download PDF

Abstract

The article deals with modern research concepts «metalanguage», «metatext» and «refl exive». Two main approaches to the researching of metalanguage in Russian linguistics have been outlined. The fi rst one is connected with the conception of metatext used mainly in the analyses of fi ction and scientifi c texts. The second one appeals to the idea of language refl exion and is mostly focused on journalism.

The analysis results show that, in contrast to the multivalued term «metatext», used by a variety of philological disciplines, the metalanguage is terminated quite simple: it is a secondorder language, which describes the primary language or the language-object. There are two points of view on their correlation: (1) language-object is described in the same language with the help of metalanguage of logic; (2) metalanguage is strongly opposed to the language-object.

Unlike the metatext, metalanguage is always caused by language refl ection and embodied in refl exives. The refl exive is a metalanguage utterance commenting on the used word or expression. The conception of the refl exive acquires additional semantic nuances in various discourses: in political discourse, the refl exive is described as any act of metalanguage commentation of speech acts; in journalism – the refl exive is a construction containing an evaluation of the speech activity of a speaker; in fi ction, the refl exive clarifi es the meanings of the word and expresses the evaluation.

The reflexives have various grounds for classifi cation. From the viewpoint of textual realization, the reflexives are divided into the text-refl exive, the reflexive within the text and the range of interrelated utterances. Furthermore, the reflexives are classified into communicative and conceptual, primary and secondary, explicit and implicit.

Keywords

Metalanguage, metatext, language refl exion, metalanguage consciousness, language-objects, metatext operator, refl exive, metalanguage utterance

Evgeniy B. Ivannikov

The Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Andrusenko, E.A. 2011: Funkcii metateksta v hudozhestvennom tekste (na materiale proizvedeniy V. Astaf’eva). Sibirskiy fi lologicheskiy zhurnal 1, 89–94.

Ahmanova, O.S. 1966: Slovar’ lingvisticheskih terminov. Moscow.

Balahonskaya, L.V. 2010: Yazyk reklamnyh tekstov kak obyekt refl eksii tvorcheskoy lichnosti. Izvestiya Rossiyskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta im. A.I. Gertsena 137, 41–51.

Beloedova, A.V. 2014: Zhurnalistskiy tekst na shkale bezuslovnoy i problemnoy dostovernosti. Nauchnye vedomosti Belgorodskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Gumanitarnye nauki 6 (177). T. 21, 141–146.

Borbot’ko, V.G. 2007: Yazykovaya refl eksiya v metayazyke lingvistiki. Lingvoritoricheskaya paradigma: teoreticheskie i prikladnye aspekty 10, 18–26.

Burov, A.A. 2010: Problema metateksta v sovremennoy lingvistike, https://pglu.ru/upload/ iblock/f61/uch_2010_vii_00003.pdf

Chernyak, V.D. (eds.) 2004: Russkiy yazyk i kul’tura rechi. Saint-Petersburg–Moscow.

Efremov, V.A. 2014: O novyh formah naivnoy lingvistiki v epohu interneta. Antropologicheskiy forum 21, 74–81.

Ivanov, N.V. 2007: Intertekst – metatekst: kul’tura, diskurs, yazyk. Yazykovye konteksty: struktura, kommunikatsiya, diskurs. Materialy mezhvuzovskoy nauchnoy konferentsii po aktual’nym problemam yazyka i kommunikatsii. M., 43–50.

Kobozeva, I.M. 2000: Lingvisticheskaya semantika. Moscow.

Krongauz, M.A. 2005: Semantika. Moscow.

Lesnikov, S.V. 2011: Tipologiya russkih slovarey lingvisticheskoy terminologii. Mir nauki, kul’tury, obrazovaniya 6 (31), 6–10.

Mokrova, N.I., Pozdnyakova, S.Yu. 2014: Metatekst v pesnyah na kyel’nskom dialekte kak vyrazhenie yazykovogo soznaniya dialektonositelya. Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta 1 (84), 230–233.

Paducheva, E.V. 1996 Yazyk. Kul’tura. Poznanie. Moscow.

Pavlova, A.V. 2011: Fundamental’nye edinicy metayazyka sovremennoy lingvistiki. Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta 7, 262–269.

Reprintseva, M.A. 2014: Ponyatie metayazyka i ego traktovki. Vestnik Tverskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya «Filologiya» 2, 232–237.

Rezanova, Z.I. 2008: Vnutrennyaya forma slova kak ob’’ekt metayazykovoy refl eksii. Yazyk i kul’tura 1, 78-85.

Sal’man, E.A. 2009: Avtorskaya refl eksiya kak znak osvoeniya novyh yavleniy v leksike (na materiale publitsistiki M.A. Bulgakova 1920-h godov). Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Seriya 9. Filologiya. Vostokovedenie. Zhurnalistika 4, 133–139.

Savitskaya, L.S. 2009: O priyeme zachyerkivaniya kak sredstve metakategorial’noy organizatsii modusnoy perspektivy vyskazyvaniya (na materiale internet-dnevnikov). Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo 6 (2), 346–349.

Shaymiev, V.A. 2012: Tak metatekst ili metadiskurs? Vestnik Bashkirskogo universiteta 1, T. 17, 563–565.

Sheygal, E.I. 2005: Semiotika politicheskogo diskursa: dis. ... d-ra fi lol. nauk. Moscow.

Shmelyeva, T.V. 1994: Semanticheskiy sintaksis. Krasnoyarsk.

Son, L.P. 2012: Lingvisticheskiy status yazyka internet-kommunikatsii. Vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: lingvistika i mezhkul’turnaya kommunikatsiya 2, 49–56.

Trushkova, L.O. 2011: Metayazyk analiza yazykovoy i konceptual’noy struktury emotsional’nyh konceptov. Problemy social’no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya Sibiri 3, 114–119.

Vepreva, I.T. 2003: Metayazykovaya refl eksiya v funktsional’no-tipologicheskom osveshchenii: dis. ... d-ra fi lol. nauk. Ekaterinburg.

Vepreva, I.T. 2005: Yazykovaya refl eksiya v postsovetskuyu epohu. Moscow.

Vezhbitska A. 1978: Metatekst v tekste. Novoe v zarubezhnoy lingvistike. Vyp. VIII. M., 402–421.

Zalevskaya, A.A. 2015: «Refl eksiya» i «yazykovoe soznanie»: voprosy terminologii. Vestnik Tverskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya «Filologiya» 4, 29–36.