download PDF

Abstract

The article is the fi rst one in a series devoted to nicknames of well-known people in Greece of pre-Hellenistic time. It is mainly expressed general considerations about the role of nicknames in human societies (including Ancient Greek), relations of nicknames to personal names and divine epithets, terminology of nicknames among the Greeks, possible reasons of not very wide development of the practice of nicknaming in Greece of this period. A nickname is a fundamental phenomenon of the history of culture, and its real signifi cance has not been appreciated yet. Nicknames, in particular, served as means of distinction of individuals within any society. The names of the ancient Greeks always initially reminded nicknames as much as possible. Onomastic units in Greek poleis were mainly meaningful. Nicknames can relate – not from a semantic, but from an emotional point of view – to three basic types. We deal with nicknames of a) a positive, glorious character (“Olympian” as to Pericles”); b) a negative, conjuring character (“Koalemos” – “Simpleton” as to Cimon the Elder); c) a neutral character – those just shows a certain characteristic appearance of an individual (e.g., “One-Eyed”), or some kind of memorable detail of his biography (Hipponicus the “Ammon” in Athens at the turn of the 6th and 5th centuries BC). In pre-Hellenistic time one more interesting thing took place. Nicknames are more often connected not with politicians but with people from cultural spheres – poets, philosophers.

Keywords

Greece, Archaic and Classical periods, nicknames, names, onomastic studies, cult epithets.

Igor E. Surikov

Institute of World History of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Barbantani, S. 2014: “Déjà la pierre pense où votre nom s’inscrit”: Identity in Context in Verse Epitaphs for Hellenistic Soldiers. In: R. Hunter, A. Rengakos, E. Sistakou (eds.), Hellenistic Studies at a Crossroads: Exploring Texts, Contexts and Metatexts. Berlin–Boston, 301–334.

Bourriot, F. 1976: Recherches sur la nature du genos: Étude d’histoire sociale athénienne. Periodes archaïque et classique. Lille–Paris.

Boutouropoulou, I. 2009: Le voyage d’Apollon au pays des hypervoréens ou la fascination d’un mythe culturel. In: S. Tzitzis, M. Protopapas-Marneli, B. Melkevik (éds.), Mythe et justice dans la pensée grecque. Québec, 59–69.

Brenne, S. 2001: Ostrakismos und Prominenz in Athen: Attische Bürger des 5. Jhs. v.Chr. auf den Ostraka. Wien.

Budin, S.L. 2016: Artemis. London–New York.

Burkert, W. 1999: Die Artemis der Epheser: Wirkungsmacht und Gestalt einer grossen Göttin. In: H. Friesinger, F. Krinzinger (Hgg.), 100 Jahre österreichische Forschungen in Ephesos. Wien, 59–70.

Cole, S.G. 1998: Domesticating Artemis. In: S. Blundell, M. Williamson (eds.), The Sacred and the Feminine in Ancient Greece. London–New York, 24–38.

Crawford, M. 2000: Mirabilia and Personal Names. In: S. Hornblower, E. Matthews (eds.), Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence. Oxford, 145–148.

Deacy, S. 2008: Athena. London–New York.

Dubois, L. 2000: Hippolytos and Lysippos: Remarks on Some Compounds in Ἱππο-, -ιππος. In: S. Hornblower, E. Matthews (eds.), Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence. Oxford, 41–52.

Duplouy, A. 2010: Observations sur les noms en -ίδηςet en -άδης aux époques archaïque et classique. In: L. Capdetrey, Y. Lafond (éds.), La cité et ses élites: Pratiques et représentation des formes de domination et de contrôle social dans les cités grecques. Paris, 307–344.

Fowler, R. 2006: ‘This Tart Fable’: Daphne, and Apollo in Modern Women’s Poetry. In: V. Zajko, M. Leonard (eds.), Laughing with Medusa: Classical Myth and Feminist Thought. Oxford, 381–398.

Fraser, P.M. 2000: Ethnics as Personal Names. In: S. Hornblower, E. Matthews (eds.), Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence. Oxford, 149–157.

