download PDF

Abstract

The article is devoted to the analysis of one known fragment of Ctesias of Cnidus, Greek author of the second half of the 5th – the beginnings of the 4th century BC. In his work “Persica”, he talks about a sea raid of the satrap of Cappadocia Ariaramnes to the lands of European Scythia, during which a number of captives including the brother of the Scythian king Marsaget was taken. According to Ctesias, the Ariaramnes’ action preceded a campaign of Darius I against the Scythians in 512 BC. Ctesias’ information about Ariaramnes’ expedition is unique; any other ancient author does not mention this event. Herodotus who describes in detail the attempt of the Persians to conquer Scythia also says nothing about the Ariaramnes’ action. At the same time, the considered passage of Ctesias has a number of parallels with the content of line 20–30 of column V of the Behistun inscription, where it is spoken about Darius’ conquest of the Central Asian Saka-Massagetae. Scientists have already noted this fact, and it has been suggested that in both cases this is about the same event. However, there are not only similarities but also differences in the text of Ctesias and the Behistun inscription. This fact, as well as the general reputation of Ctesias as an unreliable author, constantly attempting to “correct” Herodotus, to add to his story unknown to the Greeks events, allows us to assume that his report about the campaign of Ariaramnes is rather a distorted transmission of the text of the Behistun inscription, which he put in a different historical context, having changed at the same time some details.

Keywords

Ctesias, Ariaramnes, the Behistun inscription, Scythians, Saka

Tatyana Yu. Shashlova

Saratov State University named after N. G. Chernyshevsky, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Agbunov, M.V. 1987: Antichnaya lotsiya Chernogo morya. Moscow.

Briant, P. 2002: From Cyrus to Alexander. A History of the Persian Empire. Winona Lake.

Chernenko, E.V. 1984: Skifo-persidskaya voyna. Kiev.

Dandamaev, M.A. 1963: Iran pri pervyh Ahemenidah. Moscow.

Dandamaev, M.A. 1985: Politicheskaya istoriya Ahemenidskoj derzhavy. Moscow.

Dandamaev, M.A. 2013: Ahemenidskaya imperiya. Sotsial’no-administrativnoe ustroystvo i kul’turnye dostizheniya. Saint-Petersburg.

Descat, R. 1990: Remarques sur les rapports entre les Perses et la mer Noire à lʹépoque achéménide. In: Congrès international sur la mer Noire1–3 juin 1988 à Samsun. Samsun, 539–548.

D’yakonov, I.M. 1956: Istoriya Midii. Moscow– Leningrad.

Gaydukevich, V.F. 1969: O putyahr prohrozhdeniya drevnegrecheskihr korabley v Ponte Evksinskom. Kratkie soobshheniya instituta arhreologii 116, 11–19.

Koshelenko, G.A. 1999: Ob odnom svidetel’stve Diodora o ranney istorii Bosporskogo tsarstva. In: A.V. Podosinov (red.), Drevneyshie gosudarstva Vostochnoy Evropy. 1996–1997. Moscow, 130–141.

Kuzishchin, I.V. (red.) 2002: Istoriya drevnego Vostoka. Teksty i dokumenty. Moscow.

Maksimova, M.I. 1954: Kratkiy put’ cherez Chernoe more i vremya ego osvoeniya grecheskimi morehrodami. Materialy i issledovaniya po arhreologii SSSR 33, 45–57.

Maksimova, M.I. 1956: Antichnye goroda Yugo-Vostochnogo Prichernomor’ya. Moscow– Leningrad.

Nieling, J. 2010: Persian Imperial Policy Behind the Rise and Fall of the Cimmerian Bosporus in the Last Quarter of the Sixth to the Beginning of the Fifth Century BC. In: J. Nieling, E. Rehm (ed.), Achaemenid Impact in the Black Sea. Communication of Powers. Aarhus, 123–136.

P’yankov, I.V. 1975: Ktesiy kak istorik. In: Antichnaya drevnost’ i srednie veka 11. Sverdlovsk, 52–57.

Saprykin, S.Yu. 1986: Gerakleya Pontiyskaya i Hrersones Tavricheskiy. Moscow.

Stronk, J.P. 2010: Ctesias’ Persian History. Part 1. Introduction, Text and Translation. Düsseldorf.

Struve, V.V. 1946: Dariy I i skify Prichernomor’ya. Vestnik drevney istorii 2, 15–28.

Summerer, L. 2003: Achämenidische Silberfunde aus der Umgebung von Sinope. Ancient Civilizations from Scythia to Siberia 9, 1–2, 17–42.

Surikov, I.E. 1999: Istoriko-geografi cheskie problemy Pontiyskoy ekspeditsii Perikla. Vestnik drevney istorii 2, 98–113.

Yaylenko, V.P. 2010: Voennaya aktsiya Dariya I na Kimmeriyskom Bospore. In: Tysyacheletniy Bosporskiy reyhr. Istoriya i epigrafi ka Bospora VI v. do n.e. – V v. n.e. Moscow, 7–11.