download PDF

Abstract

The author analyzes the payment processes of pensions, salaries and social benefi ts to soldiers and their families in the USSR, Third Reich and Great Britain during World War II. The author tries to compare payments to soldiers who served in the armies of those countries. Moreover the author compares and analyzes social benefi ts provided to families of military personnel and food prices in the USSR, Germany and Great Britain. The article also shows the regulation system of paying social benefi ts. The author concludes that the average amount of social benefi ts was not high enough to ensure an adequate standard of living, besides a lot of families faced misunderstanding and administrative barriers.

Keywords

World War II, social policy, military personnel families, monetary allowances, pensions, social benefits

Artem E. Lubeckiy. Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Aralov, V.A. (red.) 1947: Sbornik materialov po gosudarstvennomu obespecheniju invalidov vojny I semej voennosluzhashhih. Moscow.

Crafts, N., Gazeley, I., Newell, A. 2007: Work and pay in twentieth-century Britain. New York.

Grossman, H. 1943: Administration of Family Allowances for Men in Military Service. Cornell Law Rev 29, 217–232.

Hately-Broad, B. 2002: Prisoner of War Families and the British government during the second World War: PhD dissertation. Sheffi eld University.

Lavrov, A. 1939: 18 sezd Vsesojuznoj kommunisticheskoj partii 10–21 marta. Moscow.

Livshin, A. Ja., Orlov, I.B. (sost.) 2003: Sovetskaja povsednevnost’ i massovoe soznanie 1939– 1945. Moscow.

Lysenkov, S.G. 2003: Mehanizm gosudarstvennogo obespechenija semej voennosluzhashhih v period Velikoj Otechestvennoj vojny 1941–1945 gg.: organizacionno-pravovye aspekty. Istorija gosudarstva i prava 6, 48–51.

Paderin, A.A. 1997: Gosudarstvo na strazhe svoih zashhitnikov. L’goty. Garantii. Posobija. Voenno-istoricheskij zhurnal 5, 6–10.

Zolotarev, V.A. (red.) 1997: Velikaja Otechestvennaja: Prikazy narodnogo komissara oborony SSSR. 22 ijunja 1941 g.–1942 g. T. 13. Moscow.