download PDF

Abstract

The academic activity in the North regions of the Soviet Union in 1930s – 1941 is examined in the article. The beginning of this period is related to reorganization of the Academy of Sciences and it’s factually «sovietization», the ending – to the restructuring of work in accordance with the requirements of wartime. The paper shows the meaning of implementation of the most important academic initiatives: The Kola complex expedition, expeditions on Pechora, the expedition to Wrangel Island in 1938, Yakutsk Expedition of the Council for the Study of Production Forces and the Obruchev Permafrost Institute in 1938–1940 and other. In this regard, the key factors that have had an impact on the scope and vectors research in the Russian Arctic were determined (strategic activity vector chosen by the governing body of the Academy under the infl uence of the government authorities and connected with the provision of the economic and business development of the country; the social and political situation existing in the Soviet Union, and occurrence of the new important actors – The Chief Directorate of the Northern Sea Route and structures that were affi liated with the People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs). The main directions of academic initiatives are shown in the article. Also the features of the selected period in the history of Academy of Sciences study of the region (development of stationary researches, activation of scientifi c and advisory work, the infl uence of repression on scientific potential) and its value for the development of fundamental and applied knowledge were noted.

Keywords

Arctic, Yakutia, Kola Peninsula, Asian North, The Academy of Sciences of the USSR, researches, expeditions

Alexsandr A. Suleymanov, Institute for Humanities Research and Indigenous Studies of the North, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Boyakova, S.I. 1995: Glavsevmorput v osvoenii i razvitii Severa Yakutii (1932 – iyun 1941 g.). Novosibirsk.

Vasilev, V.N. 1936: Ekspeditsii Soveta po izucheniyu proizvoditelnyih sil v 1935 g. Vestnik AN SSSR 2, 11–20.

Vittenburg, E.P. 2003: Pavel Vittenburg: geolog, polyarnik, uznik GULAGa. Saint-Peterburg.

Granberg, A.G. 2005: O razvitii proizvoditelnyih sil Yakutii. K 80-letiyu Yakutskoy kompleksnoy ekspeditsii. Vestnik RAN 12, 1132.

Granberg, A.G., Shtulberg, Yu.M., Adamesku, A.A. i dr. 2005: Sovet po izucheniyu proizvoditelnyih sil. Etapyi stanovleniya i razvitiya. 1915–2005. Moscow.

Gubkin, I.M. (red.) 1932: Ekspeditsii Vsesoyuznoy Akademii nauk 1931 g. Leningrad.

Gubkin, I.M. (red.) 1933: Ekspeditsii Vsesoyuznoy Akademii nauk SSSR 1932 g. Leningrad.

Gubkin, I.M. (red.) 1934: Ekspeditsii Akademii nauk SSSR 1933 g. Leningrad.

Gubkin, I.M. (red.) 1936: Ekspeditsii Akademii nauk SSSR 1934 g. Moscow-Leningrad.

Gubkin, I.M. (red.) 1937: Ekspeditsii Akademii nauk SSSR 1935 g. Moscow- Leningrad.

Danileyko, V.A. 2013: Nauchnyie organizatsii 1920–1930-h gg. i ih rol v izuchenii Severa Sibiri. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Istoriya 2, 166–169.

Ermolaeva, Yu.N. 2001: Yakutskaya kompleksnaya ekspeditsiya 1925–1930 gg. Razvitie nauki v Yakutii. Novosibirsk.

Zelyak, V.G. 2004: Pyat metallov Dal’stroya: istoriya gornodobyivayuschey promyishlennosti Severo-Vostoka v 30-h – 50-h gg. XX v. Magadan.

Kamenskiy, R.M. (red.) 1997: Akademicheskoe merzlotovedenie v Yakutii. Yakutsk.

Kozlov, B.I. 2003: Akademiya nauk SSSR i industrializatsiya Rossii. Ocherk sotsial’noy istorii. 1925–1963 gg. Moscow.

Kolchinskiy, E.I. 2003: Pereezd Akademii nauk i ee leningradskie uchrezhdeniya v 1930-e godyi. In: Zh. Alferov (red.), Akademicheskaya nauka v Sankt-Peterburge v XVIII–XX vekah. Istoricheskie ocherki. Saint-Peterburg, 457–481.

Koltsov, A.V. 1988: Rol Akademii nauk v organizatsii regionalnyih nauchnyih tsentrov SSSR, 1917–1961 gg. Leningrad.

Krasnikova, O.A. 2006: Akademiya nauk i issledovaniya v Arktike: deyatel’nost Polyarnoy komissii v 1914–1936 gg., http://vivovoco.astronet.ru/VV/JOURNAL/VIET/ARCTICA.HTM.

Kudryavtsev, V.N. 1990: Novyiy status Akademii. Vestnik AN SSSR 11, 5–9.

Makarova, E.I. 2008: Zabyityie imena iz istorii Kol’skoy bazyi AN SSSR tridtsatyih godov. Tietta 6, 15–16.

Popov, A.A. 1931: Poezdka k dolganam. Sovetskaya etnografi ya 3–4, 210–212.

Popov, A.A. 1937: Tehnika u dolgan. Sovetskaya etnografi ya 1, 91–135.

Popov, A.A. 1940: Iz otcheta o komandirovke k nganasanam ot Instituta etnografi i Akademii nauk SSSR. Sovetskaya etnografi ya 3, 247–249.

Reshetov, A.M. 2011: Sovetskiy arheolog i etnograf Vasiliy Stepanovich Adrianov: «zhizn, prervannaya na vzlete». Muzey 8, 40–43.

Sambuk, F.V. 1931: Otryadyi Severnoy geobotanicheskoy ekspeditsii. Vestnik AN SSSR 9, 51–52.

Sumgin, M.I., Melnikov, P.I., Fedosov, A.E. i dr. 1942: Issledovanie vechnoy merzlotyi v Yakutskoy respublike 1. Yakutsk.

Tarakanov, M.A. Totskiy, N.M., Solovyanov, G.N. 2011: Ekonomicheskie issledovaniya v Kol’skoy baze i ih vozobnovlenie v Kolskom fi liale AN SSSR. Vestnik Kolskogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN 3, 89–107.

Fersman, A.E. (red.) 1932: Za Polyarnyim krugom. Rabotyi Akademii nauk na Kol’skom poluostrove za godyi Sovetskoy vlasti. 1920–1932 gg. Leningrad.

Shahov, A. 1935: Zemledelie i kormovaya baza basseyna Pechoryi. Sovetskiy Sever 2, 27–34.

Shirina, D.A.2001: Rossiya: nauchnoe issledovanie Arktiki. XVIII v. – 1917 g. Novosibirsk.

Shirina, D.A., Maksimova, T.P. 2014: Akademicheskaya nauka i sovetskaya vlast. 1915–1918 godyi (po materialam o proizvoditelnyih silah Rossii). In: M.V. Vasileva (red.), Fundamental’nyie i prikladnyie nauchnyie issledovaniya: voprosyi filologii, istorii, filosofii, politologii, ekonomiki i meditsinyi. M., 28–39.

Shishkin, B. 1932: Tundrovaya rastitel’nost Severnogo kraya. Vestnik AN SSSR 13, 132–136.

Shishov, A.N. 1934: K itogam poezdki Vaygachskoy brigadyi Akademii Nauk SSSR. Vestnik AN SSSR 10, 33–38.

Yanovskiy, V.K. 1932: Ekspeditsiya na Pechoru dlya opredeleniya yuzhnoy granitsyi vechnoy merzlotyi. Vestnik AN SSSR 2, 46–48.