download PDF

Abstract

The article deals with the traditional public feasts of the Roman world during Late Antique period. The main goal is to determine the dynamics of their implementation and relevance in the Western Empire of the 5th century AD. The author focuses on studying popular non-Christian entertainments such as Lupercalia, consular and praetor games, and the ceremony of the Emperor’s entry into the city (adventus). The basic research problem is to identify the reasons for practice of holding traditional non-Christian mass arrangements preservation against the established Christianity in the fifth century. The main sources were the works of 4th – 5th centuries AD Latin authors such as Salvianus, Macrobius, Flavius Merobaudes, Symmachus, Sidonius, papal correspondence and calendars. The usage of the methods of historical philological analysis (lexico-terminological and hermeneutic) let the author interpret the texts of Late Antique writers, taking into account the specifi city of sources. The author concludes that these entertainments, pagan, have not lost its attractiveness for representatives of various categories of the population not only during the 5th century AD, but also out of this period. The model of behavior of noblemen assuming the holding of public feasts for the confi rming of their high social status serves as one of the foundation of preservation the traditional arrangements practice. The second reason was to define the tries of imperial administration to conform the Late Roman society habits to Church authoritative position. Finally, we have to take into account the attitude of the most Romans to spectacles as the means of severities distraction.

Keywords

Public feasts, paganism, Christianity, West Roman Empire, 5th century AD

Elena V. Litovchenko

Belgorod State National Research University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Barnes, T.D. 1995: Statistics and the Conversion of the Roman Aristocracy. Journal of Roman Studies 85, 135–147.

Clover, F.M. 1971: Flavius Merobaudes: A Translation and Historical Commentary. Transactions of the American Philosophical Society, New Series Vol. 61 (1), 1–78.

Ewald, B.C., Noreña, C.F. 2010: The Emperor and Rome: Space, Representation, and Ritual. Yale Classical Studies 35. Cambridge–New York.

Goroncharovskiy, V.A. 2009: Arena i krov’: Rimskie gladiatory mezhdu zhiz’n’yu i smert’yu. Saint-Petersburg.

Jones, C.W. 1934: Polemius Silvius, Bede, and the Names of the Months. Speculum Vol. 9 (1), 50–56.

Kazakov, M.M. 2002: Hrristianizatsiya Rimskoy imperii v IV veke. Smolensk.

Lançon, B. 2001: Rome in Late Antiquity. Everyday Life and Urban Change, A.D. 312–609. Edinburgh.

Lee, A.D. 2000: Pagans and Christians in Late Antiquity. A sourcebook. London–New York.

Liebeschuetz, J.H.W. G. 2008: Administration and Politics in the Cities of the Fifth to the Mid Seventh Century: 425–640. In: Av. Cameron, B. Ward-Perkins, M. Whitby (eds.), Cambridge Ancient History Vol. XIV. Late Antiquity: Empire and Successors, A.D. 425–600. Cambridge, 207–237.

MacCormack, S. 1972: Change and Continuity in Late Antiquity: the Ceremony of Adventus. Historia Bd. 21, 721–752.

MacCormack, S. 1975: Roma, Constantinopolis, the Emperor, and his Genius. The Classical Quarterly Vol. 25 (01), 131–150.

MacCormack, S. 1990: Art and Ceremony in Late Antiquity (Transformation of the Classical Heritage). California.

Martindale, J.R. et al. 1980: The Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire Vol. II, 395–527. Cambridge.

McLynn, N. 2008: Crying Wolf: The Pope and the Lupercalia. Journal of Roman Studies 98, 161–175.

Moorhead, J. 1992: Theoderic in Italy. Oxford.

North, J.A., McLynn, N. 2008: Postscript to the Lupercalia: from Caesar to Andromachus. JRS 98, 176–181.

Salzman, M.R. 1991: On Roman Time: The Codex-Calendar of 354 and the Rhythms of Urban Life in Late Antiquity (The Transformation of the Classical Heritage 17). Berkeley.

Salzman, M.R. 2004: The Making of a Christian Aristocracy. Social and Religious Change in the Western Roman Empire. Harvard.

Ukolova, V.I. 2010: Antichnoe nasledie i kul’tura rannego srednevekov’ya: Konets V – seredina VII veka. Мoscow.

Vedeshkin, M.A. 2014: Yazycheskaya intellektual’naya elita Vostochno-Rimskoy imperii v V– VI вв. In: M.S. Petrova (red.), Intellektual’nye traditsii v proshlom i nastoyashchem. Vyp. 2. 153–192.

Vinnichuk, L. 1988: Lyudi, nravy i obychai Drevney Gretsii i Rima. Per. s pol’sk. V.K. Ronina. Мoscow.

Ward-Perkins, B. 2008: The Cities: The Impact of Christianity. In: Av. Cameron, B. Ward-Perkins, M. Whitby (eds.), The Cambridge Ancient History Vol. XIII. The Late Empire, A.D. 337–425. Cambridge, 392–403.

Zalesskaya, V.N. 1973: Ob odnom ukrashenii vizantiyskoy mebeli. Visantiyskiy vremennik T. 34 (59), 196–199.

Zvirevich, V.T. (red.) 2009: Makrobiy. Saturnalii; per. s lat. i grech., prim. i slovar’ V.T. Zvirevich. Ekaterinburg.