Gabelko, O.L. 2014: Antigon Monoftal’m i Antigon Fusk: k interpretatsii dvuhr prozvishch ellinisticheskihr monarhrov. Antiquitas aeterna 4, 119–130.

Gabelko, O.L. 2015: Neofi tsial’nye prozvishcha ellinisticheskihr praviteley: predvaritel’naya hrarakteristika fenomena. In: Yu.V. Kulikova (red.), Drevniy mir: istoriya i arhreologiya. Moscow, 62–66.

Habicht, Chr. 2000: Foreign Names in Athenian Nomenclature. In: S. Hornblower, E. Matthews (eds.), Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence. Oxford, 119–127.

Hansen, M.H. 2004: The Use of Sub-Ethnics as Part of the Name of a Greek Citizen of the Classical Period: The Full Name of a Greek Citizen. In: T.H. Nielsen (ed.), Once Again: Studies in the Ancient Greek Polis. Stuttgart, 117–129.

Harrison, E.B. 2005: Athena at Pallene and in the Agora of Athens In: J.M. Barringer, J.M. Hurwit (eds.), Periklean Athens and its Legacy: Problems and Perspectives. Austin, 119–131.

Hatzopoulos, M. 2000: ‘L’histoire par les noms’ in Macedonia. In: S. Hornblower, E. Matthews (eds.), Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence. Oxford, 99–117.

Herman G. 1990: Patterns of Name Diffusion within the Greek World and Beyond. Classical Quarterly 40, 2, 349–363.

Hornblower, S. Personal Names and the Study of Ancient Greek Historians. In: S. Hornblower, E. Matthews (eds.), Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence. Oxford, 129–143.

Kanavou, N. 2011: Aristophanes’ Comedy of Names: A Study of Speaking Names in Aristophanes. Berlin–New York.

Knoepfler, D. 2000: Oropodoros: Anthroponymy, Geography, History. In: S. Hornblower, E. Matthews (eds.), Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence. Oxford, 81–98.

Krystalli-Votsi, K., Østby, E. 2014: The Temples of Apollo at Sikyon. Ιn: B. Alroth, C. Scheffer (eds.), Attitudes towards the Past in Antiquity. Creating Identities. Stockholm, 191–200.

Kuz’mina, Yu.N. 2007: Sinkretichnost’ kulta Artemidy Efesskoy. In: E.V. Smykov, A.V. Mosolkin (red.), Antiquitas iuventae: Sbornik nauchnyhr trudov studentov i aspirantov. Saratov, 63–68.

Lateiner, D. 2005: Signifying Names and Other Ominous Accidental Utterances in Classical Historiography. Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies 45, 35–57.

Likofron 2011: Aleksandra (perevod s drevnegrecheskogo i kommentariy I.E. Surikova). Vestnik drevney istorii 1, 219–233; 2, 234–267.

Malkin, I. 1985: What’s in a Name? The Eponymous Founders of Greek Colonies. Athenaeum 63, 114–130.

McInerney, J. 2015: “There will be Blood…”: The Cult of Artemis Tauropolos at Halai Araphenides. In: K.F. Daly, L.A. Riccardi (eds.), Cities Called Athens: Studies Honoring John McK. Camp II. London, 289–320.

Morpurgo Davies, A. 1986: Forms of Writing in the Ancient Mediterranean World. In: G. Baumann (ed.), The Written Word: Literacy in Transition. Oxford, 51–76.

Morpurgo Davies, A. 1992: Mycenaean, Arcadian, Cyprian and Some Questions of Method in Dialectology. In: J.-P. Olivier (éd.), Mykenaïka: Actes du IXe Colloque international sur les textes mycéniens et égéens organisé par le Centre de l’Antiquité Grecque et Romaine de la Fondation Hellénique des Recherches Scientifi ques et l’École française d’Athènes. Paris, 415–432.

Morpurgo Davies, A. 2000: Greek Personal Names and Linguistic Continuity. In: S. Hornblower, E. Matthews (eds.), Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence. Oxford, 15–39.

