download PDF

Abstract

The article considers the issues related to the genesis of the stone cathedrals of Medieval Norway by an example of St. Swithun Cathedral of Stavanger. The publication reconstructs the stage of cathedral building and identifi es the connection between the Norwegian monuments and foreign architectural schools. Moreover the author defi nes the foreign architectural samples followed by Norwegian builders. The article identifi es a number of regions of this infl uence. In the article a considerable attention is paid to the study of the English architectural school and its outstanding examples, such as cathedrals in Ely, Lincoln, Winchester and etc. The author carries out a thorough stylistic analysis of the architectural elements identifying a relationship with other regional schools, such as Lombard school. An attempt to explain the way the Italian architecture impacted on the Norwegian Cathedral is made. The author reveals an intermediary between them. Lund Cathedral was an infl uence source. It was built by Lombard architects Donatus and Regnerus. In addition the researcher raises a question related to specifi c features of the Stavanger Cathedral. They include diaphragm arches in the aisles, the design of the Eastern façade, the design of the capitals of the central arcade, chancel arch and the present of the fi gurative images in the bases of the columns of the Cathedral. The signifi cance of the architecture of the Benedictine Order in the development of cathedrals in Western Norway is also determinated. The analysis of the building history and architectural features of the Cathedral of Stavanger allows to distinguish it among European architectural monuments of the 12th – 14th centuries.

Keywords

Scandinavian art, cathedrals, Medieval Norway, St. Swithun Cathedral of Stavanger

Kseniya E. Chemezova

Saint-Petersburg State University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Abrahamsen, H. 1959: Building in Norway. An architectural outline. Oslo.

Bony, J. 1979: English Gothic Decorated Style. Gothic architecture transformed 1250-1350. Ithaca–New York.

Bruland, I. 1999: Stavanger Cathedral: a unique national religious monument. Stavanger.

Clapham, A. 1930: English Romanesque architecture after the Conquest. Oxford.

Djupedal, T. 1996: Selja: kulturhistorisk hanbok. Selja.

Donnelly, M. C. 1992: Architecture in the Scandinavian Countries. Cambridge.

Ekroll, Ø. 2000: Kirker i Norge. Middelalder I stein. Bd. 1. Oslo.

Fischer, G. 1964: Domkirken i Stavanger. Kirkebygget i middelalderen. Oslo.

Hahr, A. 1938: Architecture in Sweden. Stockholm.

Hohler, C. 1964: The Cathedral of St. Swithun at Stavanger in the Twelfth Century. Journal British Archaeological Association 27, 92–118.

Kalvi, G. 1958: Norwegian Architecture, past and present. Oslo.

Liden, H.-E. 2000: Mariakirken i Bergen. Mangschou–Oslo.

Liepe, L. 2001: Medieval stone churches of Northern Norway. The interpretation of architecture as a historical process. Tromsø.