download PDF

Abstract

The article is devoted to the circumstances of Decius’ publication edict about general sacrifi ce, which was issued six months later after the emperor had come to power in AD 249. The edict provoked the fi rst persecution of Christians across all the empire. Unnoticed by the Roman historians, the circumstances of the event became known due to the writings of Christian authors, who assumed Decius to be a persecutor of believers. The content and purpose of the edict has still been debated in the scholarship. Christian interpretation of the Emperor’s policy has been criticized since the end of the 19th century. The discovery of the certifi cates issued to donors, which content shows that the sacrifi ce to the emperor was made by the entire population of the state, precluded that the edict was directed against Christians. According to new interpretation, its aim was to present the sacrifi ce of the Emperor as a revival of “traditional Roman religion”. However, this idea also faced criticism because sacrifi ces were made not only in the traditional temples of the Roman gods. The fact that Christians in the middle of the 3rd century weren’t threat to Rome, is noteworthy. Decius, who came to power in a bloody civil war, had domestic political opponents among the usurpers, supporters of the deposed Philip the Arab, and other malcontents. The information presented in the article is based on the whole complex of few in number sources, especially on the hagiographic tradition, and develops the hypothesis that the religious policy of Decius was a qualitative development of the imperial cult, which accidental, but inevitable, victims were Christians.

Keywords

Decius, Roman Empire, martyrs, hagiography, Cyprian of Carthage

Alexsey V. Kargaltsev. Saint Petersburg University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alföldy, A. 1967: Studien zur Geschichte der Weltkrise des 3. Jahrhunderts nach Christus. Darmstadt.

Alföldy, G. 1989: Die Krise des römischen Reiches. Geschichte, Geschichtsschreibung und Geschichtsbetrachtung. Wiesbaden.

Babcock, C.L. 1962: An Inscription of Trajan Decius from Cosa. The American Journal of Philology 83 2, 147–158.

Bianchi, A. 1983: Aspetti della politica economico-fi scale di Filippo l’Arabo. Aegyptus 63, 52-66.

Bleckmann, B. 2006: Zu den Motiven der Christenverfolgung des Decius. Deleto paene imperio Romano. In: K.-P. Johne , T. Gerhardt, U. Hartmann (eds), Transformationsprozesse des Römischen Reiches im 3. Jahrhundert und ihre Rezeption in der Neuzeit. Stuttgart, 57–71.

Bludau, A. 1931: Die ägyptischen Libelli und die Christenverfolgung des Kaisers Decius. Freiburg i.Br.

Bolotov, V.V. 1903: Goneniya na hristian pri Nerone. In: Bolotov V. V. (ed), I. Goneniya na hristian pri Nerone. II. K voprosu ob Acta Martyrum Scilitanorum. Saint-Petersburg, 1–17.

Bolotov, V.V. 1994: Lektsii po istorii Drevney Tserkvi. Ch. 2: Istoriya Tserkvi v period do Konstantina Velikogo. Moscow.

Burckhardt, J. 1880: Die Zeit Constantin’s des Grossen / 2. Auf. Leipzig.

Clarke, G.W. 1973: Double-Trials in the Persecution of Decius. Historia: Zeitschrift für Alte Geschichte 22, 650–663.

Fargnoli, I. 2014: Tückischer Tyrann oder glänzender Herrscher? Zur Gesetzgebung des Kaisers Decius. In: M. Schermaier, R. Fiori, E. Metzger, J.-P. Coriat (eds), Inter cives necnon peregrinos. Goettingen, 199–217.

Fedosik, V.A. 1991: Kiprian i antichnoe hristianstvo. Minsk.

Franchi de’Cavalieri, P. 1908: Osservazioni sulle leggende dei ss. martiri Mena e Trifone. 2. Della leggenda di s. Pancrazio Romano. 3. Intorno ad alcune reminiscenze classiche nelle leggende agiografi che del IV secolo. Roma.

Frend, W.H.C. 1965: Martyrdom and Persecution in the Early Church. Oxford.

