download PDF

Abstract

This article is devoted to the consideration of ethno-poetry constants in spell’s tradition. The study was conducted on the material of the East and South Slavic spells, recorded at different times, in different regions. The interpretation of the city semantics in historical and culturological aspects only partially coincides with the defi nition of speech meanings of topos. Along with ordinary, everyday vision of the city as an enclosed space, uniting people, in a conspiracy eschatological semantics of a topos is the predominant. It is the conspiracy where archaic ideas about the city remain. The article identifi es several semantic fi elds formed by the topos of the city in texts of spells. In Russian conspiracies about love everyday understanding of the city as a settlement, identical with the village, i.e. places where people live, as opposed to the natural toposes dominates. In athepotropaic texts the city is closed, orderly space, opposed to the chaotic and malicious beginning. In historical and cultural perspective of the semantic identity of the city and the person goes back to biblical eschatology. However, in the spells “physicality” of the city are mainly positioned. The most extensive area of speech texts of various functional and thematic groups with the topos of the city is concerned with understanding of the city as a sacred center. The city as anticenter, another world, a world of death also goes back to biblical semantics and is found primarily in South Slavic tradition. Named semantic fi elds, generated by the topos of the city do not belong exclusively to the spell-spell tradition. However, in the spells there is a concentration of the semantics of the town and the preservation of the archaic perception of the city.

Keywords

Topos, semantics, city, spell’s tradition, semantic field

Veronika A. Moskvina, Omsk State Pedagogical University, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Agapkina, T.A., Levkievskaja, E.E., Toporkov, A.L. 2003: Polesskie zagovory (v zapisyakh 1970–1990 gg.). Moscow.

Anikin, V.P. 1998: Russkie zagovory i zaklinaniya: Materialy fol’klornykh ekspeditsiy 1953–1993 gg. Moscow.

Afanas’ev, A.N. 1869: Poeticheskie vozzreniya slavyan na prirodu. Opyt sravnitel’nogo izucheniya slavyanskikh predaniy i verovaniy v svyazi s mifi cheskimi skazaniyami drugikh rodstvennykh narodov. T. 3. Moscow.

Bolonev, F.F., Mel’nikov, M.N., Leonova, N.V. 1997: Russkiy kalendarno-obryadoviy fol’klor Sibiri i Dal’nego Vostoka: Pesni. Zagovory. Novosibirsk.

Efimenko, P.S. 1877: Materialy po etnografi i russkogo naseleniya Arkhangel’skoy gubernii. Izvestiya obshchestva ljubiteley estestvoznaniya, antropologii i etnografi i. T. 5, v. 1–2. Moscow, 139–222.

Ivanov, V.V. 2007: K semioticheskomu izucheniju kul’turnoy istorii bol’shogo goroda. In: Izbrannye trudy po semiotike i istorii kul’tury. T. 4: Znakovye sistemy kul’tury, iskusstva i nauki. Moscow, 165–179.

Klyaus, V.L. 1997: Ukazatel’ syuzhetov i syuzhetnykh situatsiy zagovornykh tekstov vostochnykh i yuzhnykh slavyan. Moscow.

Moskvina, V.A. 2005: Russkie zagovory v Zapadnoy Sibiri (XIX – nachalo XX vv.). Omsk.

Savel’ev, A.A. 1990: Lechebnye nagovory Priangarskogo kraya. Moscow.

Frank-Kamenetskiy, I.G. 1934: Zhenshchina-gorod v bibleyskoy eskhatologii. In.: I.Yu. Krach kovskiy (red.), Sergeyu Fedorovichu Ol’denburgu. K pyatidesyatiletiyu nauchnoobshchestvennoy deyatel’nosti 1882–1932. Sbornik statey. Leningrad, 535–548.

Fedorova, V.P. 2003: Chelovek i slovo v zagovorakh: Yuzhnoe Zaural’e. Konets XX veka. Kurgan.