download PDF

Abstract

The authors define the historical and social aspects of the activity of Church institutions in Tyumen. The problems, arising at the organization and work of charitable societies with church participation in the city of Tyumen, are designated; the active role of priests in clerical, educational and charitable work with the population is emphasized by the authors. The aim of the investigation presented is to describe the process of the infl uence of church on the local society. The authors believe the charitable activity of the orthodox church in Tyumen was suffi ciently extensive in the 19th – 20th centuries, including school teaching, preaching, working in hospitals and prisons, etc. The article describes the active infl uence of Orthodox Church in Tyumen in establishment of some charitable organizations to help poor people, orphans and widows, especially in the sphere of education, in order to raise living and culture standards for the local population.

Keywords

Russian history, Tyumen, church, society, clerical education, charity

Alexander V. Trifonov

Tyumen State University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Viktor I. Usanov

Orthodox gymnasium, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Almuhametova, M.Sh. 2004: Tobolskiy dom trudolyubiya. In: 16 Slovtsovskie Chteniya. Materialy 16 Vserossiyskoy nauchno-practicheskoy konferentsii. Ch. 1.Tyumen, 22–23.

Dеgаltsеvа, Е.А. 2002: Оbshchestvennaya blagotvoritelnost’ Zapadnoi Sibiri v 19-nachale 20 veka, http:// zaimka.ru/degaltseva-charity/

Еrmolinа, Е.G. (red.) 1998: Zhitiya sibirskih svyatyh. Nоvоsibirsk.

Кurmachev, V.А. 2002: Tserkov’ Nerukotvornogo оbrazа Hristа Spasitelia v Тyumeni. Тyumen. Оbzоr Тоbоlskоi gubеrnii zа 1895 gоd.1897. Тоbоlsk.

Polovinkin, N.S., Chеrnyshоv, А.V. 1991: Rоl’ Тоbоl’skоi еpаrhii v sistеmе оbrаzоvаniya i рrоsvеshchеniya v кrае. XVIII – nаchаlо XX вв. In.: Rеligiya i tsеrkоv v Sibiri 2. Тyumen, 14–21.