download PDF

Abstract

This article is the result of a study investigating the philosophy of happiness in poetry, social and political essays and in “The Letters of a Russian Traveller” by N.M. Karamzin. The research concentrates on the main stages in the development of Karamzin’s concept of happiness and its peculiarities connected with genre specifi cities of literary works. Karamzin formulated the basic ideas of the concept of happiness under the infl uence of masonic philosophy and preromantic poetry while living in Moscow in the 1780s. Earthly happiness is considered as a shadow of true celestial bliss. After breaking up with masons and going abroad Karamzin in “The Letters of a Russian Traveller” (1791–1792) offers readers a variety of viewpoints on happiness. These points of view cannot be arranged in a strict system: the author narrates a story in a manner which makes it absolutely open for a reader’s perception, i.e. profound philosophic reasoning is counterbalanced with author’s irony and naïve stories of everyday life about happiness. In his philosophic and journalistic essay “About the Happiest Time in Life” (1803) Karamzin strenuously argues with ancient and contemporary philosophers over happiness, proving that it cannot exist on the earth and catching philosophers in a deception. Karamzin’s philosophy of happiness is based on a synthesis of ancient and European conceptions of the Age of the Enlightenment. The main tenet underpinning his philosophy is the concept of ethic origin, yet true happiness and bliss are left for heaven.

Keywords

The Enlightenment, Karamzin, “The Letters of a Russian Traveller”, masonry, the philosophy of happiness, earthly happiness

Tatiana E. Abramzon

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alpatova, T.A. 2012: Proza N.M. Karamzina: poetika povestvovaniya. Moscow.

Barskov, Ja.L. 1915: Perepiska moskovskih masonov XVIII veka. 1780–1790. Petrograd.

Barskov, Ja.L. 1915: Perepiska moskovskih masonov XVIII veka. 1780–1790. Petrograd.

Efremova, E.V. 1999: Stihotvornoe nasledie Nikolaya Mihaylovicha Karamzina. Problemy poetiki i verifikacii: diss. na sois. uch. st. kand. fi lol. n. Moscow.

Karamzin, N.M. 1984: Pis’ma russkogo puteshestvennika. Leningrad.

Kavanagh, T. 1996: Esthetics of the Moment: Literature and Art in the French Enlightenment. Philadelphia.

Kavanagh, T., Norton, B.M. 1996: Fiction and the Philosophy of Happiness: Ethical Inquiries in the Age of Enlightenment (Transits: Literature, Thought & Culture, 1650-1850). Lewisburg.

Kochetkova, N.D. 1994: Literatura russkogo sentimentalizma. Saint-Petersburg.

Levin, Ju.D. 1990: Anglijskaja pojezija i literatura russkogo sentimentalizma. Vospriyatie angliyskoy literatury v Rossii. Leningrad.

Lotman, Ju.M. 1969: Russo i russkaya kul’tura XVIII-nachala XIX veka In: Russo Zh.-Zh. Traktaty. M., 562–563, 582–583.

Maslova, A.G. 2012: Poeticheskoe tvorchestvo N.M. Karamzina v kontekste masonskoy poezii XVIII veka. Vestnik KGU im. N.A. Nekrasova 4 (18), 128–131.

Mauzi, R. 1960: L’idee du bonheur au XVIIIe siècle. Paris.

Neizdannyya sochineniya i perepiska Nikolaya Mihaylovicha Karamzina. 1862. Saint- Petersburg.

Potkay, A. 2000: The Passion for Happiness: Samuel Jonson and David Hume. Ithaca.

Potkay, A. 2010: Narrative Possibilities of Happiness, Unhappiness, and Joy. Social Research 77, 2, 523–544.

Russo, Zh.-Zh. 1961: Izbrannye sochineniya: v 3 t. T 1. Moscow.

Saharov, V.I. 2000: N.M. Karamzin i vol’nye kamenshhiki. In: V.I. Saharov (red.), Masonstvo i russkaya literatura XVIII vv. M., 144–156.

Sapchenko, L.A. 2004: «Vremena goda» Dzh. Tomsona i «O schastliveyshem vremeni zhizni» N. Karamzina. In: T.N. Pahsarjan (red.), XVIII vek: iskusstvo zhit’ i zhizn’ iskusstva. M., 303–315.

Shaytanov, I.O. 1989: Myslyashhaya muza. Moscow.

Sipovskiy, V.V. 1899: H. M. Karamzin, avtor «Pisem russkogo puteshestvennika». Saint- Petersburg.

Smirnov, A. 2004: Koncept schast’ya v publicistike N. Karamzina In: T.N. Pahsaryan (red.), XVIII vek: iskusstvo zhit’ i zhizn’ iskusstva. M., 370–379.

Tihonravov, N.S. 1862: Chetyre goda iz zhizni Karamzina. Russkiy vestnik 4 (38), 471.

Zaborov, P.R. 1964: «Nochnye razmyshleniya» Junga v rannih russkih perevodah. Russkaya literatura XVIII veka. Jepoha klassicizma 6, 269–279.