download PDF

Abstract

This article examines the terms used by Titus Livius in his “Ab urbe candita” for designation of embassies and ambassadors. Livius calls the embassy in Rome delegations (legationes), and ambassadors – the legates (legati), speakers (oratores) and getlinestyle (caduceatores). As a result of the conducted analysis it has been found that the legations terms and legati were used by Livy to denote offi cial missions as a Roman, and foreign states and communities. The other two terms– oratores and caduceatores – Livius meant messengers with oral instructions, negotiators and military envoys. Using the terms “legati”, “oratores”, “caduceatores” Livius wished to emphasize in each case of their use, any of the functions performed by the ambassadors, as the Roman Republic and other states.

Keywords

Ancient Rome, diplomacy, caduceatores, legati, oratores

Lydmila M. Shmeleva. Каzan Federal University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Danilov, E.S. 2011: Voyna I razvedyvatel’naya deyatel’nost’ v antichnom Rime. Yaroslavl’.

Dvoretskiy, I. Kh. 1976: Latinsko-russkiy slovar’. Moscow.

Kashcheev, V.I. 1993: Ellinisticheskiy mir I Rim. Voyna, mir I diplomatiya v 220–146 gg. do n.e. Moscow.

Netushil, I.V. 1894: Ocherki rimskikh gosudarstvennykh drevnostey. In: Gosudarstvennoe ustroystvo Rima do Avgusta. Khar’kov.