download PDF

Abstract

The article deals with the religious and existential context of L. Andreev’s story “The Yoke of the War”. The main character Ilya Petrovich Dementiev – the modest accountant in Saint Petersburg – puts down his impressions of the First World War in a diary. The author shows the evolution of his life experience – through the alienation, existential rebellion in order to defense his unique personality – to the consciousness of the unity with all suffering people, to «sobornost’» and Christian humility. Abruptness and groundlessness of the changes of the main character’s consciousness is explained by the philosophic term “existential experience”. They may be understood in religious categories of transfi guration or conversion that allow us to consider the point of view of the author to be close to the ideas of Russian existential philosophy.

Keywords

Alienation, existential rebellion, «underground» consciousness, «sobornost’»

Natalia D. Bogatyreva, Vyatka State University of Humanities, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Andreyev, L.N. 1990–1996: Sobranie sochineniy: v 6 t. T. 6. M.

Vologina, О.V. 2005: Tvorchestvo Leonida Andreyeva v kontekste evropeyskoy literatury XX veka. Oryel.

Dostoyevsky, F.M. 1972–1990: Polnoe sobranie sochineniy: v 30 t. Khudozhestvennye proizvedeniya: tt 1–17. Т.5. Leningrad.

Ivanov, A.I. 2005: Pervaya mirovaya voyna i russkaya literature 1914–1918 godov: eticheskie i esteticheskie aspekty: dis... doktora fi lologich. nauk. Мoscow.

Ken, L.N., Rogov, L.E. 2010: Zhizn’ Leonida Andreyeva, rasskazannaya im samim i ego sovremennikami. Saint-Petersburg.

Kuz’mina, T.A. 2014: Existentsial’naya fi losofi ya. Мoscow.

Chuvakov, V.N. (sost.) 1998: Leonid Nikolaevich Andreev. Bibliografi ja. Мoscow.

Khellman, B. 1995: Malen’kiy chelovek i velikaya voyna: povest’ L.N. Andreyeva “Igo voyny”. In: “Svoye” i “chuzhoe” v literature i kul’ture. Tartu, 206–219.

Shestov, L. 1993: Sochineniya: v 2 t. Т.2. М.