Parke, H.W. 1967: The Oracles of Zeus: Dodona, Olympia, Ammon. Cambridge Mass.

Parker, R. 2000: Theophoric Names and the History of Greek Religion. In: S. Hornblower, E. Matthews (eds.), Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence. Oxford, 53–79.

Petrovic, I. 2010: Transforming Artemis: from the Goddess of the Outdoor to City Goddess. In: J.N. Bremmer, A. Erskine (eds.), The Gods of Ancient Greece: Identities and Transformations. Edinburgh, 209–227.

Ranulf, S. 1933–1934: The Jealousy of the Gods and Criminal Law at Athens. Vol. 1–2. Copenhagen.

Rogers, G.M. 2012: The Mysteries of Artemis of Ephesos: Cult, Polis, and Change in the Graeco- Roman World. New Haven–London.

Schachter, A. 1994: The Politics of Dedication: Two Athenian Dedications at the Sanctuary of Apollo Ptoieus in Boeotia. In: R. Osborne, S. Hornblower (eds.), Ritual, Finance, Politics: Athenian Democratic Accounts Presented to D. Lewis. Oxford, 291–306.

Schwarze, J. 1971: Die Beurteilung des Perikles durch die attische Komödie und ihre historische und historiographische Bedeutung. München.

Shapiro, H.A. 1982: Kallias Kratiou Alopekethen. Hesperia 51, 1, 69–73.

Stamires, G.A., Vanderpool, E. 1950: Kallixenos the Alkmeonid. Hesperia 19, 4, 376–390.

Surikov, I.E. 2000: Dva ocherka ob afi nskoy vneshney politike klassicheskoy epochi. In: O.L. Gabelko (red.), Mezhgosudarstvennye otnosheniya i diplomatiya v antichnosti. Ch. 1. Kazan’, 95–112.

Surikov, I.E. 2006: Ostrakizm v Afi nahr. Moscow.

Surikov, I.E. 2009a: Novye nabludeniya v svyazi s onomastiko-prosopografi cheskim materialom afinskih ostrakonov. Voprosy epigraphiki 3, 102–127.

Surikov, I.E. 2009b: Udalyayushchiesya amazonki (Gendernaya mifologiya i gendernaya geografiya v drevnegrecheskihr potestarnyhr predstavleniyahr). Adam i Eva 17, 7–39.

Surikov, I.E. 2012: Ob etimologii nazvaniy Fanagorii i Germonassy (k postanovke problemy). Drevnosti Bospora 16, 440–469.

Surikov, I.E. 2015a: Antichnaya Gretsiya: Mentalnost’, religiya, kultura. Moscow.

Surikov, I.E.2015b: Afi nskie Fanagory. Drevnosti Bospora 19, 340–350.

Surikov, I.E. 2015v: Eshche raz o proishrozhdenii nazvaniya Fanagorii. Bosporskie issledovaniya 31, 325–333.

Tataki, A.B. 2011: Frequent Names and Local History. Tekmeria 10, 233–247.

Trümper, M. 2014: Bathing in the Sanctuaries of Asklepios and Apollo Maleatas at Epidauros. In: A. Avramidou, D. Demetriou (eds.), Approaching the Ancient Artifact: Representation, Narrative, and Function. A Festschrift in Honor of H.A. Shapiro. Berlin–Boston, 211–231.

Tsymburskiy, V.L. 1990: Laomedont – epikleza Poseidona? (k raznochteniyam v st. 157 “Aleksandry” Likofrona). In: A.A. Takho-Godi, I.M. Nakhov (red.), Antichnost’ v kontekste sovremennosti. Moscow, 66–75.

Unbegaun, B.O. 1989: Russkie familii. Moscow.

Uspenskiy, F.B. 2001: K voprosu o proishrozhdenii russkihr otchestv. In: E.A. Mel’nikova (red.), Vostochnaya Evropa v drevnosti I srednevekov’e. Genealogiya kak forma istoricheskoy pamyati. Moscow, 182–186.

Winters, T.F. 1993: Kleisthenes and Athenian Nomenclature. Journal of Hellenic Studies 113, 162–165.