download PDF

Abstract

Ottawa and Berlin perceived the collapse of the Soviet Union, the victory of the Western model and the beginning of globalization as a good time to solve global problems and to strengthen peace and security. They actively supported the signing of the Kyoto Protocol on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and made a signifi cant contribution to the establishment of the International Criminal Court. Canada and Germany played an important role in promotion of international projects which were related to disarmament and nuclear non-proliferation. There is no doubt that Canada and Germany had a great contribution to the signing of the Ottawa Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention, The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty and implementation of the international program “Global Partnership”. Ottawa and Berlin shared the concept of humanitarian intervention, which meant that the international community had the right to intervene in the internal affairs of sovereign states to ensure the safety of civilians and that was why both countries took part in the bombing of Yugoslavia. However, the governments of Canada and Germany did not support American and British invasion to Iraq in 2003, because they did not believe the evidence presented by Washington that Iraq produced the mass destruction weapons and because Americans did not get the resolution for military operation against Saddam Hussein from UN Security Council. Ottawa and Berlin were ready to criticize Washington, not accepting the US claim to global hegemony, the habit of Americans to use the military power too often, their practice of unilateral actions and ignoring the views of the allies on key issues of international security.

Keywords

Canada, Germany, global issues, international security, disarmament, nuclear non-proliferation

Aleksey G. Ivanov. Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Axworthy, L. 1999: General arguments in favor of a nuclear test ban, http://debatepedia.idebate. org/en/index.php/Argument:_General_arguments_in_favor_of_a_nuclear_test_ban

Barnsley, I. 2006: Dealing with change: Australia, Canada and the Kyoto Protocol to the Framework Convention on climate change. The Round Table 95, 399–410.

Bogush, G.I., Trikoz, E.N. (red.) 2008: Mezhdunarodnyj ugolovnyj sud: problemy, diskussii, poisk reshenij. Moscow.

Egorov, A.I. 2011: Diplomaticheskoe uchastie Germanii v konfl ikte vokrug Iraka (2001– 2003 gg.). Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya. Politologiya. Regionovedenie. Vestnik Nizhegorod skogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo 5, 268–274.

Frolov, A. 2003: Germaniya i process likvidacii izbytochnyh yadernyh vooruzhenij v Rossii. Voprosy bezopasnosti 3, 4–14.

Haake, M. 2000: German’s landmine policy in the twilight, http://www.landmine.de/fi lead min/ user_upload/pdf/Publi/LM2000.pdf

Ivanov, A.G. 2009: Kanada i CHelyabinskaya oblast’: kontury sotrudnichestva (1990-e – 2000-e gg.). In: A.G. Ivanov (red.), Aktual’nye problemy istorii Kanady: sovremennye podhody otechestvennoj novistiki: sbornik nauchnyh trudov pamyati professora G.I. Luzyanina. Magnitogorsk, 214–232.

Ivanov, A.G. 2013: Kanada i vojna v Irake 2003–2011 gg. In: A.P. Kosov (red.), Aktual’nye problemy mezhdunarodnyh otnoshenij i diplomatii (vtoraya polovina XX – nachalo XXI v.): materialy mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii, Vitebsk, 25–26 aprelya 2013 g. Vitebsk, 83–87.

Kas’yanova, A.A. 2002: Kanada i «bezopasnost’ lichnosti»: koncepciya i politika. SSHA – Kanada: ehkonomika, politika, kul’tura 8, 36–53.

Latkov, A.S. 2015: Balkanskoe napravlenie vneshnej politiki FRG (1991–2014 gg.): dis. kand. ist. nauk. Moscow.

Molochkov, S.F. 2002: Kanado-amerikanskie otnosheniya. In: V.I. Sokolov (red.), Kanada: vzglyad iz Rossii. Ekonomika, politika, kul’tura. Mocsow, 171–184.

Nelles, W. 2002: Canada’s Human Security Agenda in Kosovo and Beyond: Military Intervention versus Confl ict Prevention. International Journal 57, 459–479.

Nikonov, E.G. 2007: Germanskaya politika po uregulirovaniyu regional’nyh konfl iktov na postyugoslavskom prostranstve 1991–1999 gg.: avtoref. dis. kand. ist. nauk. Kazan’.

Pavlov, N.V. 2009: V poiskah «novogo nachala». Ob amerikano-germanskih otnosheniyah. Mezhdunarodnaya zhizn’ 4, 26–38.

Sedyh, S.V. 2011: Novaya ehnergeticheskaya strategiya FRG. Vestnik Finansovogo universiteta 1, 61–66.

Shakleina, T.V. (red.) 2002: Vneshnyaya politika i bezopasnost’ sovremennoj Rossii. 1991–2002. Hrestomatiya v chetyrekh tomah. Moscow.