea]. Simferopol’.

Bleklov, S.M. (ed.) 1900: Selskokhozyaystvenny obzor Tavricheskoy gubernii za 1899 god [Agricultural review of the Tauride Gubernia in 1899]. Simferopol.

Ershov, G.G. 1875: Svedeniya o poseve i sbore khlebov i kartofelya v 1870–1872 godakh i o chislennosti skota v 1870 godu v Yevropeyskoy Rossii [Information on sowing and collecting grain and potatoes in 1870–1872 and the number of livestock in 1870 in European Russia]. In: L. Karachunskiy (ed.), Statisticheskiy vremennik Rossyskoy imperii [The Statistical chronicle of the Russian Empire]. II (10). Saint Petersburg, 1–87.

Gorodetsky, B.M. 1912: Krestyanskoye zemlevladeniye i zemleustroitelnye raboty v Tamanskom otdele Kubanskoy oblasti [Peasant land ownership and land management in the Taman department of the Kuban region]. In: L.T. Sokolov (red.), Kubansky sbornik [Kuban Collection]. XVII. Yekaterinodar, 289–370.

Ivantsov, D.N. 1915: K kritike russkoy urozhaynoy statistiki. Opyt analiza nekotorykh ofi tsialnykh i zemskikh tekushchikh dannykh [To criticism of Russian harvest statistics. The experience of analyzing some offi cial and local current data]. Petrograd.

Kutaysov, V.A. 2001: Ob urozhaynosti osnovnykh zernovykh kultur v Severnom Prichernomor’e [About productivity of the basic grain crops in Northern Black Sea Coast]. Bosporsky fenomen [The Bosporus phenomenon] 2, 255–260.

Kutaysov, V.A. 2002: Problemy agrarnoy istorii Severnogo Prichernomor’ya [Problems of agrarian history of the Northern Black Sea Region]. Problemy istorii, filologii, kultury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies] XII, 291–307.

Kuznetsov, I.A. 2012: Russkaya urozhaynaya statistika 1883–1915 gg.: istochnik v kontekste is-toriografi i [Russian harvest statistics 1883–1915: source in the context of historiography]. Ekonomicheskaya istoriya: Yezhegodnik [Economic History: Yearbook] 2011/2012, 190–228.

Land, F.F. 1876: Taman’ [Taman]. In: E.D. Felitsin (red.), Pamyatnaya knizhka Kubanskoy oblasti na 1876 god [Memorable book of the Kuban region for 1876]. Yekaterinodar, 47–95.

Land, F.F. 1891: Klimaticheskiye nablyudeniya v gorode Temryuk [Climatic observations in Temryuk]. In: E.D. Felitsin (red.), Kubansky sbornik [Kuban collection] II. Yekaterinodar, 1–166.

Obolensky, V.V. 1915: Urozhai khlebov v yuzhnoy Rossii (1889–1912 gg.) [Yields of grain in Southern Russia (1889–1912)]. Kharkov.

Odrin, A.V. 2005: Nekotorye voprosy ekologicheskoy adaptatsii khozyaystva grecheskikh kolonistov k usloviyam Severnogo Prichernomor’ya [Some issues of ecological adaptation of the economy of the Greek colonists to the conditions of the Northern Black Sea Coast]. In: V.N. Zinko (ed.), The Bosporus Cimmerian and the barbarian world during the epoch of the Antiquity and the Middle Ages. Interaction of cultures (Bosporan Readings VI). Kerch, 224–228.

Pallas, P.S. 1999: Nablyudeniya, sdelannye vo vremya puteshestviya po yuzhnym namestnichestvam Russkogo gosudarstva v 1793–1794 godakh [Observations made during a trip to the southern governorship of the Russian state in 1793–1794]. Moscow.

Ruschenbusch, E. 1988: Getreideerträge in Griechenland in der Zeit von 1921 bis 1938 n. Chr. als Maßstab für die Antike. Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 72, 141–153.

Serafinovich, I. 1876: Obzor proizvoditelnosti byvshey Chernomorii Kubanskoy oblasti [Overview of the productivity of the former Chernomoriya of the Kuban region]. In: Pamyatnaya knizhka Kubanskoy oblasti na 1876 god [Memorable book of the Kuban region for 1876]. Yekaterinodar, 3–46.

Timonin, M. 1900: Polevoye khozyaystvo v severo-zapadnoy chasti Kubanskoy oblasti (byvshaya Chernomoriya) [Field farming in the north-western part of the Kuban region (former Chernomoriye)]. Tifl is.

Verner, K.A. (ed.) 1886: Sbornik statisticheskikh svedeny po Tavricheskoy gubernii [Collection of statistical data on the Taurida Gubernia]. III. Simferopol’.

Vinogradova, N.M. 1925: Russkaya urozhaynaya statistika [Russian harvest statistics]. Vestnik statistiki [Herald of Statistics] XXIII (10–12), 29–84.

Vinogradova, N.M. 1926: Russkaya urozhaynaya statistika (prodolzheniye) [Russian harvest statistics (continued)]. Vestnik statistiki [Herald of Statistics] XXIV (1–6), 51–104.

Yanson, Yu.E. 1870: Krym, ego khlebopashestvo i khlebnaya torgovlya [Crimea, its arable farming and grain trade]. Saint Petersburg.

Zhukovsky, P.M. 1933: Zemledelcheskaya Turtsiya (Aziatskaya chast – Anatoliya) [Agricultural Turkey (Asian part – Anatolia)]. Moscow–Leningrad.