Huttner, U. 2006: Zwischen Traditionalismus und Totalitarismus. Zur Ideologie und Praxis der Regierung des Kaisers Decius. In: K.-P. Johne , T. Gerhardt, U. Hartmann (eds), Deleto paene imperio Romano. Transformationsprozesse des Römischen Reiches im 3. Jahrhundert und ihre Rezeption in der Neuzeit. Stuttgart, 37–50.

Keresztes, P. 1979: The Imperial Roman Government and the Christian Church I: From Nero to the Severi. Aufstieg und Niedergang der römischen Welt l. II. 23 1, 247–315.

Kienast, D. 1996: Romische Kaisertabelle. Grundzuge einer romischen Kaiserchronologie. 2, durchges. und erw. Aufl ., Studienausg. Darmstadt.

Knipfi ng, J.R. 1923: The libelli of the Decian persecution. The Harvard Theological Review 16, 345–390.

Knyazkiy, I.O. 1999: Imperator Diokletian i konets antichnogo mira: Gosudarstvennyie i pravovyie reformyi nachala dominata. M.

Körner, C. 2002: Philippus Arabs. Berlin.

Marucchi, O. 1974: Christian Epigraphy: An Elementary Treatise with a Collection of Ancient Christian Inscriptions Mainly of Roman Origin. Unchanged repr. of the 1911 ed. Chicago.

Massebieau, L. 1884: Les sacrifi ces ordonnés à Carthage au commencement de la persécution de Decius. Revue de l’histoire des religions 9, 65–84.

Mennen, I. 2011: Power and status in the Roman Empire, AD 193–284. Leiden–Boston.

Millar, F. 1973: The Imperial Cult and the Persecutions. The imperial cult and persecutions, Le culte de souverains dans l’empire Romain. Geneva, 143–175.

Nock, A.D.A. 1930: Diis Electa: A Chapter in the Religious History of the Third Century. Harvard Theological Review 23, 251–274.

Oborn, G.T. 1933: Why Did Decius and Valerian Proscribe Christianity? Church History 2 22, 67–77.

Panteleev, A.D. Aktyi Karpa, Papila i Agotoniki. Antiquitas Aeterna 3, 295–307.

Panteleev, A.D. 2005: Hristianstvo v Rimskoy imperii vo II-III vv. k probleme vzaimootnosheniy novyih religioznyih techeniy i traditsionnogo obschestva i gosudarstva: avtoref. diss… kand. ist. nauk. Saint-Petersburg.

Panteleev, A.D. 2005: Hristiane v pravlenie Marka Avreliya. Mnemon 4, 305–316.

Pohlsander, H.A. 1986: The Religion Policy of Decius. Aufstieg und Niedergang der römischen Welt l II. 16. 3, 214–222.

Rives, J. B. 1999: The Decree of Decius and the Religion of Empire. The Journal of Roman Studies 89, 1826–1842.

Roasenda, P. 1927: Decio e i libellatici. Didascaleion 5, 31–68.

Santos Yanguas, N. 1994–1995: Decio y la persecucion anticristiana. Memorias de Historia Antigua, 15–16, 143–181.

Schoenaich, G. 1910: Die Libelli und ihre Bedeutung für die Christenverfolgung des Kaisers Decius. Breslau, 3–38.

Schwarz, J. 1947: Une declaration de sacrifi ce du temps de Dece. Revue Biblique 3, 365–369.

Selinger, R. 2002: The Mid-Third Century Persecutions of Decius and Valerian. Frankfurt am Main–Berlin–Bern–Bruxelles–New York–Oxford–Wien.

Sordi, M. 1986: The Christians and the Roman Empire. London.

Syme, R. 1971: Emperors and Biography: Studies in the Historia Augusta. Oxford.

Tsirkin, Yu.B. 2009: Imperator Detsiy: popyitka vozrozhdeniya Rima. Mnemon 8, 313-328.

Volchkov, A.S. 2008: Rimskoe zakonodatelstvo otnositelno religioznyih i professionalnyih soyuzov. Mnemon 7, 321–344

Williams, T.B. 2013: Persecution in 1 Peter: Differentiating and Contextualizing Early Christian Suffering. Leiden–Boston.