download PDF

Abstract

The article discusses the phenomenon of tolerance in a linguo-axilogical aspect. The author studies the development of the tolerance integral understanding in the historical process (from the instrumental signifi cance to the meaning of the moral virtue) and the emergence of the tolerance ideology in the modern society.

On the basis of the Internet communication analysis and the questionnaires the evaluative connotations of the word tolerance, the parameters of the tolerance consciousness are identifi ed, the attitude of the Russians towards tolerance is interpreted. It has been proved that in the naive language consciousness of the Russians tolerance is characterized by the ambivalence.

Three groups of respondents are identifi ed: people who clearly recognize the value of tolerance; people for whom tolerance has situational value; individuals who deny tolerance as a value. The factors which contribute to an ambivalent attitude to the socio-cultural phenomenon are singled out.

Firstly, the meaning of the word tolerance in the Russian language is ambiguous and vague. The concept “tolerance” according to the results of the survey possesses the antipodal conceptual characteristics: on the one hand, “tolerance”, “respect”, “confl ictlessness” which belong to the national-mental values of the Russian nation and support the meliorative connotations of the notion under study; and on the other hand, indifference, invariance, hypocrisy which intensify its pejorative assessment.

Secondly, the areas of social life with an adequate usage of this term are uncertain.

In the opinion of the majority of the informants tolerance must have limits and there are such social phenomena where tolerance is not applicable.

The third factor is the intensifi cation of the antiglobalisation process, protests against the West expansion and intensifi cation the national self-determination feelings. The third factor is the intensifi cation of the antiglobalisation process, protests against the West expansion and intensifi cation of the national self-determination feelings. Tolerance has substituted such traditional for the Russian mentality notions as morality, spirituality, respect, and a great part of the Russian society opposes to this tendency.

Keywords

Axiology, tolerance, values, ambivalence, connotations

Olga А. Mikhaylova. Ural Federal University named after the fi rst President of Russia B. N. Yeltsin, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Goudsblom, J. 2007: Tolerantie en macht. In: Duyvendak, JW., Engbersen, G., Teeuwen, Moscow, Verhoeven, I. (eds.), Macht en verantwoordelijkheid. Essays voor Kees Schuyt. Amsterdam, 43–53.

Homjakov, M.B. 2000: Problema tolerantnosti v hristianskoj fi losofi i: avtoref. dis. … d-ra fi los. nauk. Ekaterinburg.

Marcuse, H. 1969: Repressive Tolerance. In: Robert Paul Wolff, Barrington Moore, jr., and Herbert Marcuse, A Critique of Pure Tolerance. Boston, 95–137.

Mihajlova, O.A. 2003: Tolerantnost’ i terpimost’: vzgljad lingvista. In: N.A. Kupina i M.B. Homjakov (red.), Filosofskie i lingvokul’turologicheskie problemy tolerantnosti. Ekaterin burg, 99–111.

Mihajlova, O.A. 2004: Tolerantnost’ v rechevoj kommunikacii: kognitivnye, pragmaticheskie i jeticheskie osnovanija. In: N.A. Kupina, O.A. Mihajlova (red.), Kul’turnye praktiki tolerantnosti v rechevoj kommunikacii. Ekaterinburg, 15–26.

Perunova, N.V. 2013: Cennostno-arhetipicheskij kompleks: struktura i tipologija. Moscow.

Samohvalova, V.I. 2008: O soderzhanii ponjatija «tolerantnost’» v sovremennom kul’turnom kontekste. Filosofskij zhurnal 1, 161–175.

Shmeleva, T.V. 1993: Kljuchevye slova tekushhego momenta. Collegium 1, 33–41.

Sternin, I.A. 2003: Tolerantnost’ i kommunikacija. In: N.A. Kupina i M.B. Homjakov (red.), Filosofskie i lingvokul’turologicheskie problemy tolerantnosti. Ekaterinburg, 331–345.

Verkuyten, M. 2007: Tolerance of Muslim beliefs and practices: Age related differences and context effects. International Journal of Behavioral Development 31(5), 467–477.

Vogt, WP 1997: Tolerance & Education. Learning to Live with Diversity and Difference. Thousand Oaks; London; New Delhi.