download PDF

Abstract

This article is devoted to the forecasting by the Egyptians of the important events of their history by means of the fi rst rising of Sirius. In particular, the author examines the papyrus 1116 B recto (The Prophecy of Neferti), a well-known literary work dated to the Middle Kingdom (1991–1785 BC), which is kept in the Hermitage Museum. Having experienced the infl uence of Egypt, ancient people used the rising of this star to predict the major social disasters, crop failure, pestilence and natural disasters. The greater part of the evidence is known from ancient times. However, the Egyptian civilization created the fi rst solar calendar based on the Sirius cycles. Therefore, it is evident that the Egyptians could have been the ones where these predictions could appear for the fi rst time. In particular, such a forecast was presented by a priest of the goddess Bastet Neferti to appeal to the king Snofru (2613–2589 ВC). However why, in that case the Middle Kingdom monument mentions the name of the king of more ancient era, the era of construction of the great pyramids?

The author concludes that tragic events described in this text resemble those that happened at the beginning of the Old Kingdom (2767 BC), when the practice of observations over Sirius’ rising was established in Memphis for the fi rst time. Imhotep, a famous Djoser’s architect, played an important part in this event and became a prototype of the prophecy’s main character.

Keywords

Ancient Egypt, religion, Nefertiti’s Prophecy, Sirius, Imhotep, Djoser, Snofru

Roman A. Orekhov

Center for Egyptological Studies RAS, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Begelsbacher-Fischer, B. 1981: Untersuchungen zur Götterwelt des Alten Reiches. Im Spiegel der Privatgräber der IV und V. Dynastie. Göttingen.

Bergman, J. 1968: Ich bin Isis. Studien zum memphitischen Hintergrund der griechischen Isisaretalogien. Uppsala.

Bergman, J. 1970: Isis-Seele und Osiris-Ei. Zwei ägyptologische Studien zu Diodorus Siculus I 27, 4-5. Uppsala-Stockholm.

Berlev, O.D. 1999: Dva perioda Sotisa mezhdu godom 18 tsaria Senu, ili Tosortrosa, i godom 2 faraona Antonina Piya. In: Drevniy Egipet: yazyk, kul’tura, soznanie. Moscow, 42–62.

Berlev, O.D., Hrodzhash, S.I. 2004: Skul’ptura drevnego Egipta v sobranii Gosudarstvennogo muzeya izobrazitel’nyhr iskusstv imeni A.S. Pushkina. Moscow.

Blumenthal, E. 1982: Neferti, Prophezeiung des. In: Lexikon der Ägyptologie. Wiesbaden. 381– 382.

Blumenthal, E. 1996: Die literarische Verarbeitung der Übergangszeit zwischen Altem und Mittlerem Reich. In: A. Loprieno (Hg.), Ancient Egyptian Literature. History and Forms (Probleme der Ägyptologie 10). Leiden–New York–Köln, 105–135.

Borchardt, L. 1913: Das Grabdenkmal des Königs Sahure’. Bd. II: Die Wandbilder. Leipzig.

Clagett, M. 1995: Ancient Egyptian Science: Calendars, Clocks and Astronomy. Vol. II. Philadelphia.

Demidchik, A.E. 2005: Drevneishee astrologicheskoe prorochestvo. Vestnik Novosibirskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta 4/3, 5–13.

Dreyer, G. 1998: Umm El-Qaab I: Das prädynastische Königsgrab U-j und seine frühen Schriftzeugnisse. Mainz am. Rheine.

Edel, E. 1955: Altägyptische Grammatik I. Roma.

Gödicke, H. 1977: The Protocol of Neferyt – The Prophecy of Neferti (The Johns Hopkins Near Eastern studies). Baltimore–London.

Golénischeff, W. 1913: Les papyrus hié ratiques no. 1115, 1116A et 1116B de l’Ermitage Impé rial à St.-Pé tersbourg. Saint–Petersburg.

Hannig, R. 2003: Ägyptisches Wörterbuch I. Altes Reich und Erste Zwischenzeit. Mainz am. Rheine.

Hannig, R. 2006: Ägyptisches Wörterbuch II. Mittleres Reich und Zweite Zwischenzeit. Teil 2 Mainz am. Rheine.

Harpur, Y. 2001: The tombs of Nefermaat and Rahotep at Rahotep at Maidum: discovery, destruction and reconstruction. Oxford.

