download PDF

Abstract

The author refers to the consideration of the barrows of Turkic-speaking nomads of the second half of the 1st millennium AD in the steppe zone of the Volga-Ural and Western Kazakhstan. There are only few such monuments in the region, and they are characterized by various features of the funeral ritual. They were obviously left by representatives of various ethnic groups of the medieval nomads, small in numbers, which occupied the steppe Ural-Caspian corridor for a short time. The reasons of low population density of these regions are still not well understood (possible military-political or ecological and climatic reasons are only assumed). Kurgan Donguz due to its characteristics resembles to the monuments of the late Western Turkic khanate, Atpa burial mounds reveals similarities with the Kimaks. In other cemeteries (Tamar- Utkul, Yaman, et al.) things reminding ancient nomadic Khazars and Bulgarians were found. However, the author states ethnic interpretations only in the preliminary way, because of the small number of the studied objects, fragmented artifacts discovered by archaeologists and the lack of a representative source base. Unifying features of the funeral rites, so-called “equestrian accessories” (stirrups and so forth), weapons items (arrowheads, parts of the composite bow, etc.), the headset typesetting belts are considered.

The era of “desolation” of East European steppes (to the east of the Trans-Volga) is completed in 9th – 10th centuries, when there among the whole territory a signifi cant number of tribal alliance monuments Pechenegs appears, followed by Oguz and Kipchak (but the realities of this process occurred at the beginning of the 2nd millennium AD).

Keywords

Prairie mounds, the second half of the 1st millennium, the Volga-Ural region

Gennady N. Garustovich

Institute of History, Language and Literature Ufa Scientifi c Center RAS, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Ambroz, A.K. 1973: Stremena i syedla rannego srednevekov’ya kak hronologicheskiy pokazatel’ (IV–VIII vv.). Sovetskaya arheologiya 4, 81–98.

Bisembaev, A.A., Gutsalov, S.Yu. 1996: Srednevekovye pogrebeniya s territorii Aktyubinskoy oblasti. Voprosy arheologii Zapadnogo Kazahstana 1, 245–258.

Bisembaev, A.A., Gutsalov, S.Yu. 2006: Istoriya Zapadnogo Kazahstana: v 2 t. T. I. Aktobe.

Bisembaev, A.A., Fomenko, A.S. 2016: Kompleks sluchaynyh nahodok rannego srednevekov’ya iz peschanyh massivov srednego techeniya Uila. Materialy mezhdunarodnoy nauchnometodicheskoy konferencii «VIІІ Orazbaevskie chteniya», 1–2 aprelja 2016 g. Almaty, 201–204.

Bisembaev, A.A., Tasmagambet, G.S. 2004: Issledovaniya avariynogo mogil’nika Solyanka. Izvestiya NAN Kazahstana 1, 65–70.

Botalov, S.G. 2007: Gunny i tyurki (istoriko-arheologicheskaya rekonstrukciya). Chelyabinsk.

Demkin, V.A., Demkina, T.S., Borisov, A.V., Jakimov, A.S., Sergatskov, I.V. 2004: Izmenenie pochv i prirodnyh usloviy polupustynnogo Zavolzh’ya za poslednie 4000 let. Pochvovedenie 3, 271–283.

Evtyuhova, L.A. 1948: Stremya tanskoy epohi iz Uybatskogo chaatasa. Kratkie soobshheniya Instituta istorii material’noy kul’tury XXIII, 40–44.

Garustovich, G.N., Ivanov, V.A. 2001: Oguzy i pechenegi v evraziyskih stepyah. Ufa.

Gutsalov, S.Yu. 1993: Pogrebenie srednevekovogo voina v vostochnyh otrogah Mugodzhar. In: A.D. Tairov (red.), Kochevniki uralo-kazahstanskih stepey. Ekaterinburg, 162–166.

Hohlova, O.S. 1996: Morfologo-geneticheskiy analiz hronoryadov pochv kurgannyh grupp Pokrovka 1, 2 i 10 v 1995 godu. Kurgany levoberezhnogo Ileka 4, 61–72.

Hohlova, O.S., Hohlov, A.A. 2005: Paleopochvennye issledovaniya kurgannogo mogil’nika Mustaevo V v Novosergievskom rayone Orenburgskoy oblasti. Arheologicheskie pamyatniki Orenburzh’ya VII, 50–69.

Ibn Hordadbeh 1986: Kniga putey i stran. Perevod s arab. N. Velihanovoy. Baku.

Ivanov, V.A. 2001: Srednevekovye pogrebeniya mogil’nika Tamar-Utkul’ na Ileke. Arheologicheskie pamyatniki Orenburzh’ya 5, 155–161.

Ivanov, V.A., Garustovich, G.N., Pilipchuk, Ya.V. 2014: Srednevekovye kochevniki na granice Evropy i Azii. Ufa.

Kriger, V.A. 1979: Pogrebeniya i sluchaynye nahodki IX–XI vv. na territorii Ural’skoy oblasti. Drevnyaya istoriya Povolzh’ya. Nauchnye trudy KGPI 230, 174–179.

Martines-Navarrete, M.I., Visent-Garsiya, H.M., Lopes-Garsiya, P., Lopes-Saec, H.A., de Zavala-Morenkos, I., Dias-del’-Rio, P. 2005: Metallurgicheskoe proizvodstvo na Kargalah i rekonstrukciya okruzhayushchey sredy. Rossiyskaya arheologiya 4, 84–91.

Ovchinnikova, B.B. 1990: Tyurkskie drevnosti Sayano-Altaya v VI–X vekah. Sverdlovsk.

Savin, A.M., Semyenov, A.I. 1998: O central’no-aziatskih istokah luka hazarskogo tipa. Voennaya arheologiya. Oruzhie i voennoe delo v istoricheskoy i social’noy perspektive. Materialy mezhdunarodnoy konferencii, 2–5 sentyabrya 1998 g. Saint-Petersburg, 290–295.

Semyenov, A.I. 1988: K vyyavleniyu central’noaziatskih elementov v kul’ture rannesrednevekovyh kochevnikov Vostochnoy Evropy. Arheologicheskiy sbornik GE 29, 97–111.

Tishkin, A.A., Seregin, N.N. 2011: Predmetnyy kompleks iz pamyatnikov kyzyl-tashskogo etapa tyurkskoy kul’tury (2-ya polovina V – 1-ya polovina VI v. n.e.): tradicii i novacii. Teoriya i praktika arheologicheskih issledovaniy. Barnaul.

Zhelezchikov, B.F. 1998: Arheologicheskie pamyatniki Ural’skoy oblasti. Volgograd.