download PDF

Abstract

The article considers the value of ethnographic perspective in the scientifi c work of major Russian archaeologist N. N. Dikov. The author demonstrates that the key place in his studies was taken by a vision of the historical phenomena as ethnic and ethno-genetic processes. He considered the archaeological site opened in the Far North-East, in ethnic coordinates, believing such binding an obligatory element of the historical reading of archaeological antiquities. The ethnogenetic model created by Dikov refl ected two main theoretical postulates: indigenism and migrationism. Indigenism laid in the fact that modern (“ethnographic”) people have historical roots which can be traced back on the archaeological material. Migrationism suggests that the most ancient archaeological material must be related to the ancestors of the ethnic groups that had settled in America. Considerable attention in Dikov’s research perspective was paid to the problem of settling of America. The nature of ethnically oriented Dikov`s episteme followed from conceptual reconstruction, which was based on the stages of the settlement of the American continent. In the years of perestroika Dikov evolved an ethnic periodization of mankind history, which is a development of the classical theory of socio-economic formations. Dikov identifi ed seven types of ethnic groups; each one has a certain correlation of form and content. Further, in ethnic processes he determined evolutionary and revolutionary segments, which are also associated with mutational impetus (by Lev Gumilev). In conclusion, he connected the ethnic periodization and a typology of ethnic structures with historical periods, including archeology. This Dikov`s concept is an example of the total history, which reduces the social differences to a single form and indicates the general way of development.

Keywords

N.N. Dikov, Far North-East, archaeological culture, ethnic interpretation, ethnically oriented discourse, ethnic periodization

Lyudmila N. Khakhovskaya

North-East Interdisciplinary Scientifi c Research Institute n. a. N. A. Shilo, Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (NEISRI FEB RAS), Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dikov, N.N. 1967: O zadachah istoricheskih issledovaniy na Severe Dal’nego Vostoka SSSR. In: A.I. Krushanov (ed.), Istoriya i kul’tura narodov Severa Dal’nego Vostoka. Moskow, 4–14.

Dikov, N.N. 1971: Drevnie kul’tury Kamchatki i Chukotki: avtoref… d-ra ist. nauk. Novosibirsk.

Dikov, N.N. (ed.) 1974: Ocherki istorii Chukotki s drevneishih vremen do nashih dney. Novosibirsk.

Dikov, N.N. 1976: O nekotoryh obshchih printsipah arheologicheskoy periodizatsii. In: N.N. Dikov (ed.), Ekonomicheskie i istoricheskie issledovaniya na Severo-Vostoke SSSR. Magadan, 218–224.

Dikov, N.N. 1983: Obshchie printsipy dialekticheskoy periodizatsii (na primere razvitiya chelovechestva). Voprosy fi losofi i 4, 116–126.

Dikov, N.N. 1987: K voprosu o printsipah dialekticheskoy periodizatsii istorii kul’tury. In: M.P. Kim, B.B. Piotrovskiy (ed.), Sovetskaya kul’tura: 70 let razvitiya. Mosсow, 20–31.

Dikov, N.N. (ed). 1989a: Istoriya Chukotki s drevneishih vremen do nashih dney. Mosсow.

Dikov, N.N. 1989b: Dialekticheskaya periodizatsiya istorii sovetskogo obshchestva. Obshchestvennye nauki 2, 160–176.

Dikov, N.N. 1993: Aziya na styke s Amerikoy v drevnosti: Kamennyy vek Chukotskogo poluostrova. Saint-Petersburg.

Dikov, N.N. 1994: Etnicheskaya istoriya chelovechestva: Novyy kontseptual’nyy podhod k periodizatsii. Vestnik DVO RAN 1, 65–71.

Goebel, T., Waters, M., Dikova, M. 2003: The archaeology of Ushki Lake, Kamchatka, and the Pleistocene Peopling of the Americas. Sience 301, 501–506.

Goryachev, N.A., Kokorev, E.M., Mumortsev, Yu.I. (ed.) 2005: Severnaya Patsifi ka – kul’turnye adaptatsii v kontse pleystotsena i golotsena. Materialy mezhdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferentsii «Po sledam drevnih kostrov». Magadan.

Hahovskaya, L.N. 2014: Bitva za narody: etnogeneticheskie problemy v arheologicheskom diskurse. In: V.N. Davydov, D.V. Arziutov (ed.), Sibirskiy sbornik–4. Grani sotsial’nogo: Antropologicheskie perspektivy issledovaniya sotsial’nyh otnosheniy i kul’tury. Saint-Petersburg, 484–495.

Kir’yak, M.A. 2000: Preodolenie (chitaya dnevniki N.N. Dikova). Kolymskie vesti 8, 78–81.

Kon’, U.S., Ponkratova I.Yu., 2016: Nauchnaya biografi ya akademika N.N. Dikova, http://www. scienceforum.ru/2016/1557/18869

Lakatos, I. 1995: Metodologiya nauchnyh issledovatel’skih programm. Voprosy fi losofi i 4, 135– 154.

Lebedintsev, A.I. 2001: N.N. Dikov – issledovatel’ drevnih kul’tur Severo-Vostoka Rossii. In: A.I. Lebedintsev (ed.), Dikovskie chteniya: Materialy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii, posviashchennoy 75-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya chlena-korrespondenta RAN N.N. Dikova. Magadan, 5–10.