Helck, W. 1992: Die Prophezeinung des Nfr.ti. Wiesbaden.

Hoenes, S.-E. 1976: Untersuchungen zu Wesen und Kult der Göttin Sachmet. Bonn.

Ivanov, Vyach. Vs. 2009: Drevnebalkanskiy i obshcheindoevropeiskiy tekst mifa o geroe – ubiytse psa i evraziyskie paralleli. Izbrannye trudy po semiotike i istorii kul’tury. Tom V. Mifologiya i fol’klor. Moscow.

Kaplony, P. 1963: Die Inschriften der Ägyptischen Frühzeit. Bd. I–III. Wiesbaden.

Keren’i, K. 2007: Dionis: proobraz neissyakaemoy zhizni. Moscow.

Korostovtsev, M.A. 1978: Povest’ Peteise III: drevneegipetskaya proza. Moscow.

Lacau, P., Lauer, J.-Ph. 1959: La Pyramide á Degrés. T. IV / IFAO. Le Caire.

Lacau, P., Lauer, J.-Ph. 1965: La Pyramide à degrés. T. V. Inscriptions à lʼencre sur les vases. Le Caire.

Leitz, Ch. 2002: Lexikon der Ägyptischen Götter und Götterbezeichnungen. Bd. II. Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 111. Leuven–Paris–Dudley.

Lichtheim, M. 1975: Ancient Egyptian Literature: The Old and Middle Kingdoms. Berkeley–Los Angeles–London.

Orehov, R.A. 2014: Mir stroiteley piramid: epohra Drevnego tsarstva. Saint-Petersburg.

Posener, G. 1956: Littérature et politique dans l’Égypte de la XIIe Dynastie. Paris.

Ray, J. 1976: The archive of Ḥor. Egypt Exploration Society. London.

Sethe, K. 1984: Urkunden der 18. Dynastie. Text der Hefte 13–16. Berlin.

Shehrab El’-Din, T.M. 1993: Avtobiografi ya v drevnem Egipte v epohru IV–VIII dinastii: dis. … kand. ist. nauk. Saint-Petersburg.

Shtaerman, E.M. 1993: Manilii i ego vremya. In: Astronomika: nauka o goroskopahr. Moscow.

Simpson, W.K. (ed.) 1973: An Anthology of Stories, Instructions, Stelae, Autobiographies and Poetry Yale.

Smith, H.S., Andrews, C.A.R., Davies, S. 2011: The Sacred Animal Necropolis at North Saqqara. The Mother of Apis Inscriptions. Vol. II: Commentaries and Plates. Egypt Exploration Society. London.

Strudwick, N. 1985: The Administration of Egypt in the Old Kingdom. London.

Struve, V.V. 1926: Zametki k papirusam ermitazhnogo sobraniya. Gosudarstvennyy Ermitazh. Vyp. III. Leningrad.

Struve, V.V. 1963: Hrrestomatiya po istorii drevnego Vostoka. Moscow.

Stuchevskiy, I.A. 1976: Propaganda gosudarstvennogo tsentralizma v hrudozhestvennoy literature drevnego Egipta (po dannym «Prorochestva Neferti» i «Recheniya Ipusera»). In: Tutanhramon i ego vremya. Moscow, 144–155.

Van-der-Varden, B. 1991: Probuzhdayushchayasya nauka. Rozhdenie astronomii. Ch. 2. (per. G.E. Kurtika). Moscow.

Vassoevich, A.L. 1998: Duhrovnyy mir narodov klassicheskogo vostoka (istoriko-psihrologicheskiy metod v istoriko-fi losofskom issledovanii). Saint-Petersburg.

Vinson, S. 2009: The names Naneferkaptah, Ihweret, and Tabubue in the First tale of Setne Khaemwas. JNES 4, Vol.68, 283–304.

Wildung, D. 1969: Die Rolle ägyptischer Könige im Bewusstsein ihrer Nachwelt. Teil I. Posthume Quellen über die Könige der ersten vier Dynastien. Berlin.

Wildung, D. 1977: Imhotep und Amenhotep. Gottwerdung im alten Ägypten. München–Berlin. Zoroastriyskie teksty 1997: per. s pehrlevi O.M. Chunakovoy. Moscow.