download PDF

Abstract

The article is devoted to the analysis of Cicero’s concept “friendsip” (amicitia). The author of the article defi nes the degree of infl uence that the Greek philosophers had on Cicero’s interpretation of friendship. The article also deals with the question of originality of Cicero’s reasoning about friendship as well as the political connotation of the term amicitia.

Cicero characterizes the true and perfect friendship based not on profi t but on agreement in affairs, benevolence and affection. Friendship originates from nature and emerges due to goodwill. It is important both in happiness and in misfortunes. Friendship is an integral part of a decent and virtuous life. Friendship is stronger than family ties. Only honest, virtuous, wise, generous, self-confi dent, reliable and sociable people are worthy of friendship. Cicero gives examples of such people among the Roman aristocrats (Cato, Tiberius Gracchus the Older, Publius Scipio the African and others). People inclined to excessive delight and pleasures as well as fl atterers, scoundrels and betrayers are not worthy of friendship.

Love and similarity of tempers are the reasons for friendship. It is terminated due to different interests, marriage,competition, fame, greed, enmity, hatred, crime.Maintaining friendship is possible due to mutual respect, moral acts, communication on equal terms.

Cicero’s interpretation of friendship is undoubtedly infl uenced by the Greek philosophers (Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Xenophon, Polybius, Peripatetics and others). Nevertheless, he offers original ideas. For example, he disagrees with Aristotle about people who are inclined to friendship: Aristotle considers weak people to seek protection and help in friendship, whereas Cicero’s true friendship is not based on profi t. There is also a difference in their opinions concerning the kinds of friendship: Aristotle recognizes three kinds of friendship (based on a virtue, utility or pleasure), while Cicero acknowledges only friendship based on a virtue. Besides, Cicero’s thoughts about friendship are imbued with the Roman spirit: he gives many examples about Roman citizens and relies on his wide political experience. It must be stated that Cicero’s term ‘friendship’ has a political connotation: he believes that requirements of friendship should not contradict the state’s interests, people should not betray the motherland for the sake of a friend.

To sum up, Cicero’s term ‘friendship’ is a combination of the ancient Greek ideas about friendship, the so called pure ethics, and the Roman notions of amicitia, which have a political connotation.

Keywords

Rome, Cicero, friendship, amicitia

Arina M. Bragova. Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University named after N.A Dobrolyubov, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Bragova, A.M. 2005: Mark Tulliy Ciceron ob idealnom grazhdanine i gosudarstve: dissertatsiya na soiskaniye uchyonoy stepeny kandidata istoricheskikh nauk. Nizhny Novgorod.

Gorenshtein, V.O. 1974: Ciceron v gody grazhdanskoy voiny 49–45 gg. i diktatury Tsezarya. Dialogy “O starosty” I “O druzhbe”. In: Tsiceron. O starosty. O druzhbe. Ob obyazannostyakh. M., 175–191.

Temnov, E.I. 1999: Ciceron – orator, politik, pravoved. In: M.T. Ciceron. O gosudarstve. O zakonakh. O starosty. O druzhbe. Ob obyazannostyakh. Rechy. Pisma. M., 5–40.

Utchenko, S.L. 1977: Politicheskiye ucheniya Drevnego Rima. Moscow.

Shtal, I.V. 1966: Ponyatiye “druzhba” i evolutiya esteticheskogo ideala cheloveka v rimskoi literature I veka do nashey ery (po proizvedeniyam Cicerona i Katulla). In: Voprosy antichnoy literatury i klassicheskoy fi lologii. Moscow, 281–292.

Brunt, P.A. 1965: Amicitia in the Late Republic. In: Proceedings of the Cambridge Philological Society 191, 1–20.

Brunt, P.A. 1988: The fall of the Roman Republic. Oxford.

Collins, W.L. 1871: Cicero. London.

Falconer, W. (ed.). 1959: Cicero: De Senectute, De Amicitia, De Divinatione. London – Cambridge.

Gruber-Miller, J. 2009: Exploring Relationships: Amicitia and Familia in Cicero’s De Amicitia. In: Classical World 103/1, 88–92.

Habinek, Th.N. 1990: Towards a History of Friendly Advice: The Politics of Candor in Cicero’s De Amicitia. In: Martha Nussbaum (ed), The Poetics of Therapy. Apeiron 23, 4.

Haskell, H.J. 1942: This was Cicero: Modern politics in a Roman toga. New York.

Hellegouarc’h, J. 1963: Le vocabulaire latin des relations et des partis politiques sous la republique. Paris.

MacKendrick, P. 1989: The Philosophical Books of Cicero. New York.

Nicgorski, W. 2004: Cicero’s distinctive voice on friendship. De amicitia and De re publica. In: Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association. Chicago, Sept, 2–5, 1–10, http:// www.allacademic.com//meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/0/6/1/7/4/pages61740/p61740-1.php

Powell, J. 1990: Cicero: On Friendship and The Dream of Scipio. Warminster.

Stockton, D. 1971: Cicero: A Political Biography. Oxford.

Syme, R. 1939: The Roman Revolution. Oxford.

Taylor, L.R. 1949: Party Politics in the Age of Caesar. Los Angeles.