download PDF

Abstract

The article discusses the results of systematic and multidisciplinary archaeological surveys in the upper reaches of one of the largest and deepest lakes in the Crimea – Donuzlav, which separates Tarkhankut from the rest of the peninsula. This area was of the great connecting value during the all historical periods: it was the path of the nomads from the steppes to the winter pastures and natural shelters extended into the sea on Tarkhankut Peninsula. The studies were conducted on a comprehensive methodology that combines analysis of satellite images and archival aerial photography, magnetic surveys, automobile-walking exploration and selective excavations. Thus, in 2012–2016 eight settlements of local tribes of the Hellenistic period, two settlements of the Late Bronze Age, a large number of stone mounds and “classic” earthen Scythian burial were revealed and investigated in the upper Donuzlav. The Iron Age settlements belong to Dzhangul ethno-cultural group, common in the Northwest Crimea. In ancient times three ethno-social groups: Greeks-colonists, Scythian nomads and the settled local population coexisted there. In Late Bronze Age settlement Donuzlav 7 by means of magnetic survey a double stone corral the largest diameter of 50 m has been found. This is already the eleventh monument of this type in the North-West Crimea. It was only possible to identify it with the help of magnetometer. Geochemical analysis of soil layer proved that they are precisely corrals. The fi nd of the double corrals is a breakthrough in the archeology of the Late Bronze Age, not only in the Crimea, but also throughout the northern Black Sea coast.

Keywords

Northwest Crimea, Donuzlav Lake, Late Bronze Age, Early Iron Age, satellite images, magnetic survey, Dzhangul ethno-cultural group

Tatyana N. Smekalova

V.I. Vernadsky Crimean Federal University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Blavatskiy, V.D., Peters, B.G. 1966: Podvodnye raboty na dne Chernogo morya okolo Donuzlava. Arheologicheskie otkrytiya 1965 11, 12. Moscow.

Kolotyhin, V.A. 2003: Pozdniy bronzovyy vek Kryma. Kiev.

Mushketov, I.V. 1895: Zametka o proishozhdenii krymskih solyanyh ozer. Gornyy zhurnal 2, 344–392.

Oliferov, A.N., Timchenko, Z.V. 2005: Reki I ozera Kryma. Simferopol.

Pavlenkov, V.I. 1987: Ablemitskoe gorodishche na ozere Donuslav v Krymu. In: Zadachi sovetskoy arheologii v svete resheniy XXVII s”ezda KPSS. Moscow.

Smekalova, T.N. 2012: Arheologicheskaya karta beregov Donuslavskogo ozera P.N. Shultsa i sovremennye issledovaniya v dannom rayone. In: Materialy k arheologicheskoy karte Kryma 8, 2, Simferopol, 9–221.

Smekalova, T.N., Kutaisov, V.A. 2017: Arheologicheskiy atlas Severo-Zapadnogo Kryma. Pozdniy bronzovyy vek. Ranniy zheleznyy vek. Antichnost’. Saint-Petersburg.

Hrapunov, I.N., Smekalova, T.N., Vlasov, V.V. 2010: Arheologicheskie razvedki v predgornom Krymu mezhdu dolinami rek Biyuk-Karasu I Belbek. In: Materialy k arheologicheskoy karte Kryma 4, Simferopol.

Chang, C., Tourtellotte, P.A. 1993: Ethnoarchaeological Survey of Pastoral Transhumance Sites in the Grevena Region, Greece. Journal of Field Archaeology 20, 249–264.