download PDF

Abstract

The article deals with the specifi c features of Greek patriotism in the history of Ionia of the 8th – 6th centuries BC. The aristocratic nature of power in the Ionian communities, semi-barbarian origin of the ruling elite, which had political, friend and matrimonial ties with the aristocracy of the eastern neighbors is a distinctive feature of the social and ethno-political identity of the Ionian policies. It was refl ected in the concept of polis patriotism and collaboration with the enemies and in political practices of the Ionians. At the beginning of the Archaic period the Ionians’ patriotism was associated with activity of Pan-Ionian military-political alliance. By the 6th century BC the political development and status of each Ionian polis in relations with the eastern states gave the individualism in needs and interests of each state separately. All this caused the lack of unity and solidarity among the Ionian states in the course of the Ionian revolt, the pragmatism in relations with Lydia and the Achaemenids. The author does not determine these facts as a betrayal or collaboration, and considers them as a special manifestation of the Ionian polis patriotism.

Keywords

Patriotism, treachery, collaboration, Ionia, Ionian revolt

Marina Yu. Lapteva. Tobolsk Pedagogical Institute named after D. I. Mendeleyev (branch) of the University of Tyumen in Tobols, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Akurgal, M. 2007: Hellenic Architecture in Smyrna 650–546. In: J. Cobet, V. von Graeve, W-D. Niemeier, K. Zimmerman. (hrsg.). Frühes Ionien eine Bestandsaufnahme. Panionion – Symposion Güzelçamli 26 September–1 Oktober 1999. Mainz am Rhein, 125–136.

Akurgal, M. 2009: Bayrakli Höyügünde, Arkaik Döneme ait Küҫük Bir Mezarlik ve Bazi Buluntular. Türkiye Bilimler Akademisi Arkeoloji Dergisi 2, 51–71.

Frolov, E. D. 1991: Fakel Prometeya. Leningrad.

Greaves, A.M. 2010: The Land of Ionia: Society and Economy in the Archaic Period. Malden.

Greaves, A.M., Rubinstein, L. 2004: Ionia. In: M. H. Hansen and T. H. Nielsen (eds.), An In-ventory of Archaic and Classical Poleis. An Investigation Conducted by The Copenhagen Polis Centre for the Danish National Research Foundation. Oxford, 1053–1107.

Huxley, G.L. 1972: The Early Ionians. 2 nd. ed. New York.

Jeffery, L.H. 1978: Archaic Greece. The City-States c. 700–500 B. C. London.

Karpyuk, S.G. 2014: Vzgljady Ksenofonta na patriotism. Mnemon. Issledovaniya i publikatsii po istorii antichnogo mira 14, 347–356.

Kobylina, M.M. 1965: Milet. Moscow.

Kraay, C.M. 1976: Archaic and Classical Greek Coins. London.

Lapteva, M.Yu. 2006: Panioniy: amfi ktionia, simmakhia ili etnicheskiy soiuz. Studia Historica VI, 3–24.

Lapteva, M.Yu. 2007: Meliiskaia voina v istorii arkhaicheskoi Ionii. Antiquitas aeterna 2. Voina, armia i voennoe delo v antichnom mire. Kazan–Nizhniy Novgorod–Saratov, 9–18.

Lapteva, M.Yu. 2009: U istokov drevnegrecheskoi tsivilizatsii: Ionia XI–VI vv. do n. e. Saint-Petersburg.

Lur’e, S.Ya. 1947: Gerodot. Moscow–Leningrad.

Rung, E.V. 2013a: Ponyatie patriotism i ego drevnegrecheskie konnotatsii. Problemy istorii, fi lologii, kul’tury 2 (40), 304–314.

Rung, E.V. 2013b: Panellinizm i midizm v istorii Fiv klassicheskogo perioda. Mnemon 12, 81–98.

Surikov, I.E. 2014: Grecheskaya arkhaika kak istoricheskaya epokha: sovremennyy vzglyad. Pervaya polovina (IX–VIII vv. do n. e.). Mnemon 14, 27–50.

Tumans, Kh. 2012: Skol’ko patriotizmov bylo v Drevney Gretsyy? Studia historica XII, 